Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that has to be true, there are so many new posts daily and you know that that can't be all of them. I figure that my lack of experience on serious detecting and still learning my AT GOLD is most of the reason I haven't found as many of the older coins. I seem like many pretty good at cleaning up the clad but have a lot to learn about the deeper hunting. that is where a site such as this one allows you to cut a little or a lot into the learning curve by gleaming from the experiences of others(hopefully). but I am still amazed!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure coins have been minted for thousands of years, that's allot of coins. :laughing7:
Here in the U.s. coins have been minted since the 1600's

Either example you wanna go with, the majority of these coins were not melted down,
& didn't rot away like today's Zinc cents.
and are not in collections, there are not enough Coin collectors in the world, to cover the Billions of coins minted since the very first one,
and they were not all melted down. so, figuring on this, yes the Majority of coins ever minted,
Must be in the Ground

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know that I have talked mainly about what is being dug up out of the dirt, I also know that there is absolutely no way man will ever find what has been lost to the sea, much less the lakes and rivers. so for some of us who worry that all has been found or nearly found, there is nothing to worry about. that doesn't mean that in some areas or spots that the coins haven't been worked out really hard thus making it slim pickings. As I have found on my own, even places that I thought that I had worked clean, I had not and most likely will not... at least not with my current equipment or abilities. but none the less, I am still amazed at what still comes out of the ground, somebody has to my understanding found a second gold coin, what are the odds of that? For most of us that would be the ultimate highlight to our detecting careers. So there is hope, real hope for those of us willing to swing our detectors where ever we can and digging what we get for signals, trash and all. thanks all for comments and reading.. Jerry

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectorists will "get creative" and learn of new places overlooked until now and detectors will get more sensitive. Then we will reap more of the lost..... but more will "be lost" in the mean time. TTC

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
every second something is lost, the only problem is a chunk of modern coins like the zincs are quickly worthless. still its the thrill of the unknown turning into the "oh my gosh" find and not just coins, the relics are just as exciting. how can you not love the pure history as it is revealed in the earth?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
every second something is lost, the only problem is a chunk of modern coins like the zincs are quickly worthless. still its the thrill of the unknown turning into the "oh my gosh" find and not just coins, the relics are just as exciting. how can you not love the pure history as it is revealed in the earth?
Speaking of relics, check out the bottle found ... on the Yahoo site. (reported on the Yahoo site) TTC

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
then today a guy finds a 2 1/2 ounce gold nugget while relic hunting! holy cow! talk about gas money, batteries and even an upgrade thrown into one find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread