Why do people post about sites they intend to metal detect?

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To each his/her own i never tell of my spots or what i find..

I never tell where my spots are, or any discernable characteristics, but I will tell you of a prospective spot that I may have just gotten permissions for. If I got anything of interest to the clan here, I would immediately post it for everyone to enjoy.

I see no harm in talking about your prospective detecting sites. Just remember opsec - If someone knows where you live and you say old "fairgrounds", "a hill there", "mound behind the horse stalls", or other pertinent details, they may just put it all together and beat you to it. Keep things vague but honest, and you'll be able to discuss.

For instance, I got permission to hunt the grounds and fields of an 1811 farm. I live in NH. I just described about 1000 farmhouses just like it in this state. See what I mean? Its fun to discuss your passion with like-minded people. Gab away! :hello2:

ETA: Oh by the way, Wife and I are going to Aruba for our 38th anniversary. I might take my detector along...

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ETA: Oh by the way, Wife and I are going to Aruba for our 38th anniversary. I might take my detector along...

I wish you better luck than I had! I only found one tiny silver ring and mixed coinage. Very, very, very sparse targets. If you are staying in a higher end hotel with private beach you might have better luck.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You've never told anyone about a promising fishing hot spot that you heard about?...you could of just went there and caught fish before you talked about it...same thing...its exciting to talk about the potential of a detecting site, or a fishing honey hole.

Absolutely not. I don't talk about my fishing spots with anyone (except my paying clients).

Maybe its just me, but someone posting that they "just got permission to search an old site" sounds like children bragging "I got an ice cream cone and you don't".

Post pics of the finds. Everybody enjoys seeing those. (Like big fish pics).

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see a problem with people doing this. They are excited and want to talk about there upcoming adventure. There's freewill if your not interested in reading what they have to say then dont click on it. Problem solved.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely not. I don't talk about my fishing spots with anyone (except my paying clients).

Maybe its just me, but someone posting that they "just got permission to search an old site" sounds like children bragging "I got an ice cream cone and you don't".

Maybe it's just you that feels left out by these posts?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So,.....You would feel better if you had an Ice cream cone? :laughing7:

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with it but I don't. I'd feel embarrassed if the site didn't produce, which a lot don't like you hope for.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nevermind

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont see a problem with people doing this. They are excited and want to talk about there upcoming adventure. There's freewill if your not interested in reading what they have to say then dont click on it. Problem solved.

I don't see a problem either, like you said I don't have to read them. I'm trying to figure out what their reason is for announcing they have received some kind of special access to a site before they even search it. It just sounds like childish bragging to me, that's all. We're all adults here. Post your finds, we like to see them. We don't care what "permission" you received.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see a problem either, like you said I don't have to read them. I'm trying to figure out what their reason is for announcing they have received some kind of special access to a site before they even search it. It just sounds like childish bragging to me, that's all. We're all adults here. Post your finds, we like to see them. We don't care what "permission" you received.

There is no need to insult those who wish to tell.... We are forum for sharing, If they wish to share they can..... How can telling of permissions gained be called "childish bragging" , yet postings pictures of finds is not?

If some members don't care to read the permission threads don't read them, those who wish to post them can post them with out being attacked or insulted, they cause no harm...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your right...its just you.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boatload, you say "WE" don't care what permission you received? I'm not included in "WE". I like reading of new permissions. A new permission is a great "find".
Peace ✌

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your right...its just you.

I guess so, LOL.

"It is unfortunate to have views which differ from the rest of mankind. It secures abuse." - General Daniel Harvey Hill C.S.A.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess so, LOL.

"It is unfortunate to have views which differ from the rest of mankind. It secures abuse." - General Daniel Harvey Hill C.S.A.

It made a good thread! lol

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess so, LOL.

I stand by myself on issues all the time...nothing wrong with that. :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted... RJ55 please follow rules....

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
For example: "Just got permission to hunt an old farm that burned down during the 1800's... can't wait to get out there...blah blah blah..."

What is the point of these posts? Go there and find something before you post about it.

because they can.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, Wife and I decided against Aruba. Looks like now its going to be somewhere in Florida. She is looking at bookings now. Sister-In-Law has a house on west coast. Son's in-laws have a timeshare available that week on east coast. If we cant get a decent room for a few days, we'll backfill it.

So I'm gonna dig something this winter by golly! :tongue3:

I got permission to dig at an old farm right before the snow, so I'll be a-diggin there in the spring too. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread