luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only way you'll know is to get out there and detect them.
luvsdux

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
you wouldn't, .... by any chance .... be on the Columbia River of Oregon/Washington, would you ?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That's strange! I am presently working on an island trading post / fort site. Probable cache site.
I also know of a recovery of a 'good' cache from an island in the PA area. Go for it! Frank...-
Z chest.jpg

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I have never had any luck detecting local islands and rivers. I will say thought here in Northern Illinois one of the only times I have ever heard of a 1700's coin being found with a detector was on a river island. Most likely lost by fur traders or trappers.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of my hunting is done along and near rivers. That's where the history is. I mostly come home empty handed, but that's fine by me. I still find it relaxing just looking for stuff. It takes a lot of persistence. In 2011 I actually found a site with many fur trade items from the mid 1700's. The site was about 50 ft square and took me over a year to recover all that I could. It was about 30 feet from the river bank near a well known indian crossing. Here's a tip: river erosion can either cover items with silt and mud or the erosion can expose stuff by removing layers of dirt. Obviously you want to look for the latter. You'll know when you find smaller stuff near the surface that the ground has been washed away. If you find a beer can 12 inches down then that's the wrong spot. Another tip: start by looking for places where a creek or old run empties into the river. Lots of times water was not taken straight from a large river, but from a smaller creek that emptied into it. A small run from a natural spring would be the best.

Good Luck!
Swartzie

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You have to remember, waterways were the original 'roads' in this country and the islands were a safe 'Motel'. Just a thought, Frank...-
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread