"BELLS & WHISTLES"

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
GOSH Frankn!!!

All that raw power and depth, yet, with such simplistic, understated elegance, and ONLY two knobs! That can't be a metal detector, that's a MAGIC WAND!!

I happen to have a 110 yr old park with every imaginable type of metal junk in it, in great quantities. I would love to observe you there, and be amazed, as you do that magic with your pulse induction magic wand. :) Bring a bushel basket! :) I'll meet you there.

P.S. Just so you recognize me, I'll be the guy RINGIN THAT BELL & BLOWIN THE WHISTLE. :) :) :)

I thought this was about the effect of bells and whistles on depth! Not sifting gold from the dump.
I use my Magic Wand on the beach and prospecting for gold. I might use it looking for a cache, but in your environment, I use my XLT which is 14 years old also.Yea, it has a few bells and whistles of it's own.
Frank five star.png
111-2 700.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like a car.... Any car will get you from point A to point B, it is up to owners to decide what features are on the car to make the trip more enjoyable and how fast you wish to get to point B..

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I had a wine bottle holder on mine,hee hee.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Locator: I can tell by your post that you haven't been md'ing too long . Let me guess : less than 20 yrs. Right ?

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom,

That's correct, KIND OF. I detected with my father, back in the 1960's. I am familiar with the machines used back in the day, I used them too. I wish I had continued with it at that time. I would have gotten boatloads of silver coins. It was so much easier to find silver back then, even with the inferior equipment. They were only a couple years out of circulation. I recall finding Franklin half dollars and silver quarters, and dimes, by the mayo jars full! My father was a coin collector, he looked for the collectable stuff.

I have been detecting with my own equipment for a bit over five years. I guess the reason I can appreciate the new equipment, is because I HAVE used the old. The detectors of the 60's certainly found metal. By comparison todays three to four hundred dollar machines are like running a new turbocharged race car at the Indy 500, next to a Model A.

I'm not a kid, I'm pushing 60, but I CAN AND DO, appreciate and use, with great effectiveness the new technology. YOU REALLY CAN TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS. THEY JUST HAVE TO BE WILLING TO LEARN. :)

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ok then , since you had time on some '60's equipment , then let's turn the question back on you: Is it just "whistles and bells" difference between those machines to todays ;)

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW TOM WHERE DO I BEGIN!!!!

They were the most basic detector one can imagine. (by comparison) They did do the job well, by the standards of that time. It didn't take much to find such a high conductive as silver, it was comparable to modern day clad drops, it was literally everywhere.

I see a lot of posts from the tone only folks. They generally say, if you learn the tones, that's all you need. It is true, that the audio response is critical. Many make the inference that a visual machine doesn't compare. But, what they either don't understand or choose to ignore, is that visual machines HAVE tone response too. Most have multiple tones that are very easy to ID good targets. Some machines, one I happen to have, you can assign specific tones/pitch to very narrow areas of conductive metals. You can literally target very specific, very narrow conductive areas of interest by tone alone if you wish. Put that together with a screen that can show you the conductive target, lying right next to a piece of scrap metal. (This weekend, I found a 1944 silver quarter, which was standing on edge, right next to a piece of corroded metal strapping. Great tone, and a visual of the two lying next to each other on the target trace screen. HOW GREAT IS THAT :)

I've seen many posts, telling of times they have detected areas "salted" by idiots with pennies or BB's. With one push of a button, I can eliminate/discriminate that very narrow conductive band and eliminate the problem, without missing a swing of the coil, or compromising any good targets. And restore it any time.

Tom, I could go on and on about it. There are SOoooooo... many things about some of the modern units folks call "bells & whistles" that are useful in everyday detecting, I am amazed every time I go out. I am certainly NOT suggesting it is for everybody, or it is the only way. All I say is there is some pretty amazing equipment out there that makes the hobby of metal detecting a joy. (TO ME).

Most of todays detectors find metal pretty well. If someone is a dig it all person, most of what I said is moot. The detector senses it, you dig it, and can't help but find the good stuff. For lots of reasons everyone can't dig it all. I feel that is where the "bells & whistles" come in handy. And make detecting more enjoyable.

The differing features/technology from the 60's, to present are many. They have generally made metal detecting a much more enjoyable hobby. As to whether someone calls them "bells & whistles" or useful features, is a matter of opinion. I tend to agree with Jason in Enid's opinion in that regard.
I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here's something to stir the pot. Back in the late 60's or early 70's there was a detector called ,Something like mertonome. It looked like a flying saucer on the end of a stick. Flat bottom on the coil with a dome cover. I saw a demo, by a dealer. He laid out silver, gold, copper, aluminum, and iron targets. He then ran the detector slowly across the targets. Each target had a specific tone. You could play a tune with them. This is back when there was no target ID. Well it was a great idea, but I found out later on that the detector would go down about 3 or 4 ".
Just an old memory, Frank five star.png

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's something to stir the pot. Back in the late 60's or early 70's there was a detector called ,Something like mertonome. It looked like a flying saucer on the end of a stick. Flat bottom on the coil with a dome cover. I saw a demo, by a dealer. He laid out silver, gold, copper, aluminum, and iron targets. He then ran the detector slowly across the targets. Each target had a specific tone. You could play a tune with them. This is back when there was no target ID. Well it was a great idea, but I found out later on that the detector would go down about 3 or 4 ".
Just an old memory, Frank View attachment 1055426

All new technology is spawned somewhere. Maybe that was the start of its development?

Hey Frankn,
I have a question for you, or anyone else who may know. I was thinking back to the days I detected with my father, back in the 60's. First of all, I was 10 yrs old when he got his first detector. It seems to me it was a Kellyco. Did they sell their own brand detectors at that time? I know his second one was a Whites. I lost a lot of brain cells between then and now, memories fade, but they were good times.:)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
All new technology is spawned somewhere. Maybe that was the start of its development?

Hey Frankn,
I have a question for you, or anyone else who may know. I was thinking back to the days I detected with my father, back in the 60's. First of all, I was 10 yrs old when he got his first detector. It seems to me it was a Kellyco. Did they sell their own brand detectors at that time? I know his second one was a Whites. I lost a lot of brain cells between then and now, memories fade, but they were good times.:)

Years back, maybe 30 or so, I stopped at Kellyco's to get a detector. It was a garden supply store that also sold detectors. They had some new ones, but a lot of older ones, trade ins I guess. Non were there brand.
Frank five star.png

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years back, maybe 30 or so, I stopped at Kellyco's to get a detector. It was a garden supply store that also sold detectors. They had some new ones, but a lot of older ones, trade ins I guess. Non were there brand.
Frank View attachment 1055585
Thanks for the reply. I could almost swear that detector had the kellyco brand.???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread