Considering a detector upgrade for cellar hole hunting - Advice appreciated

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I've been detecting since 1997 when I bought my first Bounty Hunter detector used. Got a White's Spectrum XLT in 1998 that lasted me more than 20 years, but it never really went deep enough for my satisfaction. The past two years, I've been using a Nokta Simplex+ with the 11" DD coil, and it has given me the depth I craved for years. I dug a Draped Bust large cent at more than 10 inches last fall, which blew my mind. I have no complaints at all about the Simplex+ in open filed situations - it goes very, very deep and the stock coil is great for scanning large areas rapidly. The trouble is that I'm basically shut out of iron-infested cellar holes at least with the larger coil. It's not the best at finding coins among the rusty nails. I've therefore been thinking about new gear to keep me busy this summer.

There are two competing lines of thinking here...

1) Get a smaller coil for the Simplex+ like the SP24 for rusty nail beds and save a bunch of money. I've found only three large cents (all toasted) and three Indian cents in six years of detecting cellar holes around here (and not a single piece of silver), so why spend big bucks on a high-end machine? I'm not retired and I don't have a lot of time for detecting like some of you might. The finds in my current location are meager compared to places I lived in the past, and the soil is not kind to copper coins. By the time I retire, there will be some new machine available that is way better than what we have now.

2) Go for a high-end detector instead, because I'll eventually tire of the Simplex+ and buy one anyway. Don't spend money on a small coil that you'll use for 6 months before buying another machine, right? I know I'm going to lose money on any new detector due to where I live, but I'll enjoy the heck out of using it on the dozen or so sites I have at my disposal. You only live once, right?

So if it's going to be #2, then I think I've settled on the XP Deus 2 as the best machine for me. I typically hike long distances with my detector in a backpack, so a lightweight/compact machine is very attractive. I'm an "audio detectorist" who uses my ears to pick out signals, rather than a "visual detectorist" who looks at the screen frequently. I absolutely could not stand to deal with a machine that falses off iron constantly. Wireless headphones are a must. The Deus 2 seems to be the winner compared to other top-end machines like the Equinox 700/900, the Legend, or the Manticore based on these constraints.

Anyway, I'm soliciting your thoughts as to which line of thinking makes more sense. I don't *think* I'm going to start digging jars full of Spanish silver and Seated/Bust coins in my present location. With a high-end machine, I'll probably do a bit better with Indian cents and toasted coppers with a machine like the Deus 2 because I can get into the ferrous areas closer to the cellar holes - but no metal detector can make silver appear where there was none in the first place.

Also, if I went with a new Deus 2, does my logic in choosing it over the other machines make sense? Which coil would you select for the dedicated cellar hole hunter?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE REPORT If trash around the celar holes and there usually is get a 9 inch

:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions