Nicer coins on east coast

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like the majority of older coins seem to be found on the east coast. While that may seem obvious, I find it interesting that a lot of the coins are found at 5" or shallower. I've been learning my AT Pro and am getting the hang of it and I've used my Whites Spectrum XLT and haven't found a single silver coin yet this year! Probably have at least 40 hours in and at least 300 coins usually anywhere from surface to 5" down. Hunting in Denver, Colorado. I would love to find silver at 3-4" deep!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
silver at 3" deep is mostly long gone unless you find a virgin site never hunted. One school yard I hunted from 50's which always has silver - had lots of silver at about 5" mark. You just have to finds the right place where people actually had silver to lose etc. Silver quarters for instance, which are wider typically won't sink as fast and may be at 3-4" mark in lightly hunted or trashy areas. These are all from a school built in 50's. All cleaned with silver polish.
Silver_dimes_Qtrs.jpg

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean7 is correct. Location is everything. Mass silver is still out there.
Both machines you mention are extremely capable of finding silver, shallow and deep. You may not find 1700s "coppa" in Denver, but you surely have 1800s silver.
Good luck
Peace

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area of Maryland, PA. and Delaware we have a clay line at about 6 inches in a lot of areas, it must stop the coin from going deeper. I found a Barber Dime on a Bay Beach after a big storm, the clay line was about 1 inch deep, because the sand and soil got washed out. It was in nice shape also. The clay acted like a polish on it. I could be wrong, but it seems like most gold coins are found out West.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not found a silver coin in south FL yet. Been doing this for 5 years. I'm sure if i took the time to search historical grounds i would find some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread