Another small personal loss.... But weve all (most) been here!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another small personal loss.... But we've all (most) been here!

Limitool (Brad) here.... Today we had to do what many other folks here on Tnet have done before. I have/had a beloved Boxer dog named Bubba who finally came to his end today. His back right hip and knee would not support him anymore. For the last 4 years we've helped him with drugs and love. Bubba was +11 years old and was a very mild mannered dog. In fact he was the biggest baby you ever saw.... But we've All had dogs like Bubba (big or small)! Bubba lied next to me every night the last 6 months for some reason and he never did before.

Short story about "my" dog Bubba.... My now wife lived about 20 miles from me. Every time she came out to my place Bubba came also. Bubba was abandoned very early in his life. In fact very early... Bubba weighed then about 3-4 lbs. and was coughing up tons of worms among many other health problems. My wife Bonnie took him to the vet and they nursed him back to health. Bubba loved to ride in the car. Bonnie at the time was raising 2 grandchildren also and the next door neighbor "thought" the Wal-Mart found dog would be good for the 2 boys. Bonnie lived in town. Bubba stayed in a 8 x 4 dog pen.

Bubba made it through his first 4-6 months of life barely. He loved coming out to the country and visiting here. Then one day Bonnie, the boys and Bubba were going to go back to town. No Bubba presence could be found. They left. Bubba instantly showed up after they left and said, "I'm moving in Dad". He never left again nor would he "ride" in a car for many years again. Bubba grew to be 110 lbs. and roamed these ridges for many years with me. Miss Bonnie was my ex-wife then and I re-married her again later. So Bubba got his "mom" back and Bubba then ran these ridges with his "dad" for many years to come. Every time I fired up the ATV Bubba would start howling.... right up to last week he howled.

I lost my daughter and grandson this year on Feb. 16, 2015 in Franklin TN. during an ice storm. While I TOTALLY admit losing them was horrible .... to lose this old dog now who loved me to death right up to this day just hits home again.... It's AMAZING how attached we get out inner feelings into our canine buddies. I know we all do it.... Brad

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,

We've lost a few pets over the years and it hurts big time.....just remember the good times you shared together.

Regards + HH

Bill

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really sorry to hear that, Brad. It's always tough to lose a buddy. As you said....most of us dog guys have been through it many times, and it never gets any easier. As I get older, I just look back and think of what a great life I provided for them, and console myself with that.
Jim

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry for your loses both human and canine, it is one of the hardest things in life to endure or get over. Time will heal and your memories will live on to give you a measure of comfort.
I have a 13 year old Red Heeler, Shadow, that is my constant companion and best friend she goes everywhere with me and she sleeps next to me each night, has since puppyhood.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there many times, you gave him a great life. Best medicine for this is to rescue a new dog that needs a home. Not to replace Bubba, but to live a good life like he did. Hard to loose any friend. Dogs have been some of my best.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't care what anyone says, you let a dog into your heart and you'll soon realize he/she is not just a dog. I can't explain it. Like two buddies that have known each other for 40+ plus years. A true companion that will follow you to hell if need be. I've had many hunting dogs in the past, my last one was Rusty, a Brittany spaniel. He was special, so special in fact that when I had to put him down I vowed never to get another one. My wife would call my cell phone and ask if I was close to home as Rusty would start barking and scratching at the door. I was always about a mile away. Sorry for your loss, Mike

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry for your loses both human and canine, it is one of the hardest things in life to endure or get over. Time will heal and your memories will live on to give you a measure of comfort.
I have a 13 year old Red Heeler, Shadow, that is my constant companion and best friend she goes everywhere with me and she sleeps next to me each night, has since puppyhood.

Good for you... Many of us have had or have a dog like yours. I got one now we call "Mamma Dog" left. Black lab mix... just showed up on my deck...? Dropped 13 pups and became one of my BEST BUDDIES EVER!!!!! Bubba was also. This black lab will/does follow me to the bowels of hell. Even deep into a cave.... then howl for help for someone to come back for her (we did).

I know you totally appreciate Shadow being there for you.... That Red Heeler will/is probably the best friend you'll ever have. And without doubt if your old enough you've had another.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad, I remember your loss in the Winter, and now this loss as well. All the best wishes for you my friend.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there many times, you gave him a great life. Best medicine for this is to rescue a new dog that needs a home. Not to replace Bubba, but to live a good life like he did. Hard to loose any friend. Dogs have been some of my best.

Hey Buddy... That's how we got all of our dogs... RESCUING. They show up out here in the middle of nowhere and we feed'em, loving'em and hug'em and then we "own them'em". Ole' Bubba was one of the best ever... SO I SAY! It's just so expensive to take care of 5-10 dogs at a time properly.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't care what anyone says, you let a dog into your heart and you'll soon realize he/she is not just a dog. I can't explain it. Like two buddies that have known each other for 40+ plus years. A true companion that will follow you to hell if need be. I've had many hunting dogs in the past, my last one was Rusty, a Brittany spaniel. He was special, so special in fact that when I had to put him down I vowed never to get another one. My wife would call my cell phone and ask if I was close to home as Rusty would start barking and scratching at the door. I was always about a mile away. Sorry for your loss, Mike

Hey Mike.... I know this isn't like losing a real child... but damn, I swear it's close. I totally know what your talking about buddy... my heart is ripped up again right now. But what's good to hear is that WE are not alone in this deep rooted connection.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry to read of your loss..
I guess its the price we pay for opening our hearts to pets.... no way to avoid it.... its never easy

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So sorry for your losses! Three years ago we lost our 16 year old chocolate lab- Bailey. Didn't think we would get another, but my buddy surprised us with a pup. 6 mos ago we lost our 15 year old yellow lab- Moon. again we said no more. 1 month later the "pup" now grown had her first and last liter, the first one out was a spittin image of Moon the one we'd recently lost- yep one look and we kept her. So despite what we said these two beautiful knuckleheads have managed once again take our hearts and our home hostage. They haven't replaced the loss of Bailey and Moon but they sure are trying their best to ease it and fill the void. Don't be afraid to open up yourself and your home to another as there are plenty that need the care and love that you gave Bubba. Peace friend.

Bear01

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad,

I am sorry to hear the loss of your beloved Bubba, and the loss of your daughter and your grandson. My heart goes out to you and your wife. I send condolences via this online forum. Stay strong, and it will be okay.

Bear01

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sorry for your losses. Nothing compares to losing a child, but that doesn't make losing a friend any easier.

One of the toughest things I ever did was put my 13 year old black lab Nykia to sleep. So hard to know your friend is in pain, I couldn't stand her hurting any more so ...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad and Bonnie... You already know my feelings and as I stated on the phone when me and Brad talked, you both have my heart felt sympathies for the loss of Bubba! If I visit you and Bonnie again as I am sure that I will, I am really going to miss seeing Bubba diligently waiting by the table for someone to offer him something from their' plate of food. I am also going to miss hearing his sad little cry (which was little and somewhat odd for such a big dog) that tore at your' heart when he wanted to go outside and no one was coming to let him out. If I had some beer or bourbon in my' house and could get a glass of either to you and Bonnie, I would offer a toast to a great dog that will be sorely missed not only by you both but by me and everyone that ever met that big old, sad faced dog. However, since I can't get a glass of beer or bourbon to you both, please open a bottle of Coors and make a toast to Bubba for me.

Both of you, please take care and you know that I am only a phone call away if you all ever need anything or just need to talk! Your friend forever...Frank

It's hard to believe that I took this pic of Bubba less than a month ago and now he is gone!
Brad&friends 009.JPG

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear about your loss, and it's something that really tugs the heart strings of many that have gone through the same. There's one thing about having a pet dog and the old term "Man's best friend" and how well it fits as they don't set demands, nor do they judge, they seem to know when one is a hurt'n inside, and just a little love and they give back so much. I've spoke to men shortly after loosing their father and it was a stiff upper lip, and I have spoke to men that have just lost they pet friend and have broke down in tears. So what does that say about how they crawl into our hearts and we get so torn apart about the loss.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feed them and pet them and you have a companion for life. You have to find care for them if you are going on a vacation, you have to put them out to take care of business, you have to feed them. They repay you with a lick...Damn, they work their way into our hearts!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry for your and Bonnie's loss of such a part of your lives. Our thoughts and prayers for you all.
This has not been an easy year for you guys. Hanging in there is bout all you can do.

My daughter's chocolate lab died of cancer early last last year, she was the door greeter, you could not get into that house with out a proper welcome, which required a good petting and some ear scratching. She made sure you never had to pick up dropped food either. Sometimes the food never hit the floor! She was that fast.
They sure do take a part of us with them.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS MY GOD FAMILY THEN YOUR BELOVED PET WHICH IS TRULY AN WOMEN AND A MAN AND HIS FAMILIES BEST FREIND. LIMITTOOL MAY THE GOOD LORD AND PRAYERS COMFORT YOUR GREIVING AND HANG IN THERE BUDDY AND TAKE ONE STEP AT A TIME GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU . AND REMEMBER YOU HAVE ANOTHER FAMILY THATS WATCHING OVER YOU ALSO , AND PRAYING ITS US TNET MEMBERS.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread