Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
banner finds occur weekly it seems, sometimes several in a week and the stuff keep coming out. I just can't believe how often someone is finding a Spanish coin or a copper or a silver coin from the early American years. There had to be fortunes of coins scattered all over the states for so many to be found and still being found. I understand that it was a while before the United States minted its own currency and we used others' currency but holy cow! in today's world with our coinage being worth so little, I can see people being so careless with their money, heck a lot of people won't even reach down to pick up a quarter much less a penny (I still do on all coins). But in the olden days, those same coins were worth a lot and would have been sorely missed for the most part and yet a tremendous amount were lost for what ever reasons. the fact that quality metals were used back then means that we are able to find them still and in the most part in pretty decent shape(compared to the zincoids). it just seems like our fore fathers and mothers were a little careless.... it happens. all of this gives guys like me hope of finding some real history in either coins or relics and I think that after all of these years of people detecting, that's pretty darn cool! being able to see these great posts and videos is icing on the cake and I say thanks to all for them.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally hear you!...I get happy with a Barber, or Merc, Couldnt imagine finding a Spanish Silver or seated ANYTHING. But you are right, its amzing home many coins were dropped or lost back in the day.

Im sure alot had to do with lack of Pockets..lol..But I do think about it when i find a quarter from the 1800s, on how important that probally was to survive

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many years before us that dictate coinage loss. We thing of things in the span of our lifetime and these coins have had a chance to get lost since 1492.That's a bunch of years.I agree it would seem we would run out of coins to find but then again,I can sit here for an hour and come up with at least 50 place that should hold good finds and I don't think any of them have ever had a detector on them.
My unkle just sold his place before I could get on it. It has never been detected and it was a 1700 french tradeing post.He has 5 5gal buckets full of arrow heads, 9 5 gal buckets of old clay pipes a couple old swords,cannonballs and about 20 BIG (3'x6') desplays. And all these were accedent finds.
I also have a 1826 and a 1851 house noone has ever been on. The places are still out there,we just have to find them the have time to play on them.I'm still looking for the "time"!

Wade

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when you consider the lifestyles of people 250 or even 110 years ago - mobility consisted of walking or horseback riding
or a buckboard wagon - so I can see how coins got lost , but the other side of the argument is that they were a lot more
careful with there coinage than we are today - I see multiple modern coins in parks just lying on top of the ground - teens
in particular have very little regard for change , they're still in that age group where they don't have to provide for themselves
or any one else - they toss coins around like there's no tomorrow - and I'm glad they do !

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I vacationed in Egypt a few years back for the second time which was unbelieveable! While we were there we saw thousands and thousands of artifacts all over Egypt. We visited the museum of antiquities in Cairo which was also packed with mummies, statues, tomb artifacts, and everything else imaginable. While speaking to a Egyptian speech translator he stated that what has been currently been found is only over a third of what is really yet to be found. Just think of how many years has past! Keep swinging!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
those young people keep us in batteries

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iam still amazed at how much civil war stuff has been found and still plenty left to be found.Also stuff from colonial days.HH

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a big world with allot of people in it.I didn't even know this many people where into hunting until the internet

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is probably more Relics & coins in the Ground then above :thumbsup:
There are allot of years of people losing, Hiding & Discarding things

as for Banners, Banners seem to come in waves :laughing7:

Sometimes the Banner will Stagnate for Weeks, Even Months then
when someone gets a Banner, there is a group who will
start voting again.
which ain't so bad except when they say So&so got banner on his,
& this one is the same so it needs to go up there too :tongue3:

I like the Unique :thumbsup:

there is no list of finds that "must" go on the banner :tongue3:

Last edited:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted an elementary school yard yesterday. The school was built in 64. I was there for 2+ hours, and only hunted an area of field that might have been 50ft by 200ft at most. It was not exactly a high-traffic area, either. In that hunt, I found 37 coins. Several of them considerably older than 1964.

I guess my point is this. I don't think people were any more or less careful with money in the 18th century than they were in the 21st. There were just fewer people, and maybe a little less money in peoples' hands.

There's a lot of it out there... it's just deep... and more scattered.

If you can find a place that had the kind of traffic of an elementary school yard only with 18th century people, you'd have yourself one helluva concentration of coinage. I'm still looking for such a place.

I may have found a similar 17th century site... but I haven't had a chance to hunt it yet. As always I am hopeful (although others may call it delusional). :tongue3:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look at the size of Half Dimes & 3 Cent Pieces.

These types coins especially had to be being lost in Large Quantities
even in the Corners of Pockets :laughing7:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look at the size of Half Dimes & 3 Cent Pieces.

These types coins especially had to be being lost in Large Quantities
even in the Corners of Pockets :laughing7:

Exactly.

And clothes were typically homespun and worn until they wore out.. and developed holes in those pockets.

And they lost other awesome things.. like buttons.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They will never find everything that was lost with the 1715 fleet. After 300 years it still keeps washing up on the beaches.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a big world with allot of people in it.I didn't even know this many people where into hunting until the internet
I must have had a few in me when I typed that one:icon_scratch:How is the tooth?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if that is a reference to me, its getting pulled this thursday at 9, can't wait. it is mostly better but it is a trip to the oral surgeon because of the crooked long roots.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a ton of stuff out there and more lost all the time! GL. HH!

Hope all goes well with the tooth!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if that is a reference to me, its getting pulled this thursday at 9, can't wait. it is mostly better but it is a trip to the oral surgeon because of the crooked long roots.
I remember you said it was bothering you.Gl looter

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
its amazing how quickly you forget the pain when the antibiotics kick in and do their job but I am counting the days until it is gone forever! thanks... Jerry

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charles Garrett declares (in one of his books) that there are more coins in the ground than in circulation. I believe it. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread