Attended my first Civil War Re-enactment

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I say first because I will attend every single one that I can reasonably get to going forward. I attended the Battle of Richmond, KY this past weekend, wow, I had no idea what I was in for. I have researched, read and dug on many a camp or skirmish site over the past 15 years, to be at this re-enactment brought it full circle. Lumps in my throat, an occasional wet eye, chills....I'm sure some of you know what I mean. OK, I cried...lol. Up to this point in my life, the loudest noise I've ever heard was a pair of Top Fuel dragsters blasting down the quarter mile....then I heard the cannon and felt the cannon, then the volley of cannons. It was an overwhelming experience and equally educational.

It blows my mind that these men and women spend large amounts of money on their attire and equipment, deal with the hot, humid days of summer for an entire weekend, and drive many miles from home just for their passion. None of the actors receive a single cent for their performances. After after a long weekend, they will still stand and talk with you in that hot sun, wearing period correct wool clothing...as long as you have questions....unbelievable.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Living history. Congrats. A national horror remembered. A anticipated brief fight bogging into the worst times in our history.
People from all walks together for a cause. Someone who would hardly acknowledge you on the street willing to help you in any way when they know that you care but are starting out and a tip or two might help. Because they were in a similar position once. No wristwatch or modern stuff showing. Trying to keep conversation era appropriate. And educate the public. Sleep with the spiders,feel the cold.Eat period food ect.
Those personal moments under a younger sky when emotion wells up though often too few are what get cha and you want more.
Used to pre Civil War step back a little in time. Evening fires and smells and sounds just as dark starts to takes the sharp edges off can be moving when observing from the edge before joining in. A human place in time so distant most times it is forgotten after, till a scent of oak, some ones cooking or burnt sulfur floats by at another event. Kinda like participants do.

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gain a feeling and understanding of history, and their events when you can attend and participate in an event on the same grounds and under the same conditions that our ancestors did....Here in the Northeast we have numerous F&I, and Rev. War events, as many took place in my front yard on Lake Champlain...have attended many, and even though they are put on each year, each is different because of the diligent research that is constantly being done to ensure accuracy and truth.....Enjoy them !....Gary

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Love 'em!!

Yes, they take it very serious!

lincoln.jpg

My Daughter with Robert E. Lee..

RobertELee.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions