May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I was talking with my wife today about this so I came home and did a search. I know there have been posts that kind of hit on this and there was the carrying a concealed weapon thread but I didn't see any threads really dedicated to this so I thought I would ask. When I'm in out in general public I am very mindful of my surroundings. I am this way just naturally without even thinking about it. But today when we were talking I was telling her how when I have the headphones on and I'm detecting...and especially when I get a hit, I'm really pretty oblivious to what's going on around me. I walk generally looking down, then when I kneel down to dig...I'm looking at the hole. I realized talking with her that I'm putting myself in a pretty compromising position. Since I detect by myself I've got to start making sure I'm aware of my surroundings. How many of you have ever really thought about it and how many of you have had to force yourself to not be totally immersed in what your doing for safety's sake.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try to be aware, but using headphones I become "one" with the detector and it's very easy to concentrate so hard on detecting that I'm not paying much attention to my surroundings. Good post to remind us to be thoughtful.
luvsdux

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's like driving! Always know what is going on around you. It only takes a second to look around.
Frank...-
6 06-1 Yellowstone 119-2.jpg If you want to live free as a butterfly, you have to keep an eye out for the net!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you afraid of?
Be alert, use your eyes and all your senses.
I believe that whether talking about humans or animals, showing fear attracts them.

He who lives his life in fear never really lives

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I myself have thought about this many times, and am ashamed to admit I've had people walk up on me without noticing. I'm thinking about getting those headphones made specially for snake country. Only one headphone, I believe detector pro makes them.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first 7 or so years of detecting I never used head phones for this reason. I hated not being able to hear what was going on around me. Then after time of having no real issues or problems being "snuck up on" I started wearing headphones. There have been a few "startles" with headphones that would not of happened had I not been using headphones. One time I was mding a park, people around picnicking, others throwing a Frisbee no reason to be worried about my surroundings. They had just cut down lots of junk trees in a small area of woods. So I was in the woods mding, figured I would let others use the grass area. Im in the zone with the headphones and all of a sudden HHHOOONNKKK!! I nearly jump out of my shoes! What had happened is some cop drove up the curb across the grass where everyone was picnicking and hanging out in lawn area. Then the guy drives into the woods pulls about 12' from me and then blares on his horn. I nearly had a heart attack. Im in the woods for cry pete, that was the last thing I would of expected. Of course my back was to the guy the whole time and didn't know he was there. Scared the CR*P out of me. So then he says he just wanted to ask me what kind of finds I was making. What are you kidding me you couldn't get out of your car and walk 200'. What an a***ole. Reasons like this are why I don't hunt busy parks much anymore.

Not that I don't pay any attention to my surroundings, and look around every few min or so. In safe areas I tend to not look around as often like I am paranoid or looking around all sketchy, like im doing something wrong and don't want to get caught.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Even though I hunt with my husband we look up every now and then just to see if anyone is around.we usually don' t hunt in dangerous areas but still are aware at all times. I try and not turn my back towards the street and watch what is going on around me.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its called situational awareness. I am fortunate that the beaches I hunt are fairly desolate, and I can see people coming from a long way off. Even so, I make it a point to check over my shoulder every so often to see if someone is approaching. Usually they are just folks walking the beach, but Mr. Glock is always ready to rock.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Rattler headphone from DetectorPro with only one earpiece. And I visually scan the 360° area frequently to keep track of who is where.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dog is very well trained and goes with me on every hunt, we hunt everywhere from local parks to big woods, she watches over me, so I dont get attacked by any squirrels or chipmunks !!! I look around occasionally just to see whats going on and am just generally "aware".

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do look up some to check the location of the chickies, they like to surround me..

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
being a former biker, I am constantly checking my surroundings out of habit but when you have bears around and the occasional mountain lion sighting, you tend to do it automatically even in the populated areas. I do believe that you should be aware of what is happening around you since there are those who will take advantage of a situation.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Never worry about it too much but have always figured I could do some damage with my Lesche if I had to. That being said, I do look around occasionally just to see what's/who's around me

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I typically have my headphones around my neck unless in high noise areas. I have volume turned up. I do this for several reasons. 1) protect my hearing 2) hear what is coming at me and be aware of any noise entering my hunting area. I have very sensitive hearing, so I can hear the signals with no problem. With the machine I use now, there are no whisper signals - so that is a mute point. I put the headphones on to pinpoint. Works for me! :)

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a CHL for many years before letting it expire a while back. Carried when doing bank runs for the family business and travel but never when detecting. With the weight of the detector, the tool pouch with digging and probing tools, and a water bottle to boot I never wanted to add the additional weight of a firearm. Also remember that many of us do hunt school grounds and most if not all, school properties will be off limits to firearms. I just make it a point to not hunt in questionable environments.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stepped on two rattlesnakes last year. Twisted the ole ankle a few times. Actually left my lesche and propointer on a bench and it was still there when I came back a hour and a half later. Lil kids scare me when they want to help. Walked into a pole a few times under the play equipment. Once found a ladys lost earring in her bra, was just pointing the coil at here I swear. A large group of us had searched for a hour. I asked her to run one of the ear rings across the coil and the other one sounded off too lol. But I think your talking about the two legged critters. Very few spots bother me but there was one park where the homeless lived during the day......yuk. Now that was scary. I feel for the guys, but doing all I can to take care of me. I would tell you to carry if you need to, but I dont want to lug extra weight around. Good question.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I've had a few incidences where I've spotted someone approaching me and I was glad that I did. I don't want to write a biography here, but I'm fairly convinced that they were up to no good. I believe that I'm qualified to chalk this up to training and experience, and not simple paranoia. Life in the city, right? That having been said, the vast majority of contacts that I make are positive. I only get concerned when someone is obviously trying to sneak up on me and their body language is all off. To date, establishing eye contact and letting them know that I'm aware of them has been enough to convince them to wander off and do something else.

I've had dogs sneak up on me though. They don't tingle the Spidey sense for some reason. Fortunately, they've only ever wanted to watch so far. As I've mentioned in another thread, dogs off leash are an issue around here.

I try to make it a habit to glance around occasionally, and every time that I kneel down to recover a target. At this point, in town, I'm much more worried about people than animals. It's people that kill other people around here.

Every time that I've had such an incident, it was when I was detecting alone. I try not to do that anymore. Another pair of eyes is a useful deterrant, even if they're at the other side of a park.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect mostly parks and school most of which are wide open areas, I'm constantly looking around. I do wear headphones but they are a little big so aren't hugging my head so I can hear ambient noises, unless I'm digging that diamond ring! Our schools are patrolled every so often by the pd., we're a nice bunch of people, honest. :laughing7:

I look around before I dig. I have been "walked up on" once, and I'm pretty sure he did it to try and scare me because he had to cover that distance in a hurry to be standing in front if me when I looked up from the hole, and he was smiling. For which he got the evil stare from me. He stopped smiling however when I stood up with my digger still in my hand, he mumbled something and quickly went on his way. I'd be more afraid of getting hit by a stray bullet that mugged.

If they are going to try and rob me it's going to tick me off, depending on the situation, weapons, and my mood at the time they may not fair so well. If there are people in the area I'm always facing them or I'm constantly aware of where they are. I can slip the headphones around my neck to hear better what's going on around me usually I don't have to, I can hear ya just fine with them on, I just choose to not acknowledge that I can, and some of the comments people make are hilarious!

Definitely stay safe out there. At lest now I don't have to worry about an attack from behind by the geese! Walking thru their poop is bad enough!

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The odd thing is I am tone deaf. I can't hear above 1khz. I only wear headphones when using my Surfmaster PI, no choice, it's a waterproof unit. At the beach, the headphones block most of the surf pounding. I look around before I start detecting and form a mental picture of the people around me. I occasionally do a fast recheck scan. Any out of ordinary movements are noted. I always do a fast scan before I scoop. Valuable finds go directly into my pocket, I don't hold them up for all to see.
I never use headphones with my 2 Box. Frank...-

Now a question for your question! To whom?
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread