Arrested metal detecting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WRONG WRONG WRONG! This is the United States of America, not the Soviet Union ("Papers please, comrade?"). You are a free citizen with Constitutional rights, and you are not required to identify yourself to law enforcement if you are not suspected of a crime.
I have asked politely several times "no politics"......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Why are some people thinking this has to do with metal detecting? (and go on lamenting laws, rules, legalities, etc...) Perhaps because of the thread title, I suppose. Read the O.P.'s post again, and you'll see he was not arrested for detecting. So detecting legalities have nothing to do with the O.P's plight.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Why are some people thinking this has to do with metal detecting? (and go on lamenting laws, rules, legalities, etc...) Perhaps because of the thread title, I suppose. Read the O.P.'s post again, and you'll see he was not arrested for detecting. So detecting legalities have nothing to do with the O.P's plight.

Your right Tom, that's why I'm glad they got him. With all the other crimes that are being committed and just think...somebody thinks they can get away with fishing in the wrong part of the lake. They need to worry less about these felons out here and concentrate more on these hardcore fishermen. :laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
So the police responded to a call. Checked the Identification, found a warrant and now everyone in our society is a victim.

Simply amazing.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread title says "Arrested metal detecting". Not for mding!
Lighten up folks. The entire scenario sucks. I woulda gone home and reflected w a beer. But no, not him. He returned directly to site. Well done!
I hope noone encounters this...
Peace

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a seat belt ticket once, thought it was a crock so I "forgot" to pay it too. Cops didn't wait to run into me, they came to my house. I was a bit luckier though, they let me follow them back to the courthouse to pay my ticket. May have been because I was polite about it. They got a job to do too.

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think there are good and bad cops. I have met both. Here in Colorado you are required to carry ID if you are an Adult. I don't think that they thought he would have anything to arrest him for. It just so happened that he did. I have had the same thing happen to me for a 25.00 ticket I don't even remember getting. I was stopped for not having a front license plate on my car. (either stolen or fell off) and it was just me and him on the road. I was mad that he felt I needed to be pulled over for that. But he was also nice to me. So I guess it was the luck of the draw for me.:sadsmiley:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I admire your tenacity. Just a hint. Next time don't keep asking if your being detained. It is just asking for trouble as you found out. The less info you give them the better ok. PEACE:RONB

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had someone watching that got a bad case of detector envy, and wanted the field and finds for themselves.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have politely asked to not post politics..

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a hint. Next time don't keep asking if your being detained. It is just asking for trouble as you found out.

That would be my guess... kinda like poking at a weasel with a stick... I expect if you had said "Cool guys, well I'd like to go back to metal detecting if that's alright?", they probably would have shrugged their shoulders and moved on. You probably came across as a smart*** to them, so they were happy to find something to detain you for.

I wasn't there, but that's just a hunch...

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really didn't start this thread to start controversy or to get sympathy. I was in the wrong. I didn't pay for a past mistake and it came back to bite me. That was all I was trying to say. I felt that it was unfortunate that someone felt the need to call the police because I was engaging in a legal activity. I was embarrassed that anyone watching this probably believes that they can call the police and have detectorists arrested. I made sure to go back to show that what I was doing wasn't illegal. To try to get some dignity for myself and the hobby. I have no desire to make this into a bigger thing than it was. And I sure don't want to get into any politics. I will continue to talk about my detecting adventures good or bad. HH

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I felt that it was unfortunate that someone felt the need to call the police because I was engaging in a legal activity. HH

Are the school properties where you live unregulated? Do they not have any trespassing laws concerning school property?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you go it resolved. You did nothing wrong metal detecting. Fishing is a different story.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No they are public land to be used by anyone. They are considered city property like our parks and are free for anyone to enjoy.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted this last year here. The police showed up because Mr or Mrs Nosey called them. Unfortunately you had the warrant for FTA.

Ha!! You got caught up in a CYA. That is police jargon for cover your a$$. I am retired police with 30 years in NJ. These busy *****es/cronic complainers are known to the local Officers. They are the type that call the Mayor and show up at a town meeting and tell the Council the police didn't do anything when they called. As much as it wasn't right he chased you he saved himself lots of grief. And believe me these busy *****es have the ear of the town council and probably the Police Chief. And I worked in a town that had a lake, a county swimming pool, numerous parks, and about a dozen fields for all sports. When these nitwits called they tell dispatch that you are destroying the place, and I even had a call where they said they were stealing sprinkler heads. I always told the MDer's that they had to leave, but they could come back. But I would direct them to another location on the other side of town and tell them what I had pulled out of there in the past. It is ignorance of the hobby and their own perceptions.
But in one case I saw busy/***** walking her dog in the park. Rover dumps and she keeps on walking. I followed her home and made her come back and clean it up. And yes people I gave her a $50.00 ticket!!! She was unhappy, but I reminded her how she didn't like anyone else in the park MDing so zero tolerance.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're glad you free to detect another day! Nice silver scores by the way!

Here they just haul you in and sort it out later after you've bailed yourself out, it's all $.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're glad you free to detect another day! Nice silver scores by the way!

Here they just haul you in and sort it out later after you've bailed yourself out, it's all $.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post above deleted by mod....

FYI........We have members who are in law enforcement....

Please do not try to use this thread or any thread to attack the law enforcement profession in general...

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I commend law enforcement for protecting us on such menial salaries, at least in my area, and dealing with the general "crazy as hell" public.

I guess the moral of the story is if you have any outstanding warrants, don't put yourself any situations where you might be asked for your ID. That would entail sitting at home in the corner I guess. LOL Maybe I better trot down to sherrifs department and check to see if I'm a wanted man!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions