Need help returning a 100+ year old baggage tag to family.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know where to post this so I am here. Found on my last hunt what appears to be and old baggage tag. Has name and town of fellow who lost it and no doubt is late 1800's. Question is should I attempt to track down the relatives and best way to go about this? Modern class ring I'd would imagine a little easier. I know it's only a baggage tag but I feel it's only right to at least make an attempt. I have a few leads on how to start but that's about it. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know someone with a ancestry.com account they can search census records for that town and name, then trace the tree but can take a LOT of time. I suppose if it is a small town, you can try the public records department.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNet's members are always happy to help another member with finds like this. We need more info...where found, names?

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg I did goggle what is written on tag a found a Fred Gatstel living in Hammond during late 1800 but nothing about him being a Jr. Seems to me the jr. would be important to someone for them to put it on a name tag. I came across a Fred Gastel jr living in area in 1906 but he was only 4 at the time. That's another thing 97 percent of the finds at this site stop at 1906. Reason I say that is I have dug about 75 coins from site and all but 3 were pre 1906. So I would say it's safe to say this was lost pre 1907. Even then this could of been made 25 years earlier. Just to be more clear about how I dated the use of site. Majority of coins found are dated 1890- 1906, there were a few 1880s and I think one or two 70's.like I said found 1917 and a few 1960s but I think they were just random drops and had nothing to do with what was going on at site durning turn of century. Don't know if this will help any with finding the tag a home but I have posted all decent finds from this site over the past year in the today's finds fourm. No doubt was a picnic/ camp ground and Mr. Gatstel probably was out camping or picnicking and lost it. So I guess what I am trying to say here is the site I found this at looks to have been in use around the turn of the 19th century. Knowing that I figure Mr Gatstel was living in Hammond around that time. Sorry if I'm rambling, thanks for any help.

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 3 or 4 or more generations, there may be quite a number of relatives, and with different last names. Good Luck

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 3 or 4 or more generations, there may be quite a number of relatives, and with different last names. Good Luck

Yeah that's were I hit a brick wall. I have good guess the owner has to be one of the 3 or so people I have found but that's it. :dontknow: Guess I wait and see what others suggest.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been thinking about this and personally I have returned pet/ dog tags to owners a few times in the past. Found a store token once from early 1900s and was able to track down relatives easy, family was still local to area. This one I am stumped. I am sure that I could figure a list of potential relatives but what is proper way to go about this? Now if the tag said something like " bob smith. Chicago Il " ok good luck right,,, but could not of been many people with this name living in Hammond ind. at this time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to agree with airscapes and River Rat above.

I'm pretty confident we have some members who
use ancestry.com. and that are very helpful here.
hopefully one of them see your post and can trace him forward for you.

I'll do a little research via Google etc. but , It's a long shot at best.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred Gastel jr was a Lake County Notary Indiana Harbor. Commission Expired Nov 19, 1911

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to agree with airscapes and River Rat above.

I'm pretty confident we have some members who
use ancestry.com. and that are very helpful here.
hopefully one of them see your post and can trace him forward for you.

I'll do a little research via Google etc. but , It's a long shot at best.

Thanks Jeff, tell you what I'm on a mission with this. Yes any members that could possible help out would probably make me just as happy as the relatives. I also would like to say on the scale of 1-10 of friends helping each other out, to me with this is up there. Thanks Tnet. Little donation will be in order.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region"

Mentions a Fred Gastel jr

A standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet ...

www.csu.edu/.../AstandardhistoryofLakeCounty...

Chicago State University

Hammond, East Chicago, Indiana Harbor, Whiting ... as Frank F. Heighway, Crown Point, county superintendent of schools ...... Farovid, J. R., 666 .... Gastel. Fred, Jr., 667. Gavit, Frank N., 239,610. Gavit, John A.. 576. General View at Ambridge ...

Opening Very Very Slow for me :( 526 pages at 10 seconds per page :(

perhaps someone with a faster system ?

http://www.csu.edu/cerc/researchrep...storyofLakeCountyIndianaCalumetregion1915.pdf

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred Gastel jr was a Lake County Notary Indiana Harbor Commission Expired Nov 19, 1911[/QUOTE.

I dont don't know were you got that but my basic goggle search pulled up a Fred GASTEL jr living in Cicero il. age 6 in 1911. Can you pm me a link Jeff?,,,, Never mind, you bet me to it with the above post.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't know where to post this so I am here. Found on my last hunt what appears to be and old baggage tag. Has name and town of fellow who lost it and no doubt is late 1800's. Question is should I attempt to track down the relatives and best way to go about this? Modern class ring I'd would imagine a little easier. I know it's only a baggage tag but I feel it's only right to at least make an attempt. I have a few leads on how to start but that's about it. Any thoughts?
thats a great idea

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not able to view your link Jeff. Anyway, I see what your saying, I wonder if it's not a political hand out of the guys actual tag. The plot thickens........

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we came up with same search...no ofence but Indina harbor and Hammond are very rough areas. Steel Mill capital of the U.S. during 1900.

Lt13501

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2015
Dagsboro, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE350 and hand held Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys I have an ancestry account and I did a little research. I have found Mr. Frederick Gastel Born in 1853 in Germany and settled in Hammond Indiana. His death was in 1917. He had several children one of which was named August Frederick Gastel. It appears Frederick Gastel born 1853 is sometimes referred to as Sr. August Frederick was Born in 1883 lived in the hammond area but sometime between 1906 and 1917 moved to Belleve PA he Died in 1948. This is more than likely your guy. There are a few trees with this family line on them so if you would like I can message them and see where it goes from there. Up to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread