Prospector Shot on his own land - trying to mow!

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband was seeing if he could mow some grass bebind our house Limitool, and huntsman53 you know where I'm talking about. Hubby heard a woman speaking (or should I say yelling loud enough for him to hear her over the mower- the blades were not engaged at the time) She was directing the Perp, she said "he's right over there" Then he heard two shots, then the third struck him in the leg! That woman is as guilty of attemted murder as the shooter since she was directing him.

Be careful out there. Sorry no-good, meth-heads may just try to kill you - on your own property! Not all snakes in the grass have fangs!

Hubby is home now, they did not remove the bullet, and will let it work its way out so that it is easier to remove later.

The same SOB threatened to kill me twice the other day, then almost ran my daughter and I over yesterday, Called the police then too... Then later yesterday he tried to murder my husband! The Sheriff needs to do his damn job, and stop protecting this criminal! They wouldn't do anything about the other assaults, and have done nothing about him shooting my husband either...

This is a picture of my husbands blood on the mower today! It is still wet from yesterday! That is the blood that didn't end up in his shoe on his way back to the front of the house after being shot. The doctor said it is a 22 caliber bullet after the CT Scan.

Last edited by a moderator:

scavanau

Jul 7, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Ace-250, AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly, carrying a personal weapon is becoming a necessity rather than a right.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How does this woman come into play? What was she trying to accomplish? I'm confused :icon_scratch:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does this woman come into play? What was she trying to accomplish? I'm confused :icon_scratch:

She was directing the shooter. This might have been an on going feud. The op can answer, That is what I got out of it.

Yes! I understand your frustration! The police have rules they have to follow, the criminals, or attackers, know these lines at times, and they keep getting away with it. I don't blame the police in some of these cases, I blame some of the laws,and the people that support the criminals. Me? I would have wanted to shoot them both, especially after a bullet hit me! But that's not allowed either, Depending.......I'm sry you have to go through this! There is nothing worse, than when your in fear on your own land and laws protect the other guy! Or anywhere really!

I'd be curious to what led up to this? Was this out of no where? Someone against prospecting? Land feud? Etc.......

I've been down this path, whether your in the right or wrong? Police do also get sick of running out to calls, of people just pointing fingers back and fourth and arguing. Then at some point someone makes a bigger threatening move. I don't know the OP's situation and My comment above is taking it at face value!

Last edited:

NC1

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Laurinburg, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is crazy. If it had been me, the perp would be in a body bag by now.
As far as I am concerned, if someone shoots at me, unprovoked, on my own property, I will respond in the same manner until the threat is neutralized. This is why I carry ALL THE TIME - even in my own yard day or night.
You don't know what kind of nut jobs are loose out there. My good friend here is a Magistrate and has told me some stories that would stand the hair up on your head. Other stories make you laugh for a good 30 minutes.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow that's crazy, glad your husbands alright. .22 can do a lot more damage than people think because it likes to ricochet in the body. Do you own a firearm for personal protection? If not, now would be the time to get one and you have just cause for a ccw if your state allows it, although being on your property you may not need one. From your post it sounds as though the shooter wasn't arrested? It does make me wonder if there was more to the story because there's no way the guy wouldn't have been arrested unless it was a self defense situation for the guy with the gun.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the Sheriff is not willing to do his job I would think it is time to go to news outlets and even the Mayor or Governor. Terribly sorry that this happened to your family. Hope these scumbags are wiped clean soon.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please give us the backstory, there is obviously more to this story than what we have been told here. Meth head neighbors? Were they hallucinating or what? Did anyone get arrested, if not why? If some son of a b shot me in my own yard and didn't go to jail, he would be in the hospital by now. If he's lucky that is.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to disagree with being shot mowin your own lawn.
The local authority should have already been on it, and if not it's time to go over their heads quick like..
No I don't know all the facts, but find it annoying enough for a self defense right to be exercised from what little was read...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't feel so bad about where I live now

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although while it's not a good thing your Husband was shot and I hope everything turns out o.k. for YOU, But WHY / WHEN did T-net become this " air my biz for all to see " when said Biz has NOTHING to do with M.D.??

I'm just saying with all the tweeter-ing and facebook-ing and everything else, I come on here to see what people have found not who said this or that!!!!
Who are you to tell someone what they can or cannot post in the general discussion forum? That's not your call.

And it does have to do with treasure hunting if you want to get technical about it. You can't detect in 3 foot high grass too well. So it needs to be cut first.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn! Thought it was bad in Southern Calif. Glad no one died!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sub-forums on treasure net allow for us to post anything that is not offensive.

Stay tuned for my views on the 2015 Red Sox .....

no wait...that would be offensive

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn Terry..... My wife just told me about this right now after she called you today..... First off I'm glad it was "just" a .22 that hit him. But it wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference if it was a 300 mag. to me!!!!!!

Yea... I know where he was mowing.... behind the house in the low area.. where you, me, Frank and Tab were digging last.... right? Or further up the access road? Either way it doesn't matter what so ever. Get SOME CAMERAS mounted / hidden on that access road and start to DOCUMENT NOW...!!!!! I mentioned this thought / idea when we were there. Give us a call back tonight please and let us know more.

I can't believe something more has not been done yet. I'd of BLOCKED OFF THE ACCESS ROAD IMMEDITEALY with a vehicle and not moved it until the COPS DID IT!!!!!!

Ok lady.... I can't help ya here back in TN. but my thoughts are with you and hubby. That man does NOT deserve what happened at all. He wouldn't harm anybody.... wish I lived next door.... I'd be going back to my "bad days...." asap. Keep us posted and call back lady.... Thanks, Brad

For those who wonder if she's armed...... :laughing7:

OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Back story is that this guy is dealing dope behind my property. His aunt used to own my land; After we moved here he claims that this is his family's land, and we need to go. We chose this piece of property because it had potential as a place to enjoy our Treasure hunting hobbies; Other friends from Treasurenet have been here prospecting with us too. (No luck yet but we're still prospecting-The druggy SOB don't like that for some reason) Last week the same man coaught my daughter and I in our front yard and said he was looking at a dead woman, etc, then later that day came up on me while getting things out of my car and did it again!, Then Yesterday he almost ran over my daughter and I on our property - he was within 1-2 inches of me and she was directly in front of me. No words were exchanged, he just tried to run us down! Until he shot my husband, my husband didn't feel his threats were anything but intimidation. I however did and called the police and made reports when they happened.

A while back some friends were here metal detecting and two were stopped on our property by a member of that family wanting to know what he was doing... I am thankful that the SOB didn't hurt him, or his grandson then. This has moved way past harassment, and intimidation. The SOB tried to MURDER my husband.

There is no self-defense claim for that THUG; he shot my husband without my husband even knowing he was there! My husband heard the woman shout to the perp where to shoot, and the SOB Shot at him multiple times while he was on his lawn mower! A sneak attack from a distance behind you, is not in any way even an escelated confrontation, there is no self defense in shooting an elderly man on a mower! That SOB shot my husband in cold blood without provocation or right! The Oconee County, SC Sheriff needs to do his damn job! My husband was driving the mower away from the danger, and the ******* kept shooting at least until he hit his intended target! If that isn't pre-meditaded attempted murder NOTHING IS!

I did notify the news, and they said the Information officer said it was under investigation so - no comment. After NBC called the investigator did come back, and did go back to the scene, and went to question the perp... He hasn't taken him in for questiong and no warrants, or search warrants have been executed. The SOB is still behind my home, and we are still in danger!

WE BOUGHT IT, WE OWN IT, WE LIVE HERE! We rockhound, metal detect and prospect on our property. So for the offensive statement from Sandman23 "grow up little one".

Sorry if I seem a little touchy. My husband has a bullet in him, and this ******* hasn't even been taken in for questioning???? Something is very fishy about this!

The THUG's arrest record is very lengthy. He is a career criminal. We are stuck! We bought it, We moved here.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is horrible! And hope you get help soon!!!!

OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Back story is that this guy is dealing dope behind my property. His aunt used to own my land; After we moved here he claims that this is his family's land, and we need to go. We chose this piece of property because it had potential as a place to enjoy our Treasure hunting hobbies; Other friends from Treasurenet have been here prospecting with us too. (No luck yet but we're still prospecting-The druggy SOB don't like that for some reason) Last week the same man coaught my daughter and I in our front yard and said he was looking at a dead woman, etc, then later that day came up on me while getting things out of my car and did it again!, Then Yesterday he almost ran over my daughter and I on our property - he was within 1-2 inches of me and she was directly in front of me. No words were exchanged, he just tried to run us down! Until he shot my husband, my husband didn't feel his threats were anything but intimidation. I however did and called the police and made reports when they happened.

A while back some friends were here metal detecting and two were stopped on our property by a member of that family wanting to know what he was doing... I am thankful that the SOB didn't hurt him, or his grandson then. This has moved way past harassment, and intimidation. The SOB tried to MURDER my husband.

There is no self-defense claim for that THUG; he shot my husband without my husband even knowing he was there! My husband heard the woman shout to the perp where to shoot, and the SOB Shot at him multiple times while he was on his lawn mower! A sneak attack from a distance behind you, is not in any way even an escelated confrontation, there is no self defense in shooting an elderly man on a mower! That SOB shot my husband in cold blood without provocation or right! The Oconee County, SC Sheriff needs to do his damn job! My husband was driving the mower away from the danger, and the ******* kept shooting at least until he hit his intended target! If that isn't pre-meditaded attempted murder NOTHING IS!

I did notify the news, and they said the Information officer said it was under investigation so - no comment. After NBC called the investigator did come back, and did go back to the scene, and went to question the perp... He hasn't taken him in for questiong and no warrants, or search warrants have been executed. The SOB is still behind my home, and we are still in danger!

WE BOUGHT IT, WE OWN IT, WE LIVE HERE! We rockhound, metal detect and prospect on our property. So for the offensive statement from Sandman23 "grow up little one".

Sorry if I seem a little touchy. My husband has a bullet in him, and this ******* hasn't even been taken in for questioning???? Something is very fishy about this!

The THUG's arrest record is very lengthy. He is a career criminal. We are stuck! We bought it, We moved here.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So a guy shoots your husband, your husband goes to the hospital and gets confirmation he was shot and the guy who shot him is still there next to your house?

OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Brad,
he was a little further up when he got shot checking the back field to see about if it could be mowed or needs a brush hog... Just past where ya found the bottles. He was on the road heading back to mow the low spot when he got shot.... No way to just mow that back field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread