Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A city that I often detect in has the highest murder rate per capita in Canada. It also has the highest urban Indian numbers from the province with the largest native population. There are real and historic reasons for the misery such as their socio economic status, which is generally linked directly to issues such as substance abuse and crime. I realize all of this. But twice last year within a month I was a little too close to a couple of individuals that were literally screaming (in broad day light) as they walked down inner city sidewalks, which was frightening. One individual was running down the road and challenging vehicles. I still check those rough areas now and then, but I am extra vigilant about my situational awareness (watching my back), and I often have one headphone cup pulled off. I tend to stay out of these rougher areas at the end of the month when people get money for booze and dope. I will NEVER check these areas out after dark. The local news makes it abundantly clear to me why I shouldn't.

Oh sure, P.A. had to steal the limelight from us! My great aunt sold her farm and moved into P.A. I pity the fool who messes with that 89 year-old hellcat!
Well, Canadians would still be scared to step foot in Winnipeg even though we're not the murder capital anymore.
Been all over this city my whole life and never had one problem. They probably find me unsavory like BigWaveDave. :laughing7:
I would carry a gun while traveling in northern Manitoba. Take all those bad criminals and compare them to a polar bear! Ha ha!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
problem is , when it is apparent your life is threatened by a guy with a gun on you, it is too late for yours. Also if they have the jump on you, or sometimes determining in a crowd ,which guy with the gun is the bad guy. lots of thing to realize, if you miss and hit a innocent, and lawsuits. I can CCW but it seems more problem than solution most of the time. Life is just not that simple

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I want to be alive to argue the point at the end of the day.............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the UK is supposed to be just as violent as the Us these days, but never heard of anyone being attacked whilst out detecting. I hunt in busy places and way out places, never felt threatened once....mind you my sling shot is in view at all times.:laughing7:

SS

I have a friend who was metal detecting Daytona Beach at night that was attacked by two men, he manage to fight them off using his scoop but received concussion and ended up in hospital.

Another member here was robbed at knife point in Miami and his wallet, keys, detector and scoop were stolen.

True but the stats are going the other way it's just the matter of time.

[h=3]Motor vehicle traffic deaths[/h]
  • Number of deaths: 33,804
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.7
[h=3]All firearm deaths[/h]
  • Number of deaths: 33,636
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.6

Your gun stats include deaths by suicide, deaths of criminals by citizens during commission of crimes as well as deaths of criminals by police while resisting arrest and shooting at police. These deaths total approximately half of those you listed...

Firearm homicides 2011

Number of deaths: 11,208
Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.5

First what about the times when the criminals don't have a gun, just knives or blunt objects

problem is , when it is apparent your life is threatened by a guy with a gun on you, it is too late for yours. Also if they have the jump on you, or sometimes determining in a crowd ,which guy with the gun is the bad guy. lots of thing to realize, if you miss and hit a innocent, and lawsuits. I can CCW but it seems more problem than solution most of the time. Life is just not that simple

People have the right to be unarmed if they wish, BUT every citizen also has the RIGHT to be armed if they so wish to defend their life and their love ones.

FBI stats show why that is a viable choice.. Citizens successfully use firearms ever day to defend theirs selves and their property from armed criminals and thugs...

FBI Crime Stats Report 2011

Information collected regarding type of weapon showed that firearms were used in 67.7 percent of the nation’s murders, 41.3 percent of robberies, and 21.2 percent of aggravated assaults. (Weapons data are not collected for forcible rape.) (See Expanded Homicide Data Table 7, Robbery Table 3, and the Aggravated Assault Table.)

This means 33% of murders committed were with weapons other than firearm, 59% of robberies used weapon other than firearm, 79% of assaults used weapon other than firearm.

Criminologist Gary Kleck estimates that 2.5 million Americans use guns to defend themselves each year. Out of that number, 400,000 believe that but for their firearms, they would have been dead.

Professor Emeritus James Q. Wilson, the UCLA public policy expert, says: "We know from Census Bureau surveys that something beyond 100,000 uses of guns for self-defense occur every year. We know from smaller surveys of a commercial nature that the number may be as high as 2 1/2 or 3 million. We don't know what the right number is, but whatever the right number is, it's not a trivial number."

To say a firearm can't protect you is ludicrous!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes hunt in grizzly habitat. Anyone know how to sweet talk one of those guys? If not I'll carry my pistol.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
True but the stats are going the other way it's just the matter of time.

[h=3]Motor vehicle traffic deaths[/h]
  • Number of deaths: 33,804
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.7
[h=3]All firearm deaths[/h]
  • Number of deaths: 33,636
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.6

For sake of the threads subject:
What number of shooting deaths were detecting related; and how many were legally justified vs how many were determined illegal by either party?
Weapons are simply tools, regardless of type, some use when faced with legitimate deadly force/threat to life, however common or uncommon when detecting.
Humans are only part of the possible threats that may cause discomfort.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone knows the old saying...."I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.":thumbsup:

shovelready

Apr 21, 2015
s.w.washington
Detector(s) used
tesoro outlaw vaquero, anfibio multi, Makro pulse dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pack wherever I go . not just detecting, never with the intent of bothering anyone. the problem with the whole peace and love types is reality, there to many out there that want to rape and pillage it. just being a boy scout.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who was metal detecting Daytona Beach at night that was attacked by two men, he manage to fight them off using his scoop but received concussion and ended up in hospital.

Another member here was robbed at knife point in Miami and his wallet, keys, detector and scoop were stolen.

Your gun stats include deaths by suicide, deaths of criminals by citizens during commission of crimes as well as deaths of criminals by police while resisting arrest and shooting at police. These deaths total approximately half of those you listed...

Firearm homicides 2011

First what about the times when the criminals don't have a gun, just knives or blunt objects

People have the right to be unarmed if they wish, BUT every citizen also has the RIGHT to be armed if they so wish to defend their life and their love ones.

FBI stats show why that is a viable choice.. Citizens successfully use firearms ever day to defend theirs selves and their property from armed criminals and thugs...

Information collected regarding type of weapon showed that firearms were used in 67.7 percent of the nation’s murders, 41.3 percent of robberies, and 21.2 percent of aggravated assaults. (Weapons data are not collected for forcible rape.) (See Expanded Homicide Data Table 7, Robbery Table 3, and the Aggravated Assault Table.)

This means 33% of murders committed were with weapons other than firearm, 59% of robberies used weapon other than firearm, 79% of assaults used weapon other than firearm.

Criminologist Gary Kleck estimates that 2.5 million Americans use guns to defend themselves each year. Out of that number, 400,000 believe that but for their firearms, they would have been dead.

Professor Emeritus James Q. Wilson, the UCLA public policy expert, says: "We know from Census Bureau surveys that something beyond 100,000 uses of guns for self-defense occur every year. We know from smaller surveys of a commercial nature that the number may be as high as 2 1/2 or 3 million. We don't know what the right number is, but whatever the right number is, it's not a trivial number."

I take it both your friends are still alive, I wonder if they had drawn a gun, and the attackers the same, would the outcome be the same. I suppose there are a lot of good and bad angles to look at, regarding carrying a gun.

If it were allowed in the UK to keep a gun in the house and use if threatened, then yes I would own one, but taking it outside when detecting then no I wouldn't be, The chances for getting attacked doing that must be very slim. But sorry to hear about your friends I hope they made a full recovery, seems there were both a bit unlucky.

SS

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I generally always feel safe, its a Zen thing and enough common sense to stay away from dangerous areas and situations.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a personal choice thing like what detecting equipment we use, where we detect, and our ability levels.

There are some places I won't detect alone here, and there are places I feel perfectly fine being alone in, but where ever I am I try to stay aware of my surroundings and proximity of people in the area, and how far my truck is. Most areas I search are wide, open grass areas.

I have a greater chance of being hit by a stray bullet from gangs shooting at each other than I do of being personally attacked. With that in mind I don't yet feel the need to carry a concealed weapon, but if at some point that changes I will.

As it stands now I am armed with standard digging "tools" , a detector, and an F150 4X4 that I will use if I have to.
I would mention cell phone but just watching me try to use it would make people laugh themselves silly. :icon_scratch::sadsmiley::laughing7:

We each have to make our own choices accordingly.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry my 9 mm. when I'm in the woods and rarely in a park. It's my right to protect myself if I have too, but it is best to move on if you notice trouble. machine-gun.gif

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I carry my 9 mm. when I'm in the woods and rarely in a park. It's my right to protect myself if I have too, but it is best to move on if you notice trouble. View attachment 1163552

This is typically the stance most ccw'ers take. The ccw is a last resort when your backed into a corner and there's 2 options left: shoot the attacker or die. Without one the single option doesnt sound so great...It's not something used to intimidate others with.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone knows the old saying...."I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.":thumbsup:

Words to live by in these dangerous times. A couple more of my favorites, "Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt, "Any weapon is better than no weapon at all" Don Paul.

Too many people out there willing to commit violence, robbery or murder in order to further their lazy lifestyles or drug addictions. I am armed every time I detect but not always with a firearm. I try to stay aware of my surroundings and watch who is approaching me at all times. Body language will tell you a lot about someones motives. Pay attention and listen to your instincts to avoid being just another victim of society.

This worked well for me the other day. I was in a park on an early morning hunt. I had just dug up a nice silver chain when a homeless person approached me about finding his "lost cell phone". I have heard this story too many times and was suspicious. I stayed calm, told him I'd look out for it an moved on making sure to look around my surroundings, noticing a park employee in the distance and making sure I had a means of escape in case things went bad. I have always tried to remember to have a plan B, don't be afraid to yell or even run away if I am in a potentially dangerous position.

Never found a phone but twice caught this guy sneaking up on me from behind. When he was a a dozen or so feet away I would turn, look him in the eye (while holding onto my sharpened digger) and calmly state "No phone yet" after a while he went away, apparently looking for easier prey.

Be aware or be a victim, your choice.....

Last edited:

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
I guess it's all about how you deal with the world. I prefer to be a peaceful person who just wants to be left alone. I have no desire to be hostile towards society. I apologize if that clashes with the aggressive types here.
You make the mistake of equating carrying a weapon for self protection with aggressive behavior. Self defense is NOT aggressive. I too am a peaceful person who just want's to be left alone and my concealed firearm ensures that. If the threat of death or grave bodily injury to me or my loved ones is eminent, than I have a right and the means to prevent it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Firearm homicides 2011

Dead is dead doesn't really matter how they've scewed the numbers. Its a debate that's over a hundred years of which one know kills more.
I guess if we take one out of the equation which one can you live without the automobile or the gun?

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dead is dead doesn't really matter how they've scewed the numbers. Its a debate that's over a hundred years of which one know kills more.
I guess if we take one out of the equation which one can you live without the automobile or the gun?

It matters completely when someone is trying to vilify firearm ownership using that statistic to skew the facts. Your question is a moot point as well since we all live in the real world and neither will be taken away any time soon. Legally owning a firearm is nothing that should be feared or looked down upon. Those of us that do own firearms take the responsibility seriously, they aren't toys, their tools.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doesn't change the fact your stats are wrong...... Your adding apples and oranges....

Well I can't carry a car in my pocket or defend my home and family with a car so which do you think I choose...?

Driving a car is a privilege, my right to defend my property and my life when detecting is a right...

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So there's this map that shows a route a young woman would take to go from point A to point B. Along that route X marks the spot where a rapist is hiding and waiting unbeknownst to her. Now, you have three items of which you would have to choose only one of for her. A-cell phone B-condom C-gun. Think fast, don't make excuses or what ifs. Just answer the question. I know my daughter will be very highly trained in firearms handling. I'll deal with the BS when the smoke clears.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there's this map that shows a route a young woman would take to go from point A to point B. Along that route X marks the spot where a rapist is hiding and waiting unbeknownst to her. Now, you have three items of which you would have to choose only one of for her. A-cell phone B-condom C-gun. Think fast, don't make excuses or what ifs. Just answer the question. I know my daughter will be very highly trained in firearms handling. I'll deal with the BS when the smoke clears.

C-gun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread