Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are hundreds of threads regarding this issue. Please search using "Best detector" and I am sure you will have hours of reading enjoyment.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone! I'm new to this and I want to get a good /detector ... I'm looking to spend about $300. What is the best brand or even detector to startup with? Any suggestions or ideas would be Great! Im from Upstate New York- Saratoga if anyone is up this way!! Thanks for your time and Help!!!
Thanks!
Kevin
What kind of hunting, land or water, coins, relics, jewelry?

It is like asking what kind of rod and reel to buy with out telling us what kind of fishing your doing...

Welcome to TreasureNet...

OP
OP
U

Upstatehombre

Apr 29, 2015
Saratoga
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! Thanks for the correction. I'm going to be land hunting... Probably jewelry and coins. Just a weekend thing to start out , maybe more if I can sneak out more lol

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in the same situation a few years back. Went with an ACE 250, a small trowel, a digging pouch and a cheap pin pointer. All for just under $300. Many hours of detecting since then, lots of cool finds and no regrets. Used it for 3 years before upgrading, mostly because I wanted a waterproof machine, rains to much in WA state! Now it's my backup machine/loaner. Don't just take my advice though, do some research and find out what others started out with. Good luck! :thumbsup:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone! I'm new to this and I want to get a good /detector ... I'm looking to spend about $300. What is the best brand or even detector to startup with? Any suggestions or ideas would be Great! Im from Upstate New York- Saratoga if anyone is up this way!! Thanks for your time and Help!!!
Thanks!
Kevin

Hi hombre, welcome to the board and this hobby very easily turns into a money pit !! In this hobby unlike some others IMO it really is worth spending more, if you are serious, at the 300 $ price point your best choice would be some name brand used detector most likely, there are no new machines I would even consider using at that price point ! But then I fit into the hardcore hunter category a given that I have been hunting for 30 + years :metaldetector:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net!

My only advice is go to a detector dealership that carries the major brands and do a test drive to see how they work, ask questions. See what they look like. If you buy one from the Internet just be careful there Chinese knock offs that are crap.

Also if there is a metal detecting club near you go to a couple of meetings and ask questions, maybe someone will let you do a hands on to see how you like theirs, while you are there.

All the major brands make quality detectors and have some good ones in the starter range.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't NEED a good pin pointer, but they sure are nice!! It keeps a guy from digging a lot of holes. I usually pin point the target and if it is 2 or 3 inches, cut a slit and pry it up with a screw driver. Works great!!:thumbsup:

Welcome to TNET....you'll pick up a lot of good pointers (opinions) here!!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T-net. I'm from Syracuse NY and this is my setup: Garrett Ace 250, Lesche Digger, Garrett AT Pro-pointer and a nice pouch for finds/trash. This setup is about $400.00. I highly recommend the pin-pointer, as it speeds up recovery time and allows you to dig smaller holes. The Lesche is way better than any garden trowel you can find and it wont break/bend. You can find the Ace 250 and the Lesche at Barts for the same price as the stand alone detector elsewhere. The other places throw in cheap accessories that you don't need and then call it $250 in extras. Next get yourself a nice pouch for your finds. I use the ToughBuilt Mega tool pouch. Don't skimp on these accessories and you will be able to transfer them to your next detector purchase if you decide to stay with this hobby. You can also swap out the Garrett Ace 250 for a Fisher model or any other model in this price range. I chose the Garrett after a ton of research and finding that it's really beginner friendly while offering features not found on similar detectors in this price range. Good luck and whatever you choose. You are in a great Historical location and will enjoy many fantastic finds.
-Dr. Witty

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet, Hombre.

Since your handle has "hombre" in it, I'll recommend the Tesoro Compadre. Cheap, but very rugged and dependable. A very good machine for short money, and if you intend to do some coin shooting, its all you will ever need. Let your finds add up over the summer and get yourself a nicer rig by Fall. By then, you will have a season under yoru belt, and you'll know what you want for sure by then.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!
Kevin
What ever detector you buy I would stick white's They have been around for many years. But it would be good if you can come up with more $$$ for a better detector, Or even look for a good deal on a used one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread