Best spots?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
assuming you mean a gold ring (versus a silver ring), then I would not bank on "schools and parks" to angle for gold jewelry. Sure there's *eventually* going to be a gold ring turned up in those environs. But the ratio of aluminum you'd need to dig, would be too prohibitive, in my book. Unless you're talking very upscale parks and schools, that a) don't have eating/picnicking going on (d/t foil, tabs, cans, etc...), and are b) heavy in athletics (like soccer field in very upscale area).

But for regular parks (with eating, BBQ'ing, etc...) and regular junky turf, you'll end up having to farm out a bunch of aluminum in your quest for gold.

So don't you have any lake swimming beaches near year, even if you're not near the ocean ? If not, sand volley-ball courts and sand boxes at parks are spots where gold rings are in better ratios (and easier digging, doh!). Also grass near swimming pools where persons lay out for sun-tanning next to swim pools. Because they often lather up with slippery suntan lotion, and (humorously) take their rings/watches off for "safekeeping" before going in for a swim (and hide in their shoe, etc...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BennyBacon

May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The school park? Where there is sand or the grassy part?

OP
OP
B

BennyBacon

May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom we do have a few outdoor pools I could try but we don't have any sand courts. Thanks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I mis-typed "lake" as "lack". Doh (corrected now).

Don't you have any lakes or creeks with swim holes ? The adjacent beaches (or preferably even IN the water) is good for rings.

Even consider sandboxes. Mothers pushing their kids down slides, and on swings, can loose jewelry.

If you absolutely must do turf (simply have utterly no athletic/swim sand or swim turf near you), then choose athletic fields. Like football and soccer fields. Preferably upscale (versus blighted) areas. And hopefully no picnicking/eating shares usage of those fields. Because if they do (like if they're a cross-over park usage as well), then you will have an immediate upswing in aluminum junk. Because go-figure: any drinking is going to introduce tabs and can slaw. Anyone eating (especially if BBQ pits are nearby!) is going to introduce foil that wrapped up their foods. If you get into such prohibitive junky turf, then you're better off going for the copper & silver (ie.: old coins) IMHO.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You also might want to check around any frisbee golf courses. Not around the hole stands, but far to the right and left of the Tee spots. Loose rings often go flying into the brush at these sites.

OP
OP
B

BennyBacon

May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the help I will have to get out soon!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Another good place for jewelry is around ski-lifts for snow-ski areas. Are you near snow country and ski-ing ? Those skiers taking their gloves off at the lift lines, and coming in and out of the lodges, is the perfect recipe for rings getting tugged off of their fingers.

If you have a popular older ski resort, then no doubt the lift line and obvious places have been hunted out. Hence you're probably not going to find older silver perhaps. But if you are the first one there in the spring thaw/melt, you can get each season's new drops.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always thought horseshoe pits would be a good place to hunt....

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you hit ball fields, foot, soccer, baseball, look where the spectators may sit along the sidelines and under/near bleachers.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You also might want to check around any frisbee golf courses. Not around the hole stands, but far to the right and left of the Tee spots. Loose rings often go flying into the brush at these sites.

Hey now! Good tip! :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... and under/near bleachers.

I would think that under bleachers would be the worst place to angle for jewelry . Not because it couldn't end up there , but because the soda drinking spectators are going to be raining down foil and tabs .

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you hit ball fields, foot, soccer, baseball, look where the spectators may sit along the sidelines and under/near bleachers.

I would think that under bleachers would be the worst place to angle for jewelry . Not because it couldn't end up there , but because the soda drinking spectators are going to be raining down foil and tabs .

Ever try it Tom? I'm not sure what word would describe it correctly.:)

OP
OP
B

BennyBacon

May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree under bleachers wouldn't work so well but thanks for the idea. Plus there is a metal bar that goes underneath I think.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ever try it Tom?....

Yup. I've hunted underneath scores of bleachers and bleacher tear-outs.

Can someone find gold jewelry under there? SURE. That's not the question. The question is: what would their ratio of gold-per-aluminum be ? Doh!

There was a rodeo grandstands demolition that got torn out out in my town in the 1990s (dated to the teens/20s). We got hundreds of old coins and clad from the demolition process, and only had a few days before it was all-to-be-filled in with fill-dirt. And if a person had "tried to be a hero" and "dig all", he'd have been one-sorry-person indeed.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of where the snow gets piled high by the plows in the winter sometimes this will even be a grassed or dirt area (back of the
parking lot of ski areas for example - as was previously mentioned anywhere where gloves get pulled off in the winter !)

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree under bleachers wouldn't work so well but thanks for the idea. Plus there is a metal bar that goes underneath I think.

I agree, all you are going to find is the bleachers. Lots of people just drop trash down the bleachers on purpose too...

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disc golf courses, volleyball courts, inland beaches, horseshoe pits, baseball fields, football fields, soccer fields, etc., can and will be located in parks that may require Permits. Check first!
ALWAYS, stay out of infields. Sidelines yield much more jewelry, with no damage to fields.
Bleachers ARE a great spot, although obviously trashy. Here, bleachers are moved in Fall. That's when I hit 'em.
Good ratio = time detecting.
GL
Peace ✌

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hello BennyBacon,

I have found many good finds (jewelry, wallets, phones, keys and coins) under bleachers, you have to use a pin pointer instead of a detector.

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread