Curious to know why so few women enjoy metal detecting ?....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maurissa

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2015
Peace Country, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Very first: Discovery 1100 Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a response upthread to the post with the wife that is an excellent treasure hunter/coin collector.
I didnt reply properly and dont know how to fix that without possibly deleting all my ardous ipad hunt and peck typing:

That makes me so sad about your wife's coin collection. That was a terrible betrayal. And sad it kinda just killed some coin collecting passion. I collected just old pennies and such, but i think for me it was a friend when i was a teen...she gave me a look like i was a leper or something. After that i put everything away and concentrated on make up and boys. But metal detecting has always been a secret passion of mine ever since i saw a man in the park with one. I followed him with a stick, sweeping it back and forth copying him...and when he stopped to dig something up, i held my breath and my heart stopped. What a thrill...even though he found a nail and a penny, i was hooked. Several years later, my dad got one but we werent allowed to use it. He would take it prospecting alone. Well finally, at 38, I got my own metal detector! I am so excited...I am taking my sons to a meteorite site out in a remote area a couple hours from our home tomorrow. Please get her to read this...and if she wants to pm me, i would be so grateful! There is nobody i know of here (male or female) as this as a pastime. I have a cousin in Georgia i plan on visiting next summer, so who knows, maybe i'll bring my detector and maybe she'll (your wife, not my cousin)let me tag along?? Now im sounding plain old desperate! Haha! Well apparently we are a rare breed so its worth a try at least? All the best, Maurissa

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
smart nerdy women should seek out detectorist ... since detectorist like "old things" ..the older they get the more we are into them... plus we like woman that share our "nerdy" interest ... detectorist tend to be brainy , nerdy white men .. men that as boys were often shunned by gals as "geeks and nerds " -- ie smart but dorky shy types -- gals these men often grow up to be very devoted boyfriends and / or husbands ..like all men , we like sex but many of us due to having "dorky" hobbies and nerdy mind set . often do not get a lot of attention from "trendy" gals ..so we have a "lot of love" to give to that "special gal"... and since women tend to outlive men , and metal detecting is known as a old man's hobby ...,guess where is a great "target rich" spot for a lonely old lady to find a smart old man at -- that's right the local metal detecting club...

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...,guess where is a great "target rich" spot for a lonely old lady to find a smart old man at -- that's right the local metal detecting club...

Are you suggesting that any Gold diggers should go to a local metal detecting club?:laughing7:

OOOhhh Never mind! Poor attempt at a joke that could be read a couple of ways!:laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My granddaughters loved to hunt with grandpa, they were every bit as excited as the grandsons when a target was being dug, but when they got older and discovered boys that ended. Perhaps if the boy friends were into detecting they would have continued, but the boys were into macho trucks and motocross, and life gets in the way.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My fiancee is obsessed with metal detecting after she tried with me a couple years back and has a coin collection of her own. A couple of her girlfriends are interested in metal detecting as well. So in my world its a pretty even liked hobby..

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many women are coin collectors. I think that's the key. The vast majority of diggers are looking for old coins. Just my opinion on the subject...

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , I noticed that too Tim - I did raise that question indirectly in my post .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
women got a easier way to find jewelry than metal detecting ---- its called boyfriends and husbands -sometimes both at the same time...

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guess I'm lucky,
my first 10 years of detecting my wife was supportive and would literally tell me to go.When my dayghter was about 5,my wife would tell us to get outside and go hunt.The past three years my wife has become a skilled and tenacious hunter.She friggin loves it.Man its tough to get her to end a hunt,now that she has some gold and silver under her belt its REALLY on.

She now has 4 gold rings,two with diamonds and she even gave me back a ring I gave her from a hunt 5 years ago.14k white gold and 1/3 c.diamond engagement ring.
"it was sweet you gave me this honey but I'll find my own"sheesh was I stunned.Truth is I always kinda wanted that one back !!

Hang in there guys...took mine 10 yrs.to try it.now she is my favorite hunting partner...:occasion14:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those of you who have a wife or GF who does not like metal detecting should be thankful - it gives you an excuse to get away from her sometimes.

Maurissa

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2015
Peace Country, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Very first: Discovery 1100 Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's a little intimidating for females too. I wasn't even going to come on here initially because of being intimidated. But my thirst for knowledge and not making mistakes that I could prevent preemptively, overcame my hesitancy.
@freebirdtim and @argentium agreed on the coin collector part.
But from the sounds of it, more of us ladies are getting into it. And to the jokers unthread...perhaps yes that may be a strategy for single women...but enthusiasm for this hobby cannot be faked. (Had a little chuckle at the *gold digger* metaphor).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
funny how some high class women like to garden and do not mind "getting dirty" when putting in plants but do not care for "vulgar" metal detecting ..go figger...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ladies are not going to respond...there are on shopping dot.com not here... Lol...
I am glad my wife does not like to dig... Itis my time...headphones... And focused.... :-)

The Silverslingers

Apr 12, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro; White's VX3, MXT All Pro, Treasure Pro, Treasuremaster, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig every single spare second I get. it is literally all i do besides my real world job. Every weekend sunrise to sunset, often after work, rain or shine, heat (95+ degrees) or icy cold (20 below!). It has become my life's obsession.....and I chronicle it all on youtube to preserve what little history i can & to share my passion. This girl is LOVING and LIVING it :)

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig every single spare second I get. it is literally all i do besides my real world job. Every weekend sunrise to sunset, often after work, rain or shine, heat (95+ degrees) or icy cold (20 below!). It has become my life's obsession.....and I chronicle it all on youtube to preserve what little history i can & to share my passion. This girl is LOVING and LIVING it :)

You can see and feel your excitement in your videos... That Tiger is a lucky man! :)

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Are you a single unattached woman? I know for a positive fact that there are many men here who will be more than happy to help:lurk:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more this discussion "evolves" (the apropos word I think) the more it delves into much broader and indepth topics to explain a simple concept (which in of itself may be not so simple at all) as to why more women do not detect.

The last few posts regarding some sort of Darwinian natural selection that happened out of necessity for survival that "forced" whatever cultural customs our ancestors had at the time to reinforce a more robust cultural and psychologic paradigm of collecting/hoarding to be in a better position with a decidedly unpredictable future is an interesting idea. This thread at times reminds me of the book "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond where an even large anthropological argument is made to helps determine the whys of wherefores of Northern European and Eurasian colonization but ultimately his underpinning for that entire line of thought is, as Plumbata mentioned above, based on a selection process for those privileged to survive during scarce times and the genes that kept getting passed on that reinforced survivability.

How basic we want to go on why someone spends time digging up something/seeking more of whatever it is they are looking for or why women typically do not can come to an intellectual point of diminishing return (I'm not saying we're arrived there yet) but you get the idea.
Ahhhhhh .....yawwwnnnnn , scratch....scratch

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe women are just smarter than us? They don't understand why anyone would use valuable time to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on machines.... Spend more valuable time researching.... Drive long distances.....hunt and dig in sometimes adverse conditions.... Only to be rewarded.... Maybe just maybe with an Odie!

Sorry OD....it's early morning and I just hadda.... God bless:laughing7:

ParatroopVet

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2015
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife laughs at my fascination with detecting and calls me the worlds oldest 45 year old. She jests that I'm a heart beat away from wearing black dress socks with sandals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread