Incredible idea for a digging tool/design...

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
well I admit that im lazy { and also like inventions and even have my own invention that was granted a U.S patent} and I have a idea for a diggin tool that may work perfectly for people in this hobby.

After spending about a hour today with my new Time Ranger, I realzie theres no way im gonna want to dig items that show up as being 8-10" deep on my detector. Using a garden tool or knife,etc to dig this deep, ecspecially in hard ground, is not something I desire to do over and over and over.

My idea is simple.....buy a 5"-6" hole saw, cut out the back of the hole saw { where it usaully mounts up to the hole saw drill bit that goes into the drill} then mig weld a circular piece of steel thats approxiamtely 10" long to the part of the whole saw that has the teeth. Then finnaly , weld that to al ong steel bar that can be put into the end of a drill....

What you would end up with is a 6" wide hole saw thats about 10" deep and could be put in the end of a cordless drill. You would now have a hole soil saw ;D ;D , that would allow you to easily drill out a plug of soil without much effort at all. The drill and the soil hole saw would do much of the work and all that would be needed to seperate the plug of soil would be a long flathead screwdriver....No need to get on your hands and knees using a garden tool or knife trying to dig a 8-10" plug of soil that you think may have some goodies....

good idea ??? or not :D

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
It could work provided your drill had enough torque to turn a saw that large. Beyond that I think rocks would kill your teeth pretty quickly. Still a neat idea! 8)

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
People may not want to add too much more weight to their arsenal. It is an excellent idea.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
well I wouldnt carry it with me while using my detcetor..I would mark my spots then come back to those areas with the drill and hole saw to do the diggin part and if need be, use the small pinpont detcetor ...I guess rocks would be a problem but if I was hitting one, I would be able to tell and would then just reposition the hole saw ........then again...maybe its easier to just take a standard shovel along to help out with those 10 " + finds that have to be dug...

Shortround

Feb 28, 2007
Castlewood, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Sovereign GT Sunray S1 Probe
Neat idea, but I intentially cut my plugs with one side straight so I cn put it back the same way it came out of the ground, plus, I already pack enough weight around with me without having to pack my cordless drill ;)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rumme said:
well I admit that im lazy { and also like inventions and even have my own invention that was granted a U.S patent} and I have a idea for a diggin tool that may work perfectly for people in this hobby.

After spending about a hour today with my new Time Ranger, I realzie theres no way im gonna want to dig items that show up as being 8-10" deep on my detector. Using a garden tool or knife,etc to dig this deep, ecspecially in hard ground, is not something I desire to do over and over and over.

My idea is simple.....buy a 5"-6" hole saw, cut out the back of the hole saw { where it usaully mounts up to the hole saw drill bit that goes into the drill} then mig weld a circular piece of steel thats approxiamtely 10" long to the part of the whole saw that has the teeth. Then finnaly , weld that to al ong steel bar that can be put into the end of a drill....

What you would end up with is a 6" wide hole saw thats about 10" deep and could be put in the end of a cordless drill. You would now have a hole soil saw ;D ;D , that would allow you to easily drill out a plug of soil without much effort at all. The drill and the soil hole saw would do much of the work and all that would be needed to seperate the plug of soil would be a long flathead screwdriver....No need to get on your hands and knees using a garden tool or knife trying to dig a 8-10" plug of soil that you think may have some goodies....

good idea ??? or not :D

Four quick pushes with a Lesche and you get a 7" deep plug. If it's deeper than that.

AlfansoShovel.jpg

This one does 10" at a push and weighs less than my 18v Skil cordless. ;)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Good luck to you,however,I wouldn't use it.As unreliable as a depth reading is,there's too much risk in damaging the target,especially,if there is more than one target in there.Of course,if a 8-10" hole is too much for you,the care in taking a target out might not mean as much to you as it does to a lot of us.To each his own.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
warsawdaddy said:
Good luck to you,however,I wouldn't use it.As unreliable as a depth reading is,there's too much risk in damaging the target,especially,if there is more than one target in there.Of course,if a 8-10" hole is too much for you,the care in taking a target out might not mean as much to you as it does to a lot of us.To each his own.

Excellent point. If I hit something that indicates a coin at 8" or 10" I'm going to dig that target out gingerly. The difference between a $7 coin and a $700 coin is one light kiss from the steel of a spade, shovel, or post-hole auger.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
I don't know if I could carry all the extra battery packs that would be needed!

But the thought is a good one!

What you need is an electric one with a 1000 foot extension cord!!! Then you could plug it into the cigarette lighter in your truck. :D

-Buckleboy

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the plug would still be connected at the bottom.......might not even work as discribed.....mud ,loose soil.....sand.....none not gonna work

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Assuming you are good at using the 'pin-point' mode of your machine, make yourself a long handled Leche-type tool with a four inch diameter piece of exhaust pipe 12" long. Cut the bottom on a sharp diagonal and sharpen it. Weld a cross(foot) piece centered on the pipe top. The cross-piece will have a 5/16" hole drilled in it so a rod with plunger can be used to push out the plug(similar to plunger in a grease-gun, a disk, double-nutted on the threaded bottom of rod).

Thread the top of the 'plunger-rod' for a large round drawer-pull. This will keep it from falling out. Attach/weld the long handle on the outside of the pipe. I use a 4" piece of 3/8" square stock with enough sticking up to mount a cross-grip shovel handle.

When using,the first thing I do is, using a knife, cut a large 'V' centered over the target, five inches to the side with the top uncut and still part of the root system. I roll the 'V' back with the top still connected. This way, when I refill the hole, I can spray(I carry a small bottle of water/plant food) the bottom of the root mass and loose soil it is set back into to help the healing of the plug.

After the cut 'V' in the grass is rolled away I set the sharpened end over the target center and step down on the foot piece, first one side-then the other. This rocks the tool back and forth, helping downward cutting. The plunger raises up with the plug. As I near the indicated depth I usually lose my nerve and finish the dig with a detector-probe and hand tool. Because of this I prefer a four inch dia. hole. Make sure you check the plug after you use the plunger to push the plug out of the pipe.

Having said that, remember that this procedure will destroy a target in an instant. Learn to use the pin-point and depth indicators on your machine and do not get greedy as you near the target.

Bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread