Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get a safe, that's the first thing a thief will see and take. If you really want to protect your treasure get a big Styrofoam cooler fill it with your treasure and then duct tape it closed. Then write in big letters "Bio Hazard - Infected Blood/Tissue Samples" on the cooler. Your treasure will be safe forever.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's irresponsible to own firearms and not have a safe. That may be good advice for your treasures but not your guns. The main thing you want to do is make sure you bolt down whatever safe you get. Most all safes can be pried open relatively quick with a pry bar once they are on their side. It's much harder if the thief can't move it. I've heard good things about liberty safes. Costco has cheaper cannon safes, they are pretty decent and are around $7-800.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the older safes, I'll try to post some pics of mine later.

If you're not in a hurry, and watch ebay, craig's list, auctions and estate sales, you can find a big beauty for half the price of a new "gun" safe, and much better quality than the drywall lined steel boxes they are peddling.

The last one I picked up, was from a small town's surplus auction, 4ft.w, 4ft. deep, and over 6ft. high, double doors, class "A" fire rated, and probably 30 to 40 years old, for $550. !

One challenge is moving them, I borrow a small tilt bed trailer, roll, winch, pry them on and off. All the big, older ones are on wheels.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not showing anyone my safe.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll admit I have one. But its not at my home. And certainly no crowbar or anything else just about will open it. Can withstand a thermal lance for a hour..in other words, God himself would have a tough go of it. For the knowledgeable, its txtl60.

BC

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 3 but here's the real "safe"... Model 70 300 Mag Winchester among some other "toys".

Attachments

• #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 88

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a tip if contemplating buying one. Don't get the Sentry safes with a numeric pad. If you give it a good whack on the top of the numeric pad the bolt will jump & it's open. Took me 5 minutes to figure this out, so it should take a thief .2 seconds (the bad guys practice) Sentry has been aware of this for a long time, but profits rule as we all know.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a person were to hide valuables of metal inside a wall of gypsum board, is there anyway to make said valuables unrecognizable to a metal detector?
I'm thinking of making a "smash n grab" hiding spot.
Safes are obvious.
Thanks
Peace ✌

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a person were to hide valuables of metal inside a wall of gypsum board, is there anyway to make said valuables unrecognizable to a metal detector?
Safes are obvious.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Sure... just make sure all valuables are made of paper or plastic ...
Just like at grocery store... heh.
:)
Wood is classed in paper :P

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had an idea - maybe more like a fantasy - of having some huge twisted metal, Mad Max-looking safe covered with bent and twisted steel, huge rivets like found on an old ship hull, and rebar and spikes. I want a safe that when seen, causes instant fear. I want a safe that is so heavy that it cant be moved with anything less than a forklift. It will have three locks to go through and three doors, the last being the original safe door.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ARRC.
I will liquidate to paper.
The "hardware" will still be a problem.
Peace ✌

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhh so you admit you have one ... heh heh heh. :)

Thar be pirates on te waters I say... pay mind how she lay... arrrg.

Send them pirates! They'll have to get past my slavering, vicious hellhound, Kaycee. Here is a pic of him after a porcupine encounter last fall. He saw a "kitty" in the woods and ran up to it to say hello and perhaps a mutual butt-sniffing, but the kitty turned out to be a porky, and the porky couldn't care less about the K-Dog. Kayce didnt know - he tried to sniff anyway, all he got was a single quill for all his effort. That poor puppy just don't get it.

What a sad sack, huh?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just discovered that if walls constructed of gypsum, "drywall", are attached to hollow metal studs, (usually used for commercial purposes), the metal studs alone will show to a metal detector. Coins taped to a single metal stud read same as a void metal stud. Interesting...
Peace ✌

gianetics

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got a sturdy safe. and let me tell you 99.99% of thieves wont get into this one. 100% of smash and grab thieves. this sucker is 7 gauge steel secured into a corner, reinforced under the house and secured with 1/2 carriage bolts. good luck! im not saying an extremely skilled thief can get into it im just saying anyone with the skills to do it aint trying to rob my house. heck the safe is worth more than everything i got in it. i also store black powder all around it so go ahead and try and use a blow torch :). now i just need to make sure i lock it

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've "looked into" vintage safes made by the Hamilton Safe Co. circa 1900. They are surely worth more than I have to put in.
Peace ✌

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safes are obvious.
Thanks
Peace ✌
What about using a small breaker box? Just don't break any of the plates over the breaker slots, remove the buss bar(s) plenty of room behind that inner panel. OR you could just add a bogus breaker box in the closet like what's found in some apartments. Cup hooks in the studs to hold your goodies in bags and it' probably sound like a box with wiring running to it.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this might stir some debate but I do not own a safe. I have many guns and valuables but no safe. Reason being I know of someone who was killed at home in front of his family for not being able to open the safe fast enough for the perp. I know there's digital but I've never been in that situation and can't say if I would remember the code. Or say I wasn't home and someone else such as my wife had trouble opening it. I'm not going act like superman and say I wouldn't let it get to that point, cause you never know. My guns are easily accessible yet cannot be found throughout the house. Try hiding a safe. Just my opinion, based on past experience. Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's irresponsible to own firearms and not have a safe. That may be good advice for your treasures but not your guns. The main thing you want to do is make sure you bolt down whatever safe you get. Most all safes can be pried open relatively quick with a pry bar once they are on their side. It's much harder if the thief can't move it. I've heard good things about liberty safes. Costco has cheaper cannon safes, they are pretty decent and are around $7-800.
I have multiple guns and no safe, guns are loaded and hidden through out my home. I also have no kids at home....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread