SO, FOR THE NEWBIES INFO, HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO FIND YOUR 1ST GOLD OR SILVER?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For me, my 1st silver was a ring and it took about two months of more serious detecting. my 1st gold was longer, about four months of digging pull tabs etc. But once the ice was broke, I have become more regular(probiotics) mainly due to better detecting on my part. learning how to read the sign, such as places where people gather for what ever reasons are all possible hunting spots. it took longer for me to find my 1st US silver coin, about 4 1/2 months. thanks for your comments.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumb luck was my fortune initially. 3 gold rings before my first silver.
Since, I now have much better equipment, gold is much less likely, as I appreciate the off chance of even finding silver and set my machines to bear same.
Good luck...
Peace

jwbro

Mar 25, 2014
Blue Ridge, Va
Detector(s) used
White's QXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found any gold, but found my first silver, 1876 seated liberty, the first day out. Haven't found any silver since then!!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
blind luck on first hunts can really spur you on, but it is a rare thing overall. I figure a ton of people give up before actually finding anything of value or consistently finding good finds. the trash issue totally frustrates most people

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't keep track of the time, but it seems like after the first real, not cheap ring, it was like I'd primed the pump. Since that time every so often I luck into a silver or gold ring. Haven't found all that many silver coins, however.
luvsdux

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1st silver ring was last fall..first silver coin was last week 1943 Nickel today found my first silver dime..1964 Rosie. been detecting for 2 years now.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
E-Trac: Silver ring the first time out, in my front yard. No silver or gold since, but I hardly use the thing anymore.

Deus: Two gold rings the first time out. (No, for real. Seriously.) No gold since, but one silver bracelet. This was my first gold, period. The Deus helped, but I'm the one that put the coil over it and I'm the one that was willing to dig trash signals, so don't credit the detector too much here. An entry level machine would have hit those without a problem if the disc wasn't turned up too high.

Note that these were all turf finds. The beach folks tend to do a lot better on precious metals.

I don't think that there's much in the way of silver coins out here...not on public property, anyway. I'll take them when I find them, but I'm not actually looking for them anymore.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't want to lie, so: Approximately 3 months for silver, and 6 months for gold......APPROXIMATELY! (Wish I would have kept a log/journal of my finds.....Hindsight lol !)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
QUESTION: Are you still a newbie until you find gold or silver? :dontknow: I've had my machine now for 2.5 years and haven't found any gold or silver (with my machine). So I'm probably still an old newbie. BUT... I'll have you know I AM A HORSESHOE FINDING FOOL. I got the iron "thing" down!!!:laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1st, it has to be there to find it and 2nd, you really have to be willing to dig the trash to find the gold. even the silver can be tough when it always turns out to be cans or pieces of.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1st, it has to be there to find it and 2nd, you really have to be willing to dig the trash to find the gold. even the silver can be tough when it always turns out to be cans or pieces of.

And.... you must be willing to get off a ridge top in Middle Tennessee where some silver and gold might be instead of just horseshoes and old iron.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting over 30 yrs ago. Found my first silver dime the very first day out. But back then silver was everywhere. Now for my first gold was five yrs ago when I got my new water detector.......Matt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's a heart breaker for you.
I went to the detector dealers place looking for a cheap detector to see how I liked it. He was a whites dealer
He said he had two tradeins, a whites S63TR Goldmaster which was big, and a Garrett BFO. Hay, I liked that Garrett's sound. It had a variable put,put sound. I ask him which would go deeper. He said the Whites, but probably by not more than inch. I bought the Whites. I took it home and decided to test it out on the old abandoned mansion across the street. I turned it on and set the controls as the dealer had instructed. I walked about 10 or so feet to an old oak next to the stream. After a quiet walk to the tree, it let out a big beep. I rubbed my foot over the spot and scraped off about 1" of soil. Staring me in the face was a $5 US gold coil. My big regret was selling it about a week later. Frank...- five star.png

Last edited:

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first day a merc and about 3 years for a gold ring......i have been told its 5% skill and 95% luck and i do believe it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 5 gram gold ring on my third or fourth hunt with my Ace 250...that was four years ago and Ive had gold fever ever since.

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me 1 year 2 machines and $1100 to find my first silver. :icon_scratch: It was a Rosie in a friends yard, maybe another year later I found gold. :dontknow: Now its a lot easier since I've gained some skill. :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took about 2 months and 5 hunts for my first silver, a merc, with my Ace 250. I ended up finding two in that yard. I haven't found gold yet and I have been detecting for a year now.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it will come, especially if you commit yourself to digging the trash

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first gold ever found was the gold wedding band during the week of July 4th 2014. Had initials in it and a date of 5/26/63. Went through Register of Deeds in Burke co. to try to return ring to owner if still living. Gentleman had passed in 1975. Lady never remarried and passed in 2010 at the age of 77.

photo (3).JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread