Why do people post about sites they intend to metal detect?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
btw.... went out today... ran the excal2 found 27 cents.. ton of trash...3 bottle caps...6 pull tabs...2 nails and a funky object... then went magnet fishing and caught a key fob(modern).
my girl found 3 pieces of metal and a nail... no trash

Great magnetic fishing. Here we go again. Honey where's that big magnet we have and will your uncle let me borrow the electric reel. We are going treasure huntin.

sent from a sending device.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great magnetic fishing. Here we go again. Honey where's that big magnet we have and will your uncle let me borrow the electric reel. We are going treasure huntin.

Heh... Well just so the "picture" is clear... I would NEVER drop a detector to pick up a magnet... BUT the park I was at only allows detecting during certain hours... and those hours were... detected up...SO... besides... I built the damn thing from a massive earth magnet of boredom one day for my girl... she was dying to try it...
I was just curious... but will say it has potential... TO FIND EVERYTHING............................ that I do not like finding.
But hey... it made her smile.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
btw.... went out today... ran the excal2 found 27 cents.. ton of trash...3 bottle caps...6 pull tabs...2 nails and a funky object... then went magnet fishing and caught a key fob(modern).
my girl found 3 pieces of metal and a nail... no trash

Congrats on the Excal great machine in the right hands ....but you need a better location to make it work to it`s full potential. HH
Gary

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
P.S...

<<<<<---This avatar pic... is me holding the three most prized pieces of Mel's gold ... at age 13.

Thats what cool about this site. It puts u in the same room with legends of the hobby. Man I wished I started this earlier. Must have been really cool to be around when Mel was discovering all those treasures.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree we are here for members to post.

As long as they do it in the correct areas, it's fine by me
I'm in total agreement with Jeff, it is the purpose of TN forums..

What I have trouble understanding is why it would bother anyone......

Last edited:

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that people share because I am a noob at MD still and it is nice to hear what type of area people are contemplating on searching. It gives me idea's on where to hunt in my area.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For example: "Just got permission to hunt an old farm that burned down during the 1800's... can't wait to get out there...blah blah blah..."

What is the point of these posts? Go there and find something before you post about it.
You've never told anyone about a promising fishing hot spot that you heard about?...you could of just went there and caught fish before you talked about it...same thing...its exciting to talk about the potential of a detecting site, or a fishing honey hole.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with keppy on that one for the most part. I'd have to be ultra excited to say make a post in today's finds, not because I'm not out there everyday finding stuff, but rather for the many times I've been hamstringed by *friends*.
However I don't see what the problem is about sharing where you are going, like saying I finally found that 1840's school location...heck yeah I'm gonna boast that. Good luck wishes and encouragement never hurt!.

Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with keppy on that one for the most part. I'd have to be ultra excited to say make a post in today's finds, not because I'm not out there everyday finding stuff, but rather for the many times I've been hamstringed by *friends*.
However I don't see what the problem is about sharing where you are going, like saying I finally found that 1840's school location...

Mike
…Yes that is ok as long as you do not tell were that location is...

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Just like some of the crap I post. Just something to talk about. People are excited or want conversation on the subject.

I mean, If you really think about it, your post is the same. It's for a question,conversation or support related to detecting. :laughing7:

The places people give away, is what amazes me. Not only with detecting, but with gold panning too. I've also seen a lot of good secrets in all areas. Just given away to the world. Where it took someone a lot of work researching, then just put it at someones finger tips, that doesn't have to do the work.

I would never give away any sites that I metal detect at, I do like to describe what kind of site I'm at, For Example: 1893 Abandoned School House.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see nothing wrong with getting excited about new turf to hunt. The only thing I would be worried about is posting phone cam picks of my sites as they can contain the exact location information embedded in them. I think there is a video on this site that shows how anyone can get this info from your cellphone pics if you have location turned on.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont post much on where I'm gonna hunt...mostly cause I hunt in unexciting places.now if I was given permission to hunt an 1800s bare knuckle fighting arena next to the horse racing picnic area,between the gambling hall and the general store...well that might be differant.oh and the town wishing well now exposed...woo hoo !!!

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Will a lot of us hunt by ourselves...and just need to tell someone the good news !
Heck i`m always talking to myself...and sometimes it just leaks out into print.....i see no harm .
Gary

heck yeah.i like talking to myself too....................I GET BETTER ANSWERS THAT WAY.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree we are here for members to post.

As long as they do it in the correct areas, it's fine by me

Well then, how about a sub-forum under Finds for "Found New Site/Permission Discussion". That way they have the "correct area" to post in. Just a thought.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Or you could call it "Idle Chatter". That way we know to avoid or participate.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could call it "Idle Chatter". That way we know to avoid or participate.

That can just as easily be done now.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread