Curious to know why so few women enjoy metal detecting ?....

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband and I both started out detecting about 10yrs ago but he lost interest in it after a few months - I've just kept going. I love it although I do look pretty bad after spending a couple of hours out in 90 degree weather, face beet red and sweat dripping of my face!

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not allowed to use 'weigh' and 'ladies' in the same sentence, paragraph or thought.

I think this is very funny - As "the Bard " is reputed to have said , "many a truth is spoken in jest "

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to the 2 (i think ) Ladies who have responded thus far - I really want to understand this ! C'mon Y'all !!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... Feminists would blame the disparity on "oppression" via "The Patriarchy" and socially-enforced artificial gender roles ....

Plumbata, you are cruising for a bruising. Since you know the femimist's talking points so well, you would also know that they don't consider women any different from men, aside from the indoor vs outdoor plumbing. Any job (or hobby, etc...) that's been historically male dominated, is strictly d/t oppression, conditioning, etc.... Not d/t innate differences. So recant of your sexist archie-bunker-ism right now ! :laughing7:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plumbata, you are cruising for a bruising. Since you know the femimist's talking points so well, you would also know that they don't consider women any different from men, aside from the indoor vs outdoor plumbing. Any job (or hobby, etc...) that's been historically male dominated, is strictly d/t oppression, conditioning, etc.... Not d/t innate differences. So recant of your sexist archie-bunker-ism right now ! :laughing7:

Don't get me started man, I've already made plenty of enemies among my 20-30 year old peer group. Like many my age I was brainwashed by the education system, until taking a "Women in Prehistory" and "African-American Literature" class the same semester, where the overwhelming abundance of outright lies, insidious revisionism and wanton anti-intellectualism blew the cognitive-dissonance to smithereens and I managed to screw my head on straight (and PO the teachers, hah).

It should suffice to say that I'm a staunch enemy of Marxism (cultural and economic), revisionism, deconstruction of the West, attacks on traditions and culture, pseudo-intellectualism, identity and victimhood politics, etc. In an era where reality and truth is subverted because feelings are valued more highly than facts and people are more likely to bend over than stand up for what's right, I won't win many friends. Not that I'd want those mush-brained ideological zealots near me anyway though! :laughing7:

Thankfully the folk here in Wyoming seem pretty sane, for now anyway...

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK , This proves the premise of my question in this post - We have almost no women responding , it has become a back and forth
between guys - I really was hoping that at least the women who post here regularly ,and a number of the wives of all of the rest
of us -would enlighten me on this topic . Should I re-title the post something like - " Ladies I welcome your input as to why the
vast majority of you have little to know interest in metal detecting" ? I refuse to give up on this - I'm really interested in the
answers .

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What would you do if Mr./Mrs. Jenner wrote in on this thread?

That would sure skew the results...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing you we are wondering what we are about to let our selves in for, but then I'm fearless. lol!
Possibly because metal detecting requires a certain amount of self confidence on many levels.
You guys can fart and scratch yourselves in public and people think nothing of it, let Miss America try that, and see what happens. We are judged by different standards.

I for one, don't give a flying leap what people think of me. I just try to do the best I can, if that's not good enough, too bad, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Some of the other ladies may have more insight on the subject.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you do if Mr./Mrs. Jenner wrote in on this thread?

You can climb the highest mountain and declare to the world that you're a unicorn, but it doesn't make it so. One's chromosomes are about as far as one needs to look, and XY will always correspond to the male sex.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Err Jenner... blah.
One word...

Ehhhh on second thought... I better not :)

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I am an oldie. But, I would go every day if I could. Now, I do think there are some things harder for us ladies. Like, Where do you go to the potty, when you have to go? I have an old bladder, sooo. Never go that I don't have a problem with that. And, most times I have to go alone. I am always aware that I am alone, old with grey hair, and only barely 5' tall. Have had a couple of times I have been not comfortable and left. Also the extreme cold and heat are not for me anymore. I remember riding my poor horse when it was so hot I could smell the creosote from the telephone poles. And dressing like an Eskimo in the winter. Nothing stopped me then. But, I am getting away from the subject. Most of these things are because, I ain't what I used to be. The younger women, I don't know of any good reason they would not like it. But, I do know that I have asked lots of friends and family if they would like to go with me( I have an extra machine). And none of them are interested. Guess you have to have the right personality for it.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK , This proves the premise of my question in this post - We have almost no women responding , it has become a back and forth
between guys - I really was hoping that at least the women who post here regularly ,and a number of the wives of all of the rest
of us -would enlighten me on this topic . Should I re-title the post something like - " Ladies I welcome your input as to why the
vast majority of you have little to know interest in metal detecting" ? I refuse to give up on this - I'm really interested in the
answers .

It is likely that you'll only get answers from ladies that do detect...........because they are the ones on this site...........
You may have to resort to "the man on the street" type interviews to get an accurate sampling.................

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... I won't win many friends....

I'm close to Santa Cruz, CA. One of the hotbeds of feminism, new age, liberalism, etc... And you're right: You would not win friends there. You would be tarred and feathered. White conservative males are the scum of the earth, and the cause of all problems. There is no difference between men and women except the plumbing. Any differences are only because of historical subjugation, social conditioning, discrimination, sexism, etc... So you better stay in Wyoming so you can keep your skin! :)

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried hanging around the guys when I see them out detecting but they just get to bellyaching and gossiping about this and that and never get to the business at hand. You guys are always talking about how much women yack but y'all are way worse!

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon , Can we please refrain from discourse about feminism and sexism here ? - I began this post with the intent of trying to get
some understanding of the question in the title . Ladies I'm looking for your input here - ( guys not so much !)

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me started man, I've already made plenty of enemies among my 20-30 year old peer group. Like many my age I was brainwashed by the education system, until taking a "Women in Prehistory" and "African-American Literature" class the same semester, where the overwhelming abundance of outright lies, insidious revisionism and wanton anti-intellectualism blew the cognitive-dissonance to smithereens and I managed to screw my head on straight (and PO the teachers, hah).

It should suffice to say that I'm a staunch enemy of Marxism (cultural and economic), revisionism, deconstruction of the West, attacks on traditions and culture, pseudo-intellectualism, identity and victimhood politics, etc. In an era where reality and truth is subverted because feelings are valued more highly than facts and people are more likely to bend over than stand up for what's right, I won't win many friends. Not that I'd want those mush-brained ideological zealots near me anyway though! :laughing7:

Thankfully the folk here in Wyoming seem pretty sane, for now anyway...

Wyoming it says Il, and ohio........

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dokc , I get that you don't want to hang around guys who are gossiping , yakking , griping , etc. - this has zero to do with what I
am asking about - I don't care who you are hanging around that is dis agreeable - What I'm asking about is why women largely
could not care less about metal detecting ? Thank You for at least responding !

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is likely that you'll only get answers from ladies that do detect...........because they are the ones on this site...........
You may have to resort to "the man on the street" type interviews to get an accurate sampling.................

Maybe that was his intent all along, he just wanted someone else to suggest it.

Grab you tally taking modus operandi and hit the street corners! Your going to be querying all the hot looking women if they metal detect or not and why. Remember, at lest come back with some pertinent info, other than just names and phone numbers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions