What is it about Treasure Hunting that is so driving?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
As politically UN-correct as it is, I really want to make that find that will let me retire. I realize the odds of that happening are about the same as winning the lottery but I still buy lottery tickets too. I understand the aspect of doing it for fun and I get a kick out of finding the smallest, least valuable objects and wondering who lost it and how long its been just laying there waiting to be found. I think everyone wants to get rich in one way or another, but most of us have to put in our 40 hours a week and keep food on the table and the roof over our head. For me tho, my time off is more enjoyable treasure hunting instead of rebuilding an old car or something like that. I don't know if you could really call it a passion but for lack of a better word that's what it is. My kids really like to go with me and I love the excitement on all of our faces when we dig up something no matter what it is. Maybe 30 or 40 years down the road that be all the real treasure we ever find...but what a treasure.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always had such an interest in finding that one special item, but the thing is, I don't know what it is...anything I find is special to me...even my "blue pull tab"!! LOL

AnneMarie..you may have already found that "special item". I think when we all get outside, with little or no worries....we are really at peace with the world.....and to think...it's about the only way us "grownups" can still play in the dirt and not be laughed at...lol HH all and God Bless

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junkophile said:
I'm sitting here waiting for my ACE 250 to arrive and wondering what am I getting myself into? I remember reading my dad's old copies to True Treasure magizines when I was a kid and thinking thats cool. I got to watch "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" and later read the book and even today I don't tire of either one. I was fixated on the adventures of Bill Mahan in Treasure Hunter's Digest. I read stories of real life explorers finding tombs and lost cities. I would daydream of pith helmeted, khaki clad men paddling along an uncharted river in a dugout canoe, living off the land and their wits while in search of some lost treasure or ancient fossil bed.

I'm 40 years old and I get giddy as an adolesent on his first kissing date when I think about this subject. I didn't just now get addicited, it's been lurking in me for most of my life. I just decided to finally embrace it. Sure I'll admit it's probably some sort of romantic idealism that draws me but I'm enough of a realist to accept I may never make a major score. Atleast I believe that it'll be a fun ride. It's the element of the Romantic Adventure, the curiousity of what lays under the ground, it's the pondering of the significance of a find and maybe even the hope of monetary gain that are reasons for me to try my hand at swinging a coil over the dirt.

I guess I do have the bug and bad too. I find myself looking for backissues of treasure and metal detecting magizines and books on Ebay. I've begun researching the history of where I live in hopes of finding good search areas. I get a kick out of looking at pics of clad, pull tabs and matchbox cars that others on this forum find and I start drooling when I see relics, bottles, real jewelery, arrowheads, fossils and old coins when their hard work finally pays off. I'm curious to see where this road leads me. :D
Well said ! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread