"BELLS & WHISTLES"

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many times have we seen that term used in posts? In most contexts, it refers to features on a detector that the particular person doesn't have on theirs. (so why should anyone else?)

Take an older or very basic model detector with only all metal (no discrimination), meter (no audio/earphones), factory preset ground balance. By most standards of today, not a very good machine. BUT, it would find buried metal!

So, I guess any features beyond those above, are "BELLS & WHISTLES"

Earphones: bell or whistle? Most folks would not be without them.
Adjustable ground balance: bell or whistle? A basic necessity by todays standards, for different type soil mineralization.
Discrimination of different metals: Probably one of the bigger breakthrough technologies over the years.

Wireless headphones, multiple tone audio ID, manual/adjustable/ground tracking ground balancing, backlit displays, ability to detect on land/in water, notch discrimination and on and on....... BELLS OR WHISTLES?

What SOME consider "bells & whistles", are simply useful features to those who choose to have them. Do we NEED them all? NO. We can still find metal without them.

MOST OF THEM AID IN THE COMFORT/CONVENIENCE OF THE USER. AREN'T WE SUPPOSED TO ENJOY THE HOBBY???

Bells & whistles, or "SOUR GRAPES"

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten real use to having a clock on my Deus XP ... I can now leave my watch at home.
But on the other hand ... I usually hunt till dark anyways.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to refer to them as features. Some people like a machine you can turn on and go. Others like me, like a machine that I can adjust for the conditions I am hunting. I am a bit of a control freak, so I love The F5, no menus, all the settings are right at my fingertips and adjustable on the fly. I think a detector is a personal thing. It has to feel right, sound right, and most of all do what you need it to do.....find good stuff.

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I :dontknow: what's the point.
People are different.

YOU JUST SAID IT, RustyGunn. "People are different". That's the point! Some like simple, others like more tools/convenience. It's a personal choice. If someone doesn't want, or have need of a detector with more features, simply don't buy one. No need to talk down the people who choose a different style of detecting. Why does it have to come down to a competition? Audio only/vs audio,visual display. Or simplicity vs, "bells & whistles". If you are happy with the performance of your detector, it's all good. It's simply a matter of choice. THEY ALL FIND METAL.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people refer to "bells and whistles" it is almost always a term of derision born of jealousy.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be you could call it lazy … Myself i adjust my detectors the way i like them .. hardly ever change them .. and no matter were i hunt i just ground balance and start hunting very seldom do i change the setting's …. So i guess i don't like to mess with the setting's i just want to hunt…………. Lazy you could say that… My Sovereign & Excalibur i never change the setting's .. My 705 hardly ever change them .. " LAZY " OH YA..

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keppy
who digs the hole if your to lazy to set your machine...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm easily confused by too many bells and whistles so I opted for detector that did basically the same with less, I could have had either one.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm easily confused by too many bells and whistles so I opted for detector that did basically the same with less, I could have had either one.
.. yes it gets to be more work to set some of these detectors up than it is worth …. I don't get a kick with making all these setting's on a detector it is the computer geeks types that get a thrill spending all there time running programs instead of hunting..

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bells & Whistles liberate us from the monotony of the mundane meterless monotone.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In the old days, bells & whistles were anything beyond the basic requirements. Example: a basic car was a four door sedan. It was also know as a stripper. It had a base price and did the required job of moving you from place to place. Then came the Bells & Whistles, also known as extras. These were added to the base price. Times change and so do terms. Today, some things that were extra, are now standard. The same thing happened to the detector. You really only need an on/off switch and a volume control. Hay, that's my PI. OH, it does have a pulse delay. Frank five star.png
rose on ice 700 this one.jpg

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, all metal detectors find metal.
My observations of late, is that the ones with "bells n whistles" find more and deeper targets. Much less trash too.
Peace

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten real use to having a clock on my Deus XP ... I can now leave my watch at home.
That's because I was told you can't tell time. I have a sun dial on mine with an alarm... :tongue3:

Ha! LOL!

I have to be home when the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 7. :tongue3:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

I don't watch a clock when I hunt. I just hunt and after a while when I'm getting a bit tired I take outy my phone to check the time. My response is always the same. "Wow! That was a quick three hoirs."

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One man's "bells and whistles" might be another man's necessities. In Alaska, air conditioning in your truck might be considered a luxury. Here in Florida, its a necessity.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
True, all metal detectors find metal.
My observations of late, is that the ones with "bells n whistles" find more and deeper targets. Much less trash too.
Peace
MY PI just has 2 knobs. I turn both to 'preset symbol' and detect. It pulls out the fine gold chains the "bells&whistles" don't find. It has gone app 4' deep for a large find, something the "bells&whistles" won't do.
Bells&whistles are not the reason for more and deeper. Just my experience, Frank View attachment 1053697
View attachment 1053699

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY PI just has 2 knobs. I turn both to 'preset symbol' and detect. It pulls out the fine gold chains the "bells&whistles" don't find. It has gone app 4' deep for a large find, something the "bells&whistles" won't do.
Bells&whistles are not the reason for more and deeper. Just my experience, Frank View attachment 1053697
View attachment 1053699

GOSH Frankn!!!

All that raw power and depth, yet, with such simplistic, understated elegance, and ONLY two knobs! That can't be a metal detector, that's a MAGIC WAND!!

I happen to have a 110 yr old park with every imaginable type of metal junk in it, in great quantities. I would love to observe you there, and be amazed, as you do that magic with your pulse induction magic wand. :) Bring a bushel basket! :) I'll meet you there.

P.S. Just so you recognize me, I'll be the guy RINGIN THAT BELL & BLOWIN THE WHISTLE. :) :) :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread