What is it about Treasure Hunting that is so driving?

Junkophile

Apr 1, 2007
Deep South Texas
I'm sitting here waiting for my ACE 250 to arrive and wondering what am I getting myself into? I remember reading my dad's old copies to True Treasure magizines when I was a kid and thinking thats cool. I got to watch "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" and later read the book and even today I don't tire of either one. I was fixated on the adventures of Bill Mahan in Treasure Hunter's Digest. I read stories of real life explorers finding tombs and lost cities. I would daydream of pith helmeted, khaki clad men paddling along an uncharted river in a dugout canoe, living off the land and their wits while in search of some lost treasure or ancient fossil bed.

I'm 40 years old and I get giddy as an adolesent on his first kissing date when I think about this subject. I didn't just now get addicited, it's been lurking in me for most of my life. I just decided to finally embrace it. Sure I'll admit it's probably some sort of romantic idealism that draws me but I'm enough of a realist to accept I may never make a major score. Atleast I believe that it'll be a fun ride. It's the element of the Romantic Adventure, the curiousity of what lays under the ground, it's the pondering of the significance of a find and maybe even the hope of monetary gain that are reasons for me to try my hand at swinging a coil over the dirt.

I guess I do have the bug and bad too. I find myself looking for backissues of treasure and metal detecting magizines and books on Ebay. I've begun researching the history of where I live in hopes of finding good search areas. I get a kick out of looking at pics of clad, pull tabs and matchbox cars that others on this forum find and I start drooling when I see relics, bottles, real jewelery, arrowheads, fossils and old coins when their hard work finally pays off. I'm curious to see where this road leads me. :D

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's the same as fishing, or gambling, or playing the lottery, etc. You never know whats going to happen.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
I find MD'ing is equal to the individual sports drive in us. When you go fishing you have no idea what you will catch. Once you catch a keeper, you are trying to find more keepers out there. I lure fish because of the added challenge to get a bass to bite on a piece of wood or plastic. That same drive is there with MD'ing, I am trying to uncover that keeper. It is always a grand feeling pulling that coin, relic, etc that you know has been in the ground 100 years.

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Probably most of us have the adventurous spirit in us. For me MDing is a realistic goal. I doubt I'll ever be treking jungles finding cool old treasures. >:(

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junkophile,
Well I've just been given a metal detector (I think it's the model right under yours) by a couple of amazing guys off of T-Net a couple days ago. I'm also waiting for it, for it should be here early this next week. I'm only 24 and a college student, but I feel exactly like you do. I've felt this way since I was a kid and watched Indiana Jones for the first time!! I've been asked by many people, including the man who is responsible for making sure I got a detector, how I've been on here for so many years, posting & researching and have never had a detector of my own... I guess everything you just said sums it all up. You said it exactly how I've wanted to explain it, but haven't to this point been able to convey. I'm really excited for you!! I think we're both in the same boat in being able to finally pursue that passion we've wanted to for so many years. I know it all starts with research, then metal & relic detecting... but I wouldn't be surprised if either one of us (or both!) end up in some other country in the jungles somewhere looking for treasure. Maybe I'll meet you someday, eh? ;D
Good luck with it all, and remember to post all your pictures of your finds!

HH,
Bran <><

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
eagle77 said:
I find MD'ing is equal to the individual sports drive in us. When you go fishing you have no idea what you will catch. Once you catch a keeper, you are trying to find more keepers out there. I lure fish because of the added challenge to get a bass to bite on a piece of wood or plastic. That same drive is there with MD'ing, I am trying to uncover that keeper. It is always a grand feeling pulling that coin, relic, etc that you know has been in the ground 100 years.

Um.....maybe it's the treasure ?? Seriously, I got a 6lb smallmouth a few years back, it just makes me want an 8. I love the hunt and the history, breaking through on some research topic is almost as good as actually digging the site.

la9

Mar 25, 2007
It's dodging all the gun shots pointed your way..........................

Sorry just had to say it cause of the other thread I posted earlier

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
"I'm sitting here waiting for my ACE 250 to arrive and wondering what am I getting myself into? I remember reading my dad's old copies to True Treasure magizines when I was a kid and thinking thats cool. I got to watch "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" and later read the book and even today I don't tire of either one. I was fixated on the adventures of Bill Mahan in Treasure Hunter's Digest. I read stories of real life explorers finding tombs and lost cities. I would daydream of pith helmeted, khaki clad men paddling along an uncharted river in a dugout canoe, living off the land and their wits while in search of some lost treasure or ancient fossil bed.

I'm 40 years old and I get giddy as an adolesent on his first kissing date when I think about this subject. "

You answered your own question by your above statement. Next time you get to watch "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" watch Bogart's eye's Houston's eyes they leave a lot for your imagination.
Happy Metal Dectecting.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I think for me it's the same thing that has plagued man since the beginning . The lure of the unknown . Man has always been on a quest , exploring , looking up into the heavens , paddeling up & down rivers & traveling miles through forrest & rough country just to see whats on the other side of the hill . You just never know what you might dig up . It's kind of magical to go beeping along & get that signal , never quite sure what might come to the light of day that hasn't been seen by human eyes for who knows how many years .

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
WV Hillbilly said:
I think for me it's the same thing that has plagued man since the beginning . The lure of the unknown . Man has always been on a quest , exploring , looking up into the heavens , paddeling up & down rivers & traveling miles through forrest & rough country just to see whats on the other side of the hill . You just never know what you might dig up . It's kind of magical to go beeping along & get that signal , never quite sure what might come to the light of day that hasn't been seen by human eyes for who knows how many years .

Right on!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junkie friend:

I'm sitting here waiting for my ACE 250 to arrive and wondering what am I getting myself into? I remember reading my dad's old copies to True Treasure magizines when I was a kid and thinking thats cool. I got to watch "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" and later read the book and even today I don't tire of either one. I was fixated on the adventures of Bill Mahan in Treasure Hunter's Digest. I read stories of real life explorers finding tombs and lost cities. I would daydream of pith helmeted, khaki clad men paddling along an uncharted river in a dugout canoe, living off the land and their wits while in search of some lost treasure or ancient fossil bed

Hi, I guess that like religion, each person has a different idea what it is all about even though we all read the same books. It cannot be put into words that describe it for each of us, but you have done an excellent job of describing my attitude and life. Never lose that attitude, always keep it close to you. read my message below my avatar to the left.

I have been extremely fortunate in that I was able to follow your/our dream. Even today the simple finding of a coin or artifact from the past evolves wonders and visions as to how, why, when, & from whom, etc did it end up there.

I did just what you described, I lived off of the land for 6 months in the Jungles of Southern Mexico/Honduras looking for lost Mayan ruins among other things. However, no dugout canoe was involved, just back packs. hehe.

Don Jose de La Mancha - Tropical Tramp

Attachments

• .jpgpartner when reachig river after two days without water..jpg
    .jpgpartner when reachig river after two days without water..jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 237
  • .jpgpartner when reachig river after two days without water..jpg
    .jpgpartner when reachig river after two days without water..jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 230
  • .JPGEXPLORERS CLUB MEMBERSHI PCARD.jpg
    .JPGEXPLORERS CLUB MEMBERSHI PCARD.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 226

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
I think its the adventure of the hunt, after doing the research and somtimes finding what your looking for.
I love it when the none addicted ask have you found any treasure yet I always say yes and then I show them a hand full of pulltabs and pennies, the look they give is priceless...

To me finding an old part of history is just as rewarding as finding a silver half (I was going to say a gold coin but havent found one yet)

HH
Joe
heard a good one ;D
Got an XLT for my girlfriend today I thought that was a good deal dont you ??? :D ;D :D

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
HI NORCAl: That depends, can the XLT make good tortillas and scrarch your back? snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha Tropical tramp

What program would that be relic or ???

HH
Joe

OP
OP
J

Junkophile

Apr 1, 2007
Deep South Texas
Don Jose, you've been blessed with the adventurer's life. I remember reading about the early explorers and archelogists seaching for Maya ruins. They certainly were an intresting bunch, Morely(sp?) comes to mind. Two very intresting books I have were written by Willaim La Varre, an American who explored central and south America looking for gold, gems and even rare ochids in the 30's and 40's. As much as I've read I just wish I could remember all the names. I have a never ending fascination with adventures who choose to pursue some quest or even just take a peek beyond the next ridge.

Well at least I live in an area with plenty of history and access to a few places that have probably never had a coil passed over it. I'll armchair the distant lands for now. ;D

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I think it is the mystery of what might be found under the coil of your detector. ;)

If you have target ID and it shows a dime...what year is it going to be....a 16D Merc????, 1894 Barber??? a seated dime???? The mystery of what someone has lost, and you get to retrieve it out of the ground!!!!!!!! That is COOL !!!!! 8) 8)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have had the bug a very longtime, just didnt get a metal detector until about 4 years ago, its like fishing for me and the wife , we always want the bigger fish and more of them, its a hard thing for us to go fishing or detecting, so we take the detectors fishing with us in the boat , if the fish arent biting ,,, well its time to hit land for awhile and see what happens , never know what you'll find along the lakes, just not enough time in our days off.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detecting is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you'll get.

I see a parallel with fishing. You look over a spot and try and think what lies beneath. You cover the area, usually concentrating on spots that seem to hole more promise. And you never really know until it's at the surface what you've caught.

Nothing dies - except the worms in both pursuits. Sucks to be a worm.

Similarities with hunting, also. I approach them about the same. Some scouting, some planning, and the more time you spend in the field the better your chances. Sometimes you luck into a trophy, but the consistantly successful are those that do their homework.

And who doesn't like coins? Little works of art with history. It's like finding little Easter eggs hidden here and there.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I feel like many of you...regarding metal detecting....but I can't put "fishing and metal detecting" in the same sentence...ewww...LOL

However, I am so addicted to genealogy, I live it, I breathe it, I sleep and dream it and even added three more branches to my family tree so it keeps growing :)

I have always had such an interest in finding that one special item, but the thing is, I don't know what it is...anything I find is special to me...even my "blue pull tab"!! LOL

I would love to ask the new owners of a home I grew up in, if I can metal detect the yard. (They don't keep the yard as nice as my Daddy did, sad to say :( )....but I know I would find me some silver coins and possibly a few Indian Heads and LOTS of Wheaties (my Mom's favorite). My mother was a coin collector (and sadly, us kids, not knowning any better)...well, we would use some of Mom's coins for our pretend store (until Mom caught us one day.) Dad was a stamp collector. (My parents divorced and sold the house in 1972.)

Guess when and if I ever get back to Fayetteville, NC...I'll see if I gather up the nerve to ask...all they can say is no (I'll make sure I bring some old photos of us in the yard and the house to prove it!)

But finding that item and researching it and learning about the people...researching the land...it's so much better than .............!

But, like someone said and makes sense "It's like a box of chocolates....."

Wishing you all well in your endeavors with metal detecting and hope you find that one special item!

HH,
Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread