Versatile Use Detectors

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the situation....I'm going to be traveling in condensed fashion for an extended period of time and I'm only going to have room for one quality land detector, something that can handle most everything from nugget shooting to relics in a variety of environments? What are my options? Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

PS: And the ability to change coils is also a must.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xterra 705 w/ gold pack, or dual pack might be a good choice. From what I hear and read it's a pretty versatile machine, and you won't have to remortgage your house or sell a kidney to buy one. :-)

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75 with the small coil hands down

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picture this, your at a new location with said detector which you chose based on this thread. You look over and see a nice creek near a 1700, 1800s bridge. Or at a nice beach loaded with depositors frolicking in the water. Wouldn't it be nice to get in there and find some relics, coins, jewelry? I only ask because you used the word "versatile". And because of that the only machine that comes to mind is the Minelab ctx3030. A do it all machine with a cult following. Land, freshwater, saltwater, ability to change coils, a screen, etc. Expensive but you did ask for one machine that's versatile. GL HH Mike

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my T2 and feel it serves me well for my type of hunting, but gonna agree with MrMikeJackie on the ctx 3030. Even though I do not own one and will readily admit I have never used one, it's reputation speaks volumes as the ultimate "one machine does it all". HH

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You still have not told us what vehicle you plan to use or where you plan to go. This info biases every answer you get!
So here's my answer. There is no one detector for all endeavors. I always travel with 4 detectors, check my list. The solution, Get a bigger vehicle. Hay, my 22' MH serves as home for Blue and me.
Blue 1212.jpg Hay, my bed is in the copilot position.

PS: If that one detector dies, you have no backup many miles from home!

Last edited:

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an owner of a CTX I can't argue with your logic MrMike or TNGUNS, it's a fantastic any environment machine! BUT, Bigscoop already has one of the best dedicated water machines in the Excal. To buy a machine such as the CTX with its water detecting ability would be somewhat costly and redundant. He did say he was looking for "one quality 'land' detector" that was versatile.
'

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an owner of a CTX I can't argue with your logic MrMike or TNGUNS, it's a fantastic any environment machine! BUT, Bigscoop already has one of the best dedicated water machines in the Excal. To buy a machine such as the CTX with its water detecting ability would be somewhat costly and redundant. He did say he was looking for "one quality 'land' detector" that was versatile.
'

Point well made locator. In reading the original post again, you are exactly right. Now I can plug my T2 SE again ha ha. You have to admit, we are a brand/model loyal bunch in this hobby.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point well made locator. In reading the original post again, you are exactly right. Now I can plug my T2 SE again ha ha. You have to admit, we are a brand/model loyal bunch in this hobby.

I HEAR YA BROTHER!!

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have not told us what vehicle you plan to use or where you plan to go. This info biases every answer you get!
So here's my answer. There is no one detector for all endeavors. I always travel with 4 detectors, check my list. The solution, Get a bigger vehicle. Hay, my 22' MH serves as home for Blue and me.
View attachment 1041011 Hay, my bed is in the copilot position.

PS: If that one detector dies, you have no backup many miles from home!

What................no AT Pro? :dontknow:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If prospecting, you'll probly need a good P.I. machine. Many use P.I.s for relics too.
Also, what if the "one" machine you decide on fails!? I suggest you find room for a backup detector.
Good luck
Peace

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Xterra 705 w/ gold pack, or dual pack might be a good choice. From what I hear and read it's a pretty versatile machine, and you won't have to remortgage your house or sell a kidney to buy one. :-)

CTX 3030 is NOT a nugget shooter. The Minelab XTerra 705 - if you simply MUST have ONE machine seems to be your best choice with the three (different frequency) available coils.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is correct, 3030 is not a nugget shooter...

If you have room for one detector you have room for 2. You can cover everything with 2 and you have a backup. I would hate to be out on a planned trip like this with out a backup detector.

Last edited:

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is correct, 3030 is not a nugget shooter...

I agree Treasurehunter and Terry. If I were a nugget hunter it WOULD NOT be my chioce in detectors. BUT!! I refer you to Ron (CA) post in the Detecting For Gold forum Jan. 05, 2014. He scored a 1oz. nugget, BANNER find with a CTX. He was just relic hunting an old gold camp. A CTX CAN find nuggets! ;-)

FOOTNOTE: Just today Ron (CA) scored his SECOND nugget with his CTX. This one a 2 1/2 oz. nugget!! WOW (see Todays Finds 8/20)

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CTX 3030 is NOT a nugget shooter. The Minelab XTerra 705 - if you simply MUST have ONE machine seems to be your best choice with the three (different frequency) available coils.
Remind Ron(CA) of that. His loves finding gold nuggets.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'
Not really, his original post stated he only had room for 1 detector. Excal won't do him any good:) And even he does bring both, he would still have two water machines in case the older Excal goes night night.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, his original post stated he only had room for 1 detector. Excal won't do him any good:) And even he does bring both, he would still have two water machines in case the older Excal goes night night.

I believe on another thread he talked about it his plans included hunting saltwater beaches.. He is planning a trip around country treasure hunting.... I am just saying taking a trip like that I would carry more than 1 detector. I have made car trips to Key Biscayne Fl and Hilton Head Island SC detecting and took backup detectors...

Even if I was only planing to land hunt I would take a backup, things happen.... Just my opinion...

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. Not like they take up that much space. But if only one allowed then yea, I'd prob go with the ctx. Mike

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO...1/4 the cost of a 3030.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread