Is it possible to "make a living" metal detecting?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I could sell every horseshoe I find for say $100.00 straight from the ground.... or after a bath in electrolysis and a little cleaning say for $200.00... and after I write up a certificate of authenticity that I knew who's horse it came off for say $300.00 then I could make a great living. You've given me one hell of an idea. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and no. If you are doing popular beaches with good PI machines, maybe. The question is... define COMFORTABLE. TTC

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, you can make a living being a metal detectorist.

(assuming you live in a tent, have no dependents, are receiving SSI, Medicare and something of a retirement account from some place up north and you enjoy being seen in a broken down '67 Buick with different color doors and no hood.)

There is an alternative however.

When it's discovered that pull tab's are a premium rocket fuel source for alien space ships- I'm gunna be rich!

(it's called a hobby for a reason)

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are gold prospectors in Australia that make a living just detecting. In the US though I'd reckon you'd have to have a day job.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddie and I used to to talk about it all the time...One thing about Youtubers, is the fact, the dont always find all that stuff at the same time, or the same day. I personally would have to find over a 100 dollars a day just to pay my bills, not including food/gas/anything fun (beer) :)

But trust me, it would be great, but detecting with a quota would be stressful

S

stefen

Anything is possible if you have a positive attitude and invest your time and effort...

Try it for a year then provide a one (1) word essay on its outcome...

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I view all the YouTube vids, TV shows, etc. Some of the MDing "stars" are surely comped by manufacturers, even cable companies and YT. But , can a person sustain a comfortable life by metal detecting?
Any thoughts...
Thanks
Peace

It was a tough go even in the OLD Days- over 50 years ago when nobody knew what you were doing and everything was virgin and untouched. One could easily make minimum wage(what $1.60 an hour) but silver dimes were worth 10 cents and gold was $30 an ounce. I used to take detecting trips to the east for several weeks detecting virgin sites. When I needed money for gas and food I would stop at a small town and detect around the parking meters or at a local school yard. Sort of living off the land. Banner finds every day but paying the rent- Nooo...

George

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy in Australia who claims to make 30k plus a year. He detects parks after music festivals and events. $2.00 coins add up fast.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it is possible but not probable for most people. Those who do are Professionals and not going after chump change. You'll always hear of the exceptions - either real or quite imagined. Anyone who can - more power to them.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No...its a hobby.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
GIB you got it right! When pull tabs go to 150.00 per oz.!:laughing7:

Dudes im freakin rich. How about the lime green pulltabs? When do you see tent spikes increasing in value ? Is it true that bottlecaps can are being bought back due to the huge strike. Those people are pissed man.

sponge using smoke signals.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anything is Possible.

Those guys in England that dug up multi-million dollar Caches in farmers fields,
have already made a Living & the rest is just icing.

I'm sure there are also a Few beach hunters in Hawaii etc., that IF they cached in could consider their
take, a good retirement fund.

as I said, anything is possible.

I'm sure there is also a few detectorists who bought $3,000.00 detectors & haven't found a Zinc penny yet

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There are gold prospectors in Australia that make a living just detecting. In the US though I'd reckon you'd have to have a day job.

Ha good answer d-dancer :) Yes we're doing good JUST to pay for our gas and equipment, eh? haha. Even given that you'll get some good numismatic coins, or the melt value of gold if you're a beach or nugget hunter, etc...

Yours & lookin-down's ("no it's a hobby") answers reminds me of this example: When gold hit all-time-highs in about 1980 or so, there was a particular pioneering fellow here in CA, who was amongst the first generation of hunters to figure out how to make metal detectors find nuggets in their natural state (this was before specialty machine for nuggets). He and his buddies were doing good enough on their Saturday/Sunday hunts in the Sierra foothills, that he began to figure out that he was actually making MORE money at gold prospecting, than he was at his job!

As luck would have it, he soon found himself between jobs. So the solution was simple: simply metal detect for a living finding gold nuggets. He did this for several weeks, but soon found that it was no longer fun. Whereas before it had simply been a hobby, yet NOW he was "under the gun" to make a quota each day. So instead of looking forward to it each day (as had been before each weekend), now it was a dread. Now it was paperwork, etc... So he abandoned those notions, applied for normal jobs, and went back to keeping detecting as "fun".

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the deal as I see it is this...expenses are constant...value finds are intermitant.even if I lived under an overpass I would on occassion starve.I sell the tar out of my finds.I find creative ways to maximise their value...I hunt alot...best year yet...$3300.00

I like beer too much to live on that

cheers

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you can live off of metal detecting, but it must be approached like a business rather than a hobby. For example, you may need an income source or savings until you become good at detecting and recovering high value coins or relics. You'll need a professional detector or two and become good at research. Learn where the most 'treasure' can be found in your area and be persistent. Your ratio of trash to treasure should increase - meaning more digging and more trash. Mel fisher is a good example of what it takes to treasure hunt. He never let discouragement set his pace and it never diminished his energy. The good news is we don't need investors.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha good answer d-dancer :) Yes we're doing good JUST to pay for our gas and equipment, eh? haha. Even given that you'll get some good numismatic coins, or the melt value of gold if you're a beach or nugget hunter, etc...

Yours & lookin-down's ("no it's a hobby") answers reminds me of this example: When gold hit all-time-highs in about 1980 or so, there was a particular pioneering fellow here in CA, who was amongst the first generation of hunters to figure out how to make metal detectors find nuggets in their natural state (this was before specialty machine for nuggets). He and his buddies were doing good enough on their Saturday/Sunday hunts in the Sierra foothills, that he began to figure out that he was actually making MORE money at gold prospecting, than he was at his job!

As luck would have it, he soon found himself between jobs. So the solution was simple: simply metal detect for a living finding gold nuggets. He did this for several weeks, but soon found that it was no longer fun. Whereas before it had simply been a hobby, yet NOW he was "under the gun" to make a quota each day. So instead of looking forward to it each day (as had been before each weekend), now it was a dread. Now it was paperwork, etc... So he abandoned those notions, applied for normal jobs, and went back to keeping detecting as "fun".
You got it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread