Need help returning a 100+ year old baggage tag to family.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! Jeff I'm stunned that the editors of that obit. would have published not only the word suicide (back then ) but
to detail it as "Cut Throat " that is mind blowing - unbelievable !!!

Yep they used to sensationalize everything :laughing7:
I always wonder how you cut your own throat on Purpose though :icon_scratch:
isn't that like stabbing yourself in the back 12 times :dontknow:

Last edited:

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow ! Jeff I'm stunned that the editors of that obit. would have published not only the word suicide (back then ) but

I don't think many people slit there own throat. Back then there were many drugs and poisons available to kill one self with. I think he was murdered for his money but suicide was the officail listing because someone was paid off

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys I have an ancestry account and I did a little research. I have found Mr. Frederick Gastel Born in 1853 in Germany and settled in Hammond Indiana. His death was in 1917. He had several children one of which was named August Frederick Gastel. It appears Frederick Gastel born 1853 is sometimes referred to as Sr. August Frederick was Born in 1883 lived in the hammond area but sometime between 1906 and 1917 moved to Belleve PA he Died in 1948. This is more than likely your guy. There are a few trees with this family line on them so if you would like I can message them and see where it goes from there. Up to you.

Wow. That is uber cool. Lt1.. Thank you. Pm me info.

I agree, That's what young punks did in late 1890's. Witch would put A.F Gastel a teenage years in 1900.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys I have an ancestry account and I did a little research. I have found Mr. Frederick Gastel Born in 1853 in Germany and settled in Hammond Indiana. His death was in 1917. He had several children one of which was named August Frederick Gastel. It appears Frederick Gastel born 1853 is sometimes referred to as Sr. August Frederick was Born in 1883 lived in the hammond area but sometime between 1906 and 1917 moved to Belleve PA he Died in 1948. This is more than likely your guy. There are a few trees with this family line on them so if you would like I can message them and see where it goes from there. Up to you.[/QUOTE

I did not read last sentence. Yes please do so. Family is in pa. I can send it to Jeff in pa. He lives there.

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes Find A Grave can help with names. Some may have obits listing surviving relatives. Find A Grave Search Results This listing is the Gastel names recorded with Find A Grave.

Lt13501

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2015
Dagsboro, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE350 and hand held Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i will see what i can do, sometimes responses are slow with ancestry as people usually jump in and out due to hitting road blocks. ill keep you posted

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i will see what i can do, sometimes responses are slow with ancestry as people usually jump in and out due to hitting road blocks. ill keep you posted

Yes thank you very much! That would be great if some relatives could be found, take your time. If some leads do appear and I receive them via pm I am sure I can handel it from there and will keep everybody up to date with what's going on with tag. I was joking about sending the tag to you in Pa. Jeff, I just thought it was ironic family could be living in your home state Jeff. Again thanks Lt1 and welcome to Tnet.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think many people slit there own throat. Back then there were many drugs and poisons available to kill one self with. I think he was murdered for his money but suicide was the officail listing because someone was paid off

All jokes aside this does seem a little disturbing what Jeff found. Sure I knew Chicago has had a checkered past but for something like that to be printed in the paper. Talk about turning a blind eye, wow.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes they printed things like that back then......I am surprised that you are surprised...

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible the term "cut own throat" was used as a figure of speech when talking about suicide deaths during time. Can't say in my life time have I ever heard of a reported suicide were someone cut there own throat? Well strange and puzzling as it is we should probably tread light talking about a tragic death like this, respect for possible family.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Possible the term "cut own throat" was used as a figure of speech when talking about suicide deaths during time. Can't say in my life time have I ever heard of a reported suicide were someone cut there own throat? Well strange and puzzling as it is we should probably tread light talking about a tragic death like this, respect for possible family.

yes you are correct. There was a time when people used to say, Well Joe, I'm afraid if I do this it will be cutting my own throat so I think I'm gonna pass on this one. I don't think there was ever a time when people said he cut his throat because he committed suicide by hanging himself. They would write he hung himself, he cut his wrists, etc. Anyone know?

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting info for sure, really tough tying to one particular person. Good luck and when you find them it probably will be quite a suprise to them. really cool stuff

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes you are correct. There was a time when people used to say, Well Joe, I'm afraid if I do this it will be cutting my own throat so I think I'm gonna pass on this one. I don't think there was ever a time when people said he cut his throat because he committed suicide by hanging himself. They would write he hung himself, he cut his wrists, etc. Anyone know?

I am sure most know the saying we're someone makes bad choice thus "cutting own throat". Reading some of the links Jeff posted above it sounds like it's not a figure of speach. One was " man beats wife with pitch fork cuts own throat both dying". Yes getting of topic but still interesting stuff.

WMCQ

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2015
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Helix on this. The Day Book wasn't a standard sort of newspaper, but more an accumulation of facts. My great-grandfather kept his own version of the day book and he often noted things liked "John Doe suicide, hanged self." I think this was meant literally.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Helix on this. The Day Book wasn't a standard sort of newspaper, but more an accumulation of facts. My great-grandfather kept his own version of the day book and he often noted things liked "John Doe suicide, hanged self." I think this was meant literally.

nobody committs suicide by cutting their own throat. Cutting ones throat was a figure of speech meaning, not a good idea, or very bad move which will result in dire consequences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread