Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that say "carrying" or "pulling the trigger" could lead to other problems is exactly WHY folks carry. It leads to problems for the "other guy".... at least I'll be alive to sort mine out! :occasion14:
Better to be judged by 9 than carried by 6...

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Open carry is legal in most States. I always carry detecting as does the wife. Most days I'm packing openly. Local stores and restaurants don't question it. If they post signs for weapons free areas--I go elsewhere. Police know me and just wave. State Police stopped me once and left after a short conversation.

The only trouble that I see with open carry is if the bad guy sees you, and you don't know he's the bad guy, when he clears leather, you are the first one he's going to shoot, and that will be before anything else comes down so you won't be prepared to make a move.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nope.. I never open carry.

I don't want to put it in every ones face.. I don't think it would change people's mind who don't like guns.
If a bad guy sees it and wants it.. he already has the drop on you before you can draw.
I see no good reason to open carry.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked many police officers here in Florida about open carry vs conceal carry, by far the vast majority tell me they prefer open carry, that it cuts down on crime..

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only trouble that I see with open carry is if the bad guy sees you, and you don't know he's the bad guy, when he clears leather, you are the first one he's going to shoot, and that will be before anything else comes down so you won't be prepared to make a move.

The alternative is that he just wants to steal your stuff or knock you over the head - in which case, he waits for an easier target.

I'll not go further here, for fear of bordering on "politics".

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would if I could but I'm not "permitted" to carry in this ....uh hmmm, state, and they just made it harder, if your local police chief doesn't like you no permit! Besides I would get into more trouble defending my self than the person who attacks me.
So I carry the standard Stone Age defense weapons, screwdriver, digging tool, pin pointer (guess it would hurt if I solved it up their nose?), and my M6. All will be fine unless you try to take my detector, then there's going to be a problem, and I won't care what happens to the other guy in the process.
I would probably get mugged faster for a weapon than anything I carry now. If I go into the woods that's another story, I would want to carry....legally.
We have had several drive by shootings in this city so it makes me wonder what good making it harder for me to carry does, frankly nothing IMHO, I am not the problem.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would if I could but I'm not "permitted" to carry in this ....uh hmmm, state, and they just made it harder, if your local police chief doesn't like you no permit! Besides I would get into more trouble defending my self than the person who attacks me.

Are you saying it's up to YOUR local police chief if you get a carry permit? This one person decides him/herself who's worthy or not? Locally controlled? So getting a carry permit is not state regulated but locally?.... :dontknow:

Tulsa Clovis

Greenie
Aug 24, 2014
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Kel-Tec PF9 for me. I carry it mainly for dogs. I have not shot one yet, knock on wood, but I have had a few sketchy run-ins with feral dogs in creeks.

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've thought about carrying my Ruger every now and then, but I figure I am already carrying enough crap with me when I go out. Then again, I'm not digging cellar holes in Detroit.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you saying it's up to YOUR local police chief if you get a carry permit? This one person decides him/herself who's worthy or not? Locally controlled? So getting a carry permit is not state regulated but locally?.... :dontknow:
Msbeepbeep … lives in MA that is whole different world from our world… Could be a different country.. I know that is one state i would not live in..

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in MA it is up to the state, although the local chief can employ restrictions on your license (target, hunting, all lawful purposes). They have a bill on the table to make police chiefs able to stop someone from getting a permit, but i think the bill is almost dead. even if it passed, you could ask for a court hearing if you were turned down

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's an interesting note. I sometimes carry a Texas Defender by Bond Arms. It has 2 barrels and you can load it with .45 colt or .410. I usually load it with the .410 in 000 buckshot. That is like being hit with five 9mm bullets at one time.
I was talking to a buddy about the gun and he said, Suppose there are 3 bad guys. I said, I would tell the leader that I would shoot him first!
Frank...- five star.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting note. I sometimes carry a Texas Defender by Bond Arms. It has 2 barrels and you can load it with .45 colt or .410. I usually load it with the .410 in 000 buckshot. That is like being hit with five 9mm bullets at one time.
I was talking to a buddy about the gun and he said, Suppose there are 3 bad guys. I said, I would tell the leader that I would shoot him first!
Frank...- View attachment 1043953
First come first serve...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I went scouting a new location to detect and I found myself underneath an old bridge that is clearly a homeless camp and looked very very shady. Luckily it was unoccupied and I didn't really hang out hoping for the occupants to come back. There was evidence of very recent activity there, and I found myself wishing I was carrying. Not that I go out looking to shoot people, but I guess one never knows....I don't want to get murdered under a bridge for picking up buried pennies...

My question is, do you guys and gals regularly carry a sidearm when out detecting or treasure hunting? I'm sure I will get a wide variety of answers, but I am just curious.

I'm just curious as to why you are so curious about something so profoundly silly.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry. Kimber 45.
back up..380 in my boot. Knife (or 2) hidden..exposed when needed.
.,.......better safe then lyin on the slab....

Last edited by a moderator:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm just curious as to why you are so curious about something so profoundly silly.

So you don't think a thug will kill you for your $500 metal detector? Now who is the silly one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions