Whats your best ever find that you then lost.......???

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one that got away???

After a recent (real stooooopid) experience I wonder if anyone else has made a good find, only to get home and cant find it? Or plucked a ring from the surf only to drop it and never ping it again?

I recently found this button along with some silver coins and they went straight into a pot of sand and seawater - only when I got home I picked out the coins and then washed the sand and button down the drain :BangHead:

And no, it was not in the trap but went straight to the septic tank..........:censored:

IMGP0478.JPG

I managed to get a picture in my truck when I was cleaning all my gear, but that's the last I ever saw of it!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Man BVI, that was a nice button you lost! It sounds like it is time to put on the HAZMAT Suit and go detecting in the Septic Tank! If you do, we don't need to read the gory details but you may have to change the name of your Garrett Sea Hunter to Garrett Poop Hunter.:dontknow::laughing7:

Frank

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first and only V Nickle, which was in pretty bad shape to begin with. I was having a yard sale and cleaning it when I got bored from lack of activity at the sale. By the end of the day, I couldn't find it anywhere. Dang it. :BangHead:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Civil War Union breastplate. I dug it in my brother's yard. His house was built on an old Union mustering camp site near the Ohio River. I let him keep the plate for a while. He worked for a metal plating company, so he decided to take it to his work and dip it in the acid cleaning tank, he said it just dissolved. Don't get many Civil War relics here in So. Indiana...that would have looked good on my keeper shelf, don't even have a picture of it.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a huge gold ring with diamonds,was in a lake and i just had to keep looking at it.................by the time i got to my truck,it was gone.i think about the ring everyday

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things are destined to travel. If I find a knife I lose it. Happens every time.

Glad it wasn't another recent find of yours. ;-)

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice 2 gram or so gold nugget in the outback of Western Australia. Popped it in my pocket instead of my nugget cup thinking to lay it on my mates at the campfire later that night. I figure at some point in time I dragged it out reaching for my dew rag and now some other lucky detectorist or hungry Emu will find it.... sigh.... not my best ever find but one that still ticks me off years later. I'm pretty sure where it is.....

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some good replies!!

Suddenly I ain't feelin so bad!! :occasion14:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much lost a find after finding one, but rather breaking a good find which is just as bad, Dug a very nice Alexander 111 penny early type that was very fragile, put it in a re sealable coin bag and then put it into my back pocket, and then later sat down and forgot I hade the coin in my pocket...yes it ended up in three pieces :sadsmiley:

SS

Attachments

• attachmentBJJ1BWV2.jpg
    attachmentBJJ1BWV2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn, the stuff you guys mention I can't even come close to. I found a small lead musket/rifle ball off the edge of my TN. ridge top driveway. I dropped it in my small gravel parking area walking back to the house. Took awhile but I found it again. "Somebody" had put Coors Light bottle caps in the driveway years ago before I got a MD...????? There's now no more musket balls in my driveway.

Another is Gina Mae.

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one that got away. Not photo shop, was on the local news and in the papers............. slide_245781_1403179_free.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably pissed myself when my buddy showed me that picture... and if I were the one who took it I'd have kept my mouth shut and showed the guy in the picture later just to watch him piss himself.... *shudder* to many flash backs from when I was a kid having watched Jaws to many times.....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The one that got away. Not photo shop, was on the local news and in the papers............. View attachment 983552

It is a good thing that that fellow did not see the shark, as he might have jumped into the tower with the Captain. Reminds me of when my two friends were snorkeling for Lobster and a big Bull Shark approached. Jim was already out of the water and in the boat but Rip was about 10 yards out with the Shark about 10 yards behind him. When I pointed and yelled Sharrrrkkkkk, Rip literally came out of the water like a Dolphin and landed on the ladder. Talking about close!

Frank

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bout an hour after finding my 1st barber quarter(awsome shape too)I spooked a rattler in the brush.bout jumped outta my skin when it sounded off.Didnt know I dumped half my goodies when I jumped.
That afternoon I realised some stuff was gone.Went back(paranoid)and got it all back only to have my daughter lose it again that eve showing it to neighbors...have detected her path across our land and neighbors...acres...no go.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a 1917 walking liberty in the ashtray of my truck along with a gold ring and traded my truck in without checking it!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funny you should ask - found a nice $200+ pair of Raybans in Fla. last year
put on the roof of my vehicle the other day - forgot them - gone now