Prospector Shot on his own land - trying to mow!

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
General Discussion is for discussing anything that has to do with
Treasure Hunting of any type , The Forum, And The members within reason.
(I don't want to read about cures for Hemorrhoids or a bad date in General Discussion)

I see nothing wrong with this post other then the Bloody picture ,
Which I hope the OP understands Why I edited it.
Awww shucks Jeff! Last weekend I had a date with an ugly woman who invented a great hemorrhoid cream....Your loss my friend.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I was your husband, his first mistake would have been
threatening my wife.
no-216.gif~original

Mistake #2 would have been shooting at me while I was mowing.

Why, you ask?

I'm a peaceful man, BUT, I have the God given right to protect myself and my family....

therefore.........I SHOOT BACK!
shoot.gif~original

No more problem.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
All I can say is abandoned mine shafts are your friend.

More than one way to give your neighbors the shaft :)

Edit:

A civil lawsuit would be a very sweet beginning. Malicious wounding, own their property as well.

Last edited:

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Sadly it sounds like these people have bullied the police and it's working. I don't know if your pro firearms or not? But when he threatened to take your life you have the right to take care of the problem right at that time. You can't wait until he gains better aim and kills one or both of you. Give yourself a fighting chance and arm yourself at all times.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure a restraining order, protection order,trespass notice(whatever they call it),..... would stop anything, but might be helpful later when not getting help from police, or other things. :dontknow: Just might be a good tool later on down the road.

Some of it takes a while, they can do a temporary order almost immediately! I guess state and area might depend. Just throwing thoughts out there.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with all this talk of revenge just remember the word & results of premeditation .

Fighting back Immediately is different then well thought out physical revenge.
Which in my opinion is no better then what has already happened.
at this point the law is the best choice

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad informed me of this yesterday afternoon and shortly after I called and talked to Terri about what happened. I can't believe that this is happening to such nice people, that Steve got shot and nothing is being done. I told Terri that if they need me, I can be loaded up with a few thousand rounds of ammo and many guns and be on my way to their' place in about 10 minutes from the time she calls. Once there, I will stand guard until the Sheriff's Office does their job or until another Law Enforcement entity steps in if the Sheriff's Office doesn't. Even with it being a Holiday weekend, there are always Judges on call to sign Warrants and this person should have been taken into custody, tested for GSR and his' camper and the property searched for the weapon but this has not happened. This smells like the person has local LE's in his pocket and the Federal Marshall's Service should come into investigate and take down everyone involved. I worked with Federal Marshalls many years ago on a similar situation of which I cannot divulge details and know that they are more suited to take care of things of this nature and more so than the FBI. If nothing happens by Tuesday, then Terri and Steve should be on the phone with the State Attorney General, the Governor, TV Stations, the Federal Marshall's Service and the U.S. Attorney General's Office until something is done. The main thing here right now, is the safety of these good folks (Terri, Steve and Tabitha) which local LE's are not providing and is why I am ready to leave my' home here in East Tennessee at a moments notice.

I don't know the person or persons that shot Steve and who has been hurling threats at Terri and Tabitha but they may get to know me real soon! Terri and Steve purchased the property and this person or persons feels that they are intruders and a threat to his' or their' drug business. Also, the property apparently belonged to their' family at one time and they believe that they still have rights to it. Well, they don't have any rights to the property other than an Easement or Right of Way to use the road (which Terri and Steve actually own) to the property that a brother or other family member still owns. This is apparently the same person that questioned Brad and his grandson about what they were doing back on that road while we were there Gold prospecting! They never confronted me while we were there and it is a good thing because I was armed. God forbid that this person or persons are stupid enough to harm these good folks anymore in any way as it will not end well for them. I will be calling Terri, Steve and Tabitha every day to check on their well being until the time that the person or persons making the threats and shot Steve are no longer a threat.

Frank

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with all this talk of revenge just remember the word & results of premeditation .

Fighting back Immediately is different then well thought out physical revenge.
Which in my opinion is no better then what has already happened.
at this point the law is the best choice

I changed my post! Not sure if thats what your referring to or maybe didn't see it. I was joking and thought about it after I posted. Or maybe I wasn't joking? Either way! :laughing7:

Hey??? It's not my fault the meth head blew up his house! He should have learned how to be safer with it!The guy musta thought he was a chemist or something? I don't know!:laughing7: OK OK....Horse head in his bed? Come on, something? :laughing7: All I'm saying is after hit with a bullet or shot at. It would be real,real, tough to put the thought of my safety or my families in someone elses hands. Real hard! I may not do anything, but I would sure sit and think of things!:laughing7:

after thinking......I understand what your saying.......And your right! HMMM, maybe I just watch too many movies! And would want to handle this guy ...well....Movie style!:laughing7:

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. As far as I know you don't need to wait on a judge to get a warrant for a felony arrest. I believe intentionally shooting somebody could qualify as a felony. Laws may be different in your part of the country. Also, in T.C.'s defense, what I thought he meant by that self defense remark was a good case for your husband to use self defense. Hope your husband recovers and everything gets resolved, real quick like too.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I changed my post! Not sure if thats what your referring to or maybe didn't see it. I was joking and thought about it after I posted. Or maybe I wasn't joking? Either way! :laughing7:

Hey??? It's not my fault the meth head blew up his house! He should have learned how to be safer with it!The guy musta thought he was a chemist or something? I don't know!:laughing7: OK OK....Horse head in his bed? Come on, something? :laughing7: All I'm saying is after hit with a bullet or shot at. It would be real,real, tough to put the thought of my safety or my families in someone elses hands. Real hard! I may not do anything, but I would sure sit and think of things!:laughing7:

after thinking......I understand what your saying.......And your right! HMMM, maybe I just watch too many movies! And would want to handle this guy ...well....Movie style!:laughing7:

No post in particular. I just felt it was needed.
with all this talk of what everyone would do, I wouldn't want
anyone to just decide to seek revenge physically,
especially IF the Police are on the wrong side.

I really don't want to change the subject or get political,
but Premeditated revenge is the reason I don't respect The Armed services,
or Storm Trooper Police. they don't react to the immediate situation,
The top people sit & plan before even starting their B.S. retaliation,
and are too cowardly to fight their own battles.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should clarify that waiting on a judge to issue a warrant remark to make a felony arrest. Yes indeed, sometimes you do. Say, a burglary that happened last month and your investigation has led you to a suspect. I would think in a violent crime that had just happened, and you were on the scene, and the suspect was on the scene, if you developed enough information to lead you to believe your suspect did indeed commit the crime, shouldn't be any problem in taking him off to jail. And like I said procedures and laws are different in various jurisdictions.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the wierd part. Even if the guy took off that's assault with a deadly weapon and anywhere else there would have been a warrant out for his arrest immediately. I'm sure there are some other charges to tack too like felon in possession of a firearm, attempted murder etc. Really really strange they didn't take this guy in which makes me think there might be a bit more to the story. Even in a legit self defense shooting you have a good chance of getting arrested while they sort everything out and the DA decides if he will press charges or not.

Did an officer even respond to the scene or was no one called out there and only came to the hospital for questioning? If that's the case there most likely is an on going investigation and hopefully the DA charges the guy today.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are just some guys that don't have to follow the law. Maybe the police are afraid,have been bought, are friends with, who knows!!! We like to think it doesn't happen? it does. This is not from me watching movies either. I'm not sure of this case, But it is a possibility and kind of sounds like it. Or just a lazy department! That is a real possibility too.

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya that's either laziness or they are stretched to thin but someone was actually shot in this situation, seems like something you would want to allocate resources to.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to self -defense? I don't know about the laws where this cowardly act was committed, but here in Texas you have the right to legally defend yourself when you reasonably assume that your life is in eminent danger.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Floristweb: I hope your man is on the mend. Pain management, defense and monitoring against blood clots and infection go far in recovery.
In passionate times it is hard to keep track of communications.
A friend had me use "contact" sheets, one per contact.(unrelated to your case but lot's of calls and interesting lack of concern by many parties).
The number called, the time and date, who I spoke with, the topic, and the results.
Easy to forget over time.
My phone was kept to myself . Were it to go to anyone else it would have been to a trusted lawyer working for me.
Careful of what you say on the phone ,so it don't get used against you.

Stay safe!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to self -defense? I don't know about the laws where this cowardly act was committed, but here in Texas you have the right to legally defend yourself when you reasonably assume that your life is in eminent danger.

Yes but to be true self defense, it should have happened immediately after being shot.
I do Believe the OP & her husband should be armed at all times from now on.
but not aggravate the situation like in the Neighbors Movies.

as for the Druggie , meth-heads accusations, I hope the OP isn't already aggravating things with False accusations. Nothing personal,
But I've know allot of people who are quick to throw those words around with no leg to stand on.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff is absolutely right here. This is a public forum, and with the treasure hunting already on the property, a Google search would take their lawyer and the police department directly to this thread.

This thread should continue as a "self defense" subject, with zero further mention of anything even remotely related to revenge.

OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the supportive posts here; But I want to let those who make suggestions to do unlawful things to the perp. We are not the type of people to do that. And for those who suggest my husband should have done something in self defense at the time. He was an elderly man alone behind our house, the perp shot him from his brother's property, Steve didn't see it coming, he herd the woman direct the shooter then immediately heard shots & got shot! It was a snake in the grass assault. The truth is it is hard to defend yourself when you're shot. Once shot there is a necesity to get help. Your immediate need is to get medical attention, and get the bleeding stopped. Being hit in the leg made it imossible for him to seek shelter off the mower (couldn't run) so he drove the mower back up front.

I do firmly believe in the right to defend yourself. I do FIRMLY support gun rights (But the violent convicted felon that shot my husband gave up the right to own guns years ago due to his violent crimes). My family does believe in being armed... But this guy lies in wait, and attacks from out of nowhere. When he almost ran over my daughter and I, we ended up against a downed tree with no method of escape. He came from behind us. When he shot my husband my husband was on his mower, and was not prepared, or expecting to be shot. The first two times he threatened my life he came up on me as I was exiting my vehicle, in my front yard. I don't know how we can mow, hike, prospect, metal detect, rockhound, or pick up trash. We'd need eyes in the back of our heads. I should not be made a prisoner in my own home. The Sheriff's office should not be complacent in this Thug's attemted murder of my husband!

A dear neighbor said we should go straight to the Sheriff, he says he is a good man. Hopefully he is correct, and the Sheriff himself will step in and make sure this criminal is dealt with. I must say that after the first two threats on my life when I was told my daughter and my witnessing and being victims statement was hearsay, so no report was made. I called the Sheriff about it and he did make them come file a report. BTW Eye Witness statements are NOT hearsay... The Sheriff agreed, and said he would train his people on it. Hopefully the Sheriff will do something. Before the officer came back out and got propper statements for the report, the Sheriff's Office investigator called and seemed a bit preturbed, he spoke condiscendingly, It seemed to me he was upset because the Sheriff requested they take a report. He said, Didn't the officer explain what the judge here requires? referring back to them saying eye witness testimony was hearsay, and that video evidence was "required" here. I disagreed with him, and the officer came, and took the report. A second attempt (not by the sheriff himself) to thwart his criminal assaults, harrasment and stalking (in my opinion) from being addressed ... The officer that took the report said he would take it to the judge. We haven't heard anything else about that though.

I want to put up some gates. Where could one find used farm gates cheap in Upstate South Carolina? There is no reason for the tons of traffic going up and down the "private" road. There is no reason for hiking, dirt bike riding, dumping, etc going on on my property. There is a legal right of way to the property owner behind me, his guest (I say that lightly) are his responsability, and he should take responsability for them. The brother of the THUG is the person who owns the property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread