OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let me clarify.....I'll be taking the Excal with all the coils, but I only have room for one land based machine. (If that machine fails I'll find another.) I have all year, not just a few weeks. But I also have to take other things, i.e., 1 fly rod, 1 spinning outfit, etc. I will be doing more then just treasure hunting.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have the water detector .. i would say any top brand detector will work for what you are doing…They will all find metal and they will all find gold not gold dust but nice pickers . If i look for gold all i want is pickers or larger … And that is all a reg. detector will get any way … If you want to get small gold you will have to take a gold detector .. so what you need is a detector that runs a frequency of 13 and 15 or 18 for a all around …. any brand you like in those Freq.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was looking at a gold bug 2 last night? What's user experience say? Can it handle the general hunting thing ok?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was looking at a gold bug 2 last night? What's user experience say? Can it handle the general hunting thing ok?
Any dedicated gold machine is made to find gold as it runs a higher kHz, not conducive to finding coins. Plus the higher the kHz the more prone to EMI interference.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I had a Goldbug 2. I used it for nugget hunting and it did find an occasional coin along the way. Good detector that I lost in a fire. Frank...- five star.png

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ok, let me clarify.....I'll be taking the Excal with all the coils, but I only have room for one land based machine. (If that machine fails I'll find another.) I have all year, not just a few weeks. But I also have to take other things, i.e., 1 fly rod, 1 spinning outfit, etc. I will be doing more then just treasure hunting.

Give us a hint! What is your vehicle? Is it a car, or a motor home?
Start in the north and work south as it gets cooler.
Join GPAA and you can stay on there claims as you will have access to hundreds of them for free.

Frank...- five star.png

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the water detector .. i would say any top brand detector will work for what you are doing…They will all find metal and they will all find gold not gold dust but nice pickers . If i look for gold all i want is pickers or larger … And that is all a reg. detector will get any way … If you want to get small gold you will have to take a gold detector .. so what you need is a detector that runs a frequency of 13 and 15 or 18 for a all around …. any brand you like in those Freq.

Keppy makes an excellent point Bigscoop. If it's a once in a blue moon kind of trip, and raw gold hunting is not in your plans upon return, a good do it all detector may be a good choice. Minelab 705 Dual Pack (w/ 8"X10" 18.75khz DD coil for gold and 9" 7.5khz concentric coil for general detecting) or Whites MXT Pro, either would do well. Both have prospecting programs, and both work well for relics and general coin/jewelry hunting. They are in the same price range.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xterra 705 with the stock MF coil, 18.75 elliptical HF and the 6" digger will cover all the bases you mentioned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a whole lot of things still in the works. This is turning into a bit more then I had originally planned, a lot of things going on. But it's all good. Just don't have any definite answers on too many things right now because there's so much going on. Just recently picked up a partner in this little adventure and he brings quite a bit of experience and knowledge to the table. As soon as things start to take shape I'll let you those details. And "Thanks" for all the input and replies. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread