Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
decided to go to the local veterans park this morning, it has two ball fields and is pretty nice (for around here). pulled up to the parking area and noticed the door to the concession stand (more of a storage building now) was wide open and the door to the smaller storage shed ripped off. after looking around to make sure nobody was around, I called the sheriffs department and they quickly had a deputy on the way. I detected while I waited, then quit as the deputy pulled up. I showed him what I had found and why I was there then he contacted someone and they were on their way. we talked for a while, about detecting and of course vandalizing and then a man showed up. it was hot by now so I called it quits and left them to figure out everything. I would have called anyways but it never hurts as a detector to show concern about the premises. so maybe next week I will be able to put the new Sampson Pro shovel to more work, what little I did this morning proved that it was a great investment.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job guy.....

I had a real scare yesterday morning. I drove the 300 yds. from my home to my other home where my woodshop is at yesterday. When I pulled around the large garage overhead door was up. And I just knew somebody had ripped off 1000's of dollars of tools. I got out and looked around and everything was fine. Right where I left everything. Then I remembered when I left the evening before I had not hit the remote door button until I was pulling away from building and didn't watch for it go down. It just always "works". Well it didn't work for some reason.... I won't make that mistake again.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what is bad is when you can't remember if you did for sure and in the middle of the night you have to go find out. sure am glad yours came out alright. two years ago at my father's house, we had a 13 inch snow, at one point we walked down to the shop and saw in the snow, tracks where someone had gone inside and then left, heading out to the main road where we soon lost their tracks. after back tracking for quite a ways, we found that they had vehicle problems and were actually walking to town. they had most likely gotten cold and stepped inside to warm up for a little bit before going on, he never knowingly missed anything. there are some good people still out there... there are also a lot of people just waiting and looking for any opportunity to take the advantage of a situation. sometimes what they take doesn't make any sense at all, kind of like the herd of 4 wheelers stopped in the whole road in a blind sharp curve this morning... they stare at you as you bow up trying really hard to stop and not to wipe them out! they aren't even supposed to be on the road much less riding 2 or 3 abreast much less around a blind curve. that would have been an even harder call to the law, especially out here, it would take a while to find the place.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've left the shop unlocked among other stupid stuff I've done over my lifetime. Years ago I had a neighbor that had fallen on hard times. He had a small herd of sheep, and offered to sell me a lamb, cut, wrapped and frozen. He needed the help, so I overpaid a bit and bought the meat. Like I said, he was a friend and neighbor, and I never said anything, but the lamb meat was really strong, and I suspect it was really a gummer ewe, but I would have helped him, meat or no meat, so it was no big deal. We didn't like the meat, so I put it in the freezer in the shop, and it sat in there for a long time. We lived out in the country, but near the county road, with the shop closer to the road than the house. When I worked in the shop, the door was wide open, and anyone driving by could see everything in there, including the freezer which was right by the door. One night I forgot to lock the shop, someone got in there and stole all the meat in the freezer, which was a little deer meat but mostly mutton. Didn't touch another thing, no tools or any high dollar stuff was missing, and I figure they were probably to busy grabbing and running. I sure hope they enjoyed their spoils. My worse stunt though, was to sit on the front porch and clean my deer rifle, a model 64 Winchester '06 with a scope worth more than the rifle. I got distracted and walked off and left the gun laying on the porch. Three days later I drove into the yard and there was the rifle. I was really upset with myself over that one.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"My worse stunt though, was to sit on the front porch and clean my deer rifle, a model 64 Winchester '06 with a scope worth more than the rifle. I got distracted and walked off and left the gun laying on the porch. Three days later I drove into the yard and there was the rifle. I was really upset with myself over that one."

Don't feel alone buddy.... As long as we're telling on ourselves here goes: About 18 years ago during Christmas I went and bought my wife a diamond necklace. They even wrapped it for me. So I'm walking out of this crowded Mall with this $1,500 necklace all wrapped complete with large bow and decided to call home from the outside pay phone right by the entrance / exit to mall. I made my call and was then heading home (30 miles). I got about 7 miles from the mall in heavy city traffic and stopped to make a beer run. I reached over to hide the package and it wasn't there. I had left it on top of the pay phone booth!!!! I drove back completely broken hearted just knowing it would be gone. I parked in the fire lane, jumped out and was running toward pay phone and I SAW IT STILL ON TOP with people EVERYWHERE!!!!! I grabbed the gift and just couldn't believe it was still there after being in plain sight of everyone for about 20-25 minutes.

So BosnMate.... you don't have a patent on STUPID I do.... I'll give you dumb though.... :occasion14:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my son was still in school, a senior the best I can recall and we had been planning for a week on going hunting at this one place in particular, about thirty three miles away. all the way, I had asked to make sure that he had everything, his license, knife, you name it and of course he assure me that he did. We made it to our spot and as we prepared to separate and go to our stands, he looks up to me and tells me that he forgot his ammo, not one shell! this one on me, one time while hunting, I set my hatchet (all steel and black/brown) down beside a big oak, I had shot a squirrel and was tending to it and the dog. went to get the hatchet and could not find it for nothing, tore the place up, scraped back the leaves a good five feet from the entire tree but no hatchet! a year later, I am in the same area and as I glance over towards where the oak, I see my hatchet, still leaned up against the tree... the tree between me and the oak. I sheepishly looked around (like there would be anyone out there to see me) and walked over and grabbed my rusty hatchet, a little wire brushing and it was as good as new. that was thirty years ago, now it is what ever I have in my hands! LOL

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stories guys! Whenever I lose something I feel this incredible loss but my wife just says it will turn up and it usually does!
I, on the other hand, just know I've been torn off! Lol!
Then I find it in my other hand!:laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If a thread was started on "stupidity" it would go on forever if EVERYONE was honest and wanted to "rat" themselves out.... :occasion14:

But leaving a just bought $1500 dollar necklace on a phone booth top outside of a busy mall during Christmas and recovering it 20-25 minutes later would be hard to beat. I don't expect anybody to purposely try and beat that.... but I do know we all have done some pretty stupid, dumb, and unintentional things in our life. Some we got away with and some of us didn't.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread