Letter of Disappointment to the Elusive Silver Quarter...

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dearest Silver Quarter(of any mint or year),

I hate you. Wherever you are. I've found many of your siblings; the dime, the nickel and the penny...even your deficient twin, the clad quarter. But you? No! I have been looking for you since 2010, and apparently thus far in vain. Why must you hide from me? Bigfoot, for comparison, has overstayed his welcome...unlike you. I hate you! I'll love you when I find you, but right now...I hate you!! :BangHead:

Most Sincerely,

Your far and wide wandering, dirt stained, aging, disillusioned metal detecting friend(or foe?),

Jarl

:sadsmiley:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now send the letter and follow it to the silver, I cant see any flaw in that logic.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Now send the letter and follow it to the silver, I cant see any flaw in that logic.

I think I will join the OP in that then :laughing7:. I have only found three silvers since 2013, a 1904 Barber dime in a pocket spill (April 2013), a 1943 War Nickel (April 2015), and a 1779 Half Reale!!! (April 2015). That is it, two solid years and that is it! I found 12 coppers including at least two readable coppers from the 1600's, three silvers is it on silver.

Last edited:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't figure out your dilemma!? I have several! They are easy to find. All you have to do is swing your coil over one!!!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Coin Gods are holding a very special one for your first, the more you search for it the sooner it will appear, and great fortune will attend your quest. Cheers!!

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Hang in there Jarl! Thought I'd never find one either but I got a 1944 quarter in January after several years of detecting. No silver coins since then for me but that does not stop me from trying a couple times a week. Metal detecting is 10% research and 90% luck. You just have to swing that coil where no one has searched before and believe me there is a lot of competition out there from other detectorists. Think about it, dimes and pennies are easy to lose as they are small, quarters not so much due to being larger and easier to spot laying on the ground so many were probably picked up before being covered by the dirt. I bet you find one before too long. Give us an update when it happens! GL & HH :thumbsup:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I suggest borrowing a silver coin from someone, place the coin on the ground, turn your detector on and repeatedly swing the coil over the coin. I say to do this just as they use an item placed under a bloodhounds nose so they get the smell for the item they want the hound to seek out..do the same for the detector with the coin and reward the detector with fresh batteries when it beeps over the silver.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah those silver quarters were easy to see lying there on the ground bright and shiny in the sunlight !! They have been evading my coil for a while now also along with their brethren the half-dollar and dollar coins !!! Might hit two years if I get through this one with no big silver coinage finds !

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only pulled 3 in my 12 months of detecting. Yes silver dimes are more abundant due to their size and how fast they can be lost in the grass. Quarters on the other hand are larger and can be found more easily. You will swing over one soon enough. patience my friend.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, the love/hate relationship!

Jarl the odds are now in your favor! Go forth and find your silver quarter, for it awaits you! (Pic of the happy dance when you find it)!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What? People actually find silver quarters? :laughing7:
$0.25 in 1964 had the same buying power as $1.90 in 2015.
A gallon of gas in 1964. Or a loaf of bread then.
Keep at it,there's one out there somewhere.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with you Jarl. Despite finding smaller silver coins into the 1800's, a beautiful sterling thimble, a forty year old class ring and other goodies, I have yet to find a silver quarter and I have been hunting since 2007. Found a beauty of a 1944 silver war nickle today, but I really, really want a quarter (or silver half or dollar, since I haven't found those either).

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure I'll have no problem knowing that 'it' will be something worth digging when my machine screams over one. The problem is, availability. I need to get into some really untouched places for one. I know i'll find one, but I'll have to tweak the strategy a little bit. I'll be posting it...maybe not tomorrow, but eventually. ;) Thanks for the likes and comments everyone, I enjoy reading everyone's individual take on the subject. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread