New machine question

J

Jason O

I have a fisher 1280x that I use in water and on land. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a new detector for dry land. It would be used for searching for coins and relics around old homesites mostly. I would like a turn on and go machine. For under 500 bucks can I find a machine that can do this much better than what I already have? Thanks for any suggestions.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the new Fisher F-4. Looks to be a pretty simple and straightforward unit.

The Tesoro DeLeon is a good choice. The Minelab Musketeer Advantage is a great relic finder and hits coins deep, but likes foil and trash, too (especially aluminum). I have one and, as long as you don't mind digging a bit of junk, it will find treasures. The Minelab X-Terra 30 is a real "close and play" detector that would allow you a good Lesche digger and handheld pinpointer and still keep under your $500 budget.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
I would highly reccomend the tesoro line of detectors. Although a bit more at 559+ the Tejon is a great relic hunter as well as coinhunter. The Vaquero is also a good detector for overall treasure hunting at 420.00. If you need more help with your decision please let me know.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I REALLY like my MXT! A bit more than $500, but well worth it to me. :)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I have heard the mxt is good for both the coins and relics, maybe just a little more than you want to spend....but remember sometimes its worth it to spend just a little more! When I bought my dfx I also was going to spend 100 or 200 less...glad i did'nt! ;)

OP
OP
J

Jason O

Are these machines a big improvement over my 1280X? I'm sure my arm will feel better after a few hours of swinging one of these machines ;D.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
The Tesoro Cortez is around $700, but once you learn it, it shoots coins like a dream.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many detectors that fit the bill better for the land than the 1280. Tony's suggestion of the Tesoro Vaquero is a sound piece of advice. It is new electronics and light weight with good slection of extra coils that you may need. You could spend more, but it wouldn't be that much better for the money.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Another consideration is to buy a used unit. There are many to choose from and a lot of them are in very good condition. Check the various forum classified sections and Ebay.

I purchased a used Whites XLT from Ebay and am very satisfied with both the price and the condition of the unit. It is almost new. Not even a scratch on it. Doubt it had been used more then a few times.

Good Luck on whatever your decision is.

:D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions