First thoughts on my new Ace 250

brewer65

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2015
Tobaccoville,NC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, so I received my Ace 250 last Friday, and couldn't wait to play. So, I went out in the side yard and started to detect. I had some hits, but when I started to dig, damn the ground was too hard, even with a shovel. So, I gave up that day, thinking I need to find softer dirt. So today I decided to scan the ground where my garden used to be, only because I knew it would be softer digging. Well, I found my first nail, about 4 inches down. Even though it was only a nail, I felt that rush that I assume everyone has felt. Also, I discovered I need a pro-pointer, and a digger. So, I have them on order, damn this credit card. I have a lot to learn, but I'm ready for the journey. There's a river about 10 min from my house that I want to explore, so I also ordered a sand scoop. Let the hunting begin.
Phil

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Know just how you feel, I decided to get a Sand Shark, as my Stingray is getting a bit old now, (not the corvette) Then I decided I needed a decent sand scoop, and I have to have a decent digger, so the Iron Clad Viking was ordered. Now, just gotta get out and do some detecting!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new detector, this is a hobby for some and for others and obsession. GL & HH.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I can tell you much and vastly speed up you education on the ace 250 ---my name is ivan --

Last edited:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Ace 250, (but am already pining for the AT Pro). Try using it in Jewelry mode. I dig all solid hits including pull tabs since gold can hide there. Good luck and welcome.

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Congrats on the new ACE 250!! I have been using the ACE 350 on and off for a few years and have been very happy with it and I just upgraded to the AT Pro should have it this Friday and cant wait to check it out! Good luck on your next hunt!!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and congrats on your ACE!
You have made a terrible decision though.
Unless you are willing to have a life of fun, rewarding experiences, and an occasional great find, return your detector immediately! ;)
GL
Peace ✌

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too started on the 250, great machine, I made the same mistake, starting without a pinpointer, it is a must have. Best advice I can give you is hunt in jewelry mode, only discriminating the iron, unless you are looking for relics. If the signal is jumpy, it is probably trash, oh... Dig all pull tabs, they may be a gold ring

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And set your sensitivity two notches below the max, otherwise you get too many false signals. You may want to try hunting a tot lot, the mulch under the swings usually has a lot of clad and will help you figure out how to use your machine.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the new ACE 250!! I have been using the ACE 350 on and off for a few years and have been very happy with it and I just upgraded to the AT Pro should have it this Friday and cant wait to check it out! Good luck on your next hunt!!

Congratulations on the AT Pro purchase!

I use both the AT Pro and AT Gold for relic hunting and have enjoyed every minute.

Good Luck and most of all have fun!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the ACE 250, it is a very capable machine. Enjoy and good luck hunting this year!

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
The 250 was my first too, I JUST upgraded. I learned that if you are looking for coins, listen for solid targets THEN rotate 90 degrees and scan again. If it breaks up, then almost always it isn't a coin. Swing slow, and swing low. should take between 2-3 sec for a full back and forth. I have missed targets my first time around just swinging too fast!

Probably the biggest advice I can give you if you want to find goodies is picking a good location. Knocking on doors does wonders! Most of all, have fun!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on becoming addicted to metal detecting. The Garrett Ace 250 is the best selling entry-level machine on the market today. It earned that the number one spot. Work hard to understand your machine. Experiment when you hit a sweet, clean target, listen to it using different settings before you dig it. Lower and increase your Discrimination levels. Lower your sensitivity to 1/2 power, then move it up a notch at a time until you are getting the cleanest, deepest signal. Raise and lower the coil over the target to see if your depth increases or diminishes. Use a coil cover! Doesn't hurt, could help, and keeps the coil pristine for resale.

Huge gold to you!

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 250 its just the fugly color that turns me off

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the 250 its just the fugly color that turns me off

I also hated the yellow color so I swapped the arm cuff with and AT series one and bought the Ace cover for the control box. Now my 250 is 95% black, looks 100% better and it only cost me around $25 to do this. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions