How vulnerable are you

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always hunt by myself, but I look at where people are at when I get there. I don't live in the nicest of areas. My husband gets nervous for me. But I only was worried once. I seen a man and woman looking at me. Then the woman started coming my way she tried to get behind me. But I just kept turning with her to make sure she stayed in front of me. And held my digger like I was ready to use it. (which I was) she decided to go back to her boyfriend. I am not a target.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I always hunt by myself, but I look at where people are at when I get there. I don't live in the nicest of areas. My husband gets nervous for me. But I only was worried once. I seen a man and woman looking at me. Then the woman started coming my way she tried to get behind me. But I just kept turning with her to make sure she stayed in front of me. And held my digger like I was ready to use it. (which I was) she decided to go back to her boyfriend. I am not a target.

Dont only have one,have another option,a good pocket knife works(no made in china specials please:laughing9:)

gtfm2345

Nov 15, 2012
c ny
Detector(s) used
TEK OMEGA TEK ALPHA DET PRO WADER NEL COIL 4"dd
10" ELPTCL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I'm in a notoriously dangerous area I simply turn volume all the way up and keep headphones around my neck .. Anyway works for me I don't miss much

gtfm2345

Nov 15, 2012
c ny
Detector(s) used
TEK OMEGA TEK ALPHA DET PRO WADER NEL COIL 4"dd
10" ELPTCL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I'm in a notoriously dangerous area I simply turn volume all the way up and keep headphones around my neck ..with cups turned out . Anyway works for me I don't miss much

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Even at Disneyland I don't go all buttery! I am always in the aware state (or would like to be) like when I'm driving a car! Last month I was detecting in the water and was lost to the hunt when I looked up and on the jetty, not 15 feet from me, were two unsavory types checking out every move and lift of the scoop! I said "hi" and they responded with cold silence! So I brought up my "treasure find" of a beer can and showed it to them! They evaporated!
After that experience I am always keeping half a headphone off and the ground/water is not the only thing I'm scanning!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, it's not just while detecting. I stopped at a light behind a old camaro with a couple of small dents in the rear. The light changed. He started off briskly and then slammed on his breaks. From racing on the track, I have extremely fast reflexes. I slammed on my breaks. Stopped about 2" from his bumper. I could see him laughing in his rear view mirror as he sped away. Now you know why your insurance rates are so high! Frank...-
111-2 700Warrior Head.jpg

FLJack

Jul 23, 2014
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X, CZ20, F75, Minelab Safari, Whites CoinMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make it a habit to look around me prior to digging the target. On a night hunt a few months ago, I looked extensively at my surroundings prior to digging but was still surprised when someone was right behind me. The individual meant to do me harm, no doubt in my mind.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHEN I HUNT LAND - I USE A LARGE KNIFE AND CUT PLUGS
WHEN I HUNT WATER - WILL SOMETIMES CARRY A DIVE KNIFE - BUT I USE A HUGE SCOOP - THAT WILL TAKE A HEAD OFF WITH EASE IF NECESSARY

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Casper the friendly ghost taking someone's head off with ease with a sand scoop...I died laughing when I read this one. Thanks casper, I needed that.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm hunting in any populated or citified areas I either don't use my headphones at all ,or have them around my neck w/ volume up ,
I always want my ears to be very aware of who, what ,where - I am not a paranoid or fearful person at all - just aware .

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not a paranoid or fearful person

Its not paranoid or being afraid being ready,careful and aware.Those who think so are a 200% fool and deserve what happens to them.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Location and situations are dynamic.

You need to adjust your level of awareness based on situations or circumstances.

You don't need to be on Defcon 1 when you are in the surf during a crowded day.

Your level should increase when alone in the woods.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

there are bad places in denver? say it ain't so!! just wear a manning jersey ( peyton)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wear a bright yellow vest that says "BOMB SQUAD" on it. Should be good.
Don't even need that. EVERYBODY knows what EOD stands for! TTC

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use to use one of these for digging,chopping roots etc and persuading people to leave me alone.Theres not to much that works better than a 14 inch blade hanging on your belt.

View attachment 1025094

I agree, but I have my "weapon of choice" in my hand at all times. I always do a rubberneck scan before I start to dig. And if the knife gets dirty I clean it if off nice and shiny every time! How much do these things help?..Got to be better than not doing 'em.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I carried that bayonet MDing up in NH.It came in very handy at times.Lots of stray dogs around even though there was a leash law.People didnt care and ignored it.it was a pretty rugged piece,the blade was close to a 1/4 thick,double edged for the first 4 inches.Nasty sound drawing it from its scabbard.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last of the Mohicans.. Movie. Last Stand

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a town or a park kind of detectorist to say the very least and have never seen another person while doing my bush detecting. On my very few hunts in populated areas, I have never really been worried as I live up here in Canada. I'm always very aware of my situation in regards to my surroundings though as there is an increasing problem with junkie losers around these parts. I have been carrying a knife since I can remember and am always armed while in the bush. I can honestly say that I do not fear anything, that's just me and my outlook on life in general. The real threat where I choose to tread is the Wildlife. Bears, Wolves, Cougars, Moose.... Not to mention the ever evil Grouse in the heat of a love cycle, LOL trust me. My trusty REZ Hound is always at my side wile out and I never use headphones out in the bush, never. Always be aware of your surroundings as many have won a Darwin award not being aware or prepared for the aforementioned. The World is a dangerous place to those that are not attuned to their surroundings and never place yourself into a situation where you are not prepared for the worst outcome.
WHatever & everything 116.jpg

1798194_670403383016810_1057784913_n.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Backbacon .. Like you i have never been worried here i ohio were i am .. And i go up around Sudbury and the french river area in Ontario Canada often... And i never have been worried up there either … Like you i have carried a knife all my life …. Even in school from first grade on …. Try doing that now they would put the poor kid in jail… But there are a lot out there that are real worry warts .. afraid of there shadow...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think some get alert confused with scared, there is a difference!
A couple of years ago I came upon a large rattler coiled beside the trail. I was 4' away from him and he was coiled and ready. I watched him and noted when I moved just an inch or two toward him his head moved back and when I moved back his head moved forward. It was almost like a range finder. Now I have read a bit about them and know that the max striking distance is usually 3'. I think we both knew that.
Frank...-
The moral is, scared gets you killed, while alert saves your ass. hand print-2_edited-7.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions