Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And my kid thinks i'm paranoid!

But a few years ago I had a guy track me down from my YouTube channel. He was familiar with the area I kept my catamaran in. I don't know how many days he hung out at the public dock. But he recognized me from the video. We had a chat and he went on his way. After all not everyone buildings a 30' catamaran in the backyard and makes it to the cruising part. (4 years to build then 7 years under sail).

So I can see how a female would want to be a little more careful than the typical male. Typical guys build their own boat, right?😀

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And my kid thinks i'm paranoid!

But a few years ago I had a guy track me down from my YouTube channel. He was familiar with the area I kept my catamaran in. I don't know how many days he hung out at the public dock. But he recognized me from the video. We had a chat and he went on his way. After all not everyone buildings a 30' catamaran in the backyard and makes it to the cruising part. (4 years to build then 7 years under sail).

So I can see how a female would want to be a little more careful than the typical male. Typical guys build their own boat, right?��

Of course! I was just thinking of building one when I read your post! :laughing7: I have a hammer and some rusty nails right here! :laughing7: That's actually cool! I would not even know where to start building a boat! Mine would sink for sure! No doubt! I'm pretty positive of that!

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol! Hobby, not retirement plan. Take the time to enjoy where you are hunting as well as the hunting. The only reason I have multiple detectors is for friends to use them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you a spot...

And still find what you wont. :P

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still hunting for something worthy of posting! I agree that curious on-lookers can be a nuisance but in the interest of promoting the general public's attitude towards MDing, I usually stop, explain what I'm doing (as if I know what I'm doing, LOL) and try, within reason, to be friendly. I've been approached on public beaches and asked to look for recently lost items such as car keys and cell phones,, never with any success. Was I being pranked? Maybe, no big deal if I was, all it meant was me MDing for 20 minutes on a different part of the beach. I admit that my MDing is almost always done in public areas like beaches and parks or a very few private properties with permission. Considering my finds, I don't worry about anyone poaching on "my" spot. Heck, there are plenty of pull tabs and bottle caps for everyone. They seem to reproduce overnight on some of the beaches I hunt.

To those of you who post your finds, thank you. It is encouraging for novices like myself to see the good stuff that can still be found out there. While there might be a twinge of jealousy, I would never consider trying to track down someone else's spot.
HH to all!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I posted details of my finds, I'm very certain I will receive messages from people wanting to find where I live and hunt and then it wouldn't be treasure hunting anymore. I'd be giving copies of "the map with the big :cross: on it" away (FINDS) and leave myself open to potential theft.
Welcome! Oh queen and goddess of the shafted treasure stick. If you truly believe this then, you must be digging gold doubloons or krugerrands or something. Hopefully it's not paranoia setting in. No one comes on here asking or looking for an "X" on a map (nor your address). Those few that have in the past decade, were usually scoffed upon and told to do their own homework. Good luck and happy hunting. Looking forward to not seeing your finds, lol.

wish I had thought about that before I used my own name- hope I don't become an ID theft victim
Not to worry. No one has a clue who you are. :D
Especially now that he has gone gray and retired.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always happy to give help/advise online. However, I will NOT tell anyone where I live and places I travel to hunt. I will NOT post my finds. I will NOT post my picture either.

People approach me regularly if I am in a accessible location. Most start talking to me and I can barely hear them with my machine on. I do try to act like I can't hear them, hoping they will see I cannot hear, am busy and trying to concentrate. But often I have to stop, remove my headphones, smile and politely say "I'M SORRY I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER MY MACHINE" (hint hint) and then they want to ask what I'm doing, if I ever find anything valuable, what's the nicest/most expensive thing I've found or some jug-head goofball tells me they "lost a gold band" (If I had a quarter for every time I hear that one).... This takes away from trying to concentrate on what I am doing.

My answer to people about my treasure finds- "coins, trash and LOTS of pull tabs".

Being helpful to other "detectorists" is good. If I posted details of my finds, I'm very certain I will receive messages from people wanting to find where I live and hunt and then it wouldn't be treasure hunting anymore. I'd be giving copies of "the map with the big :cross: on it" away (FINDS) and leave myself open to potential theft.

Consider this- Wouldn't it suck if after you spent a lot of time and money plus countless hours of researching an area for days or weeks, found a great piece ad decided to brag- went back and found 2, 3 or more people waving detectors in the place(s) you put so much effort in figuring out and pulling what YOU had hoped to find?

I know some of you nice folks feel an irresistible need or urge to show off your finds. It makes you feel special. Some of you I'm sure would like to be looked at and revered as the metal detecting bad ass of your area, this site or Youtube. Just remember, be careful with your words & pictures. Good luck to all (No bad intentions to hurt feelings were present when I typed this....Maybe a little sarcastic humor.) and I hope 2016 brings all who work hard for it- lots of treasure. Whether it be gold, artifacts or MEMORIES. You can still be a bad ass. Silence is GOLDEN..... LOL- literally!

MM welcome to TreasureNet, the largest and oldest treasure hunting website on the net.

Members showing their finds has nothing to do with "irresistible need or urge to show off your finds. It makes you feel special. Some of you I'm sure would like to be looked at and revered as the metal detecting bad ass of your area, this site or Youtube"..

The total purpose of TreasureNet is the sharing of research and information and that also includes pictures and stories of the finds made by members. No one is obligated to share info on what you found or where you find it.... In the 10 years I have been detecting no one has ever asked exactly where I found something. I usually only state found while hunting the east coast, west coast, south Florida or I say Daytona beach St Pete beach ect myself..... Most of us know to turn off the gps in our cameras so it doesnt encode the location of the pictures,...

Telling someone you found a ring on Daytona Beach or St Pete beach doesn't mean anything, the beaches are long and wide and hunted often, telling them you found a honey hole at the intersection of such and such streets that has lots of old silver coins will get you competition. It is like saying you caught a 10 lb bass fishing a large lake, no big deal......

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But...
If someone posted they found a gold Escudo or a treasure ship ring on such and such beach...

Rest assured... it would go from you... to who... in no time. heh

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of that movie " I know where you detected last summer"

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats a selfie ?? The places I go to are hard to find on a map. I can put myself where I'll never be found !

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting and bad ass just don't seem to fit together. Metal detecting and geek however, do seem to fit. The only thing that ever made me a bad ass was when I ate an entire box of Circus fun cereal. After that people feared me.

cereal.jpg

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still hunting for something worthy of posting! I agree that curious on-lookers can be a nuisance but in the interest of promoting the general public's attitude towards MDing, I usually stop, explain what I'm doing (as if I know what I'm doing, LOL) and try, within reason, to be friendly. I've been approached on public beaches and asked to look for recently lost items such as car keys and cell phones,, never with any success. Was I being pranked? Maybe, no big deal if I was, all it meant was me MDing for 20 minutes on a different part of the beach. I admit that my MDing is almost always done in public areas like beaches and parks or a very few private properties with permission. Considering my finds, I don't worry about anyone poaching on "my" spot. Heck, there are plenty of pull tabs and bottle caps for everyone. They seem to reproduce overnight on some of the beaches I hunt.

To those of you who post your finds, thank you. It is encouraging for novices like myself to see the good stuff that can still be found out there. While there might be a twinge of jealousy, I would never consider trying to track down someone else's spot.
HH to all!

My cities ordinance for Metal Detecting actually states, "Be an ambassador for your hobby." Ain't that sumpthin'? I love it. It reminds me of why we should be polite. And as for parks and grounds keepers, I've found them to be VERY pleasant and jovial. Most of them are good for a great practical joke, too. One of the guys thinks its hilarious to send his St. Bernards up to me for a slurp while I'm down on my knee digging. They are REALLY quiet for such big dogs! I about crap myself every time, and then I hear him laughing... Cracks me up every time now.

Most of the park guys, once I get to know them, will approach me and tell me where the recent groups of crowds have been. They get the fact that a slice in the dirt is airation, not damage. :)

Cheers,

SKippy

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! Oh queen and goddess of the shafted treasure stick. If you truly believe this then, you must be digging gold doubloons or krugerrands or something. Hopefully it's not paranoia setting in. No one comes on here asking or looking for an "X" on a map (nor your address). Those few that have in the past decade, were usually scoffed upon and told to do their own homework. Good luck and happy hunting. Looking forward to not seeing your finds, lol.

Of course, there's always the tried and true backup strategy of replying "no" to requests. It IS a forum after all.

The logic just isn't all there. Besides, if someone wants to know where I found it, answering, "in the hole I dug it from." is really all they need to know, because at this point... the find isn't in the hole any more. LOL It's not like they can go behind me and "refind" it!

Skippy

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But...
If someone posted they found a gold Escudo or a treasure ship ring on such and such beach...

Rest assured... it would go from you... to who... in no time. heh

Well sure! That's why I don't hunt for that kind of treasure. It just makes forum posting boring.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And I'll pile on here also.... I'm getting damn sick and tired of all the requests from all you T-netters calling and PMing me about my horseshoe hot spot. I will never tell you or anyone that it's behind my home on an old dirt road going toward the Duck River. So PLEASE.... everyone... now hear this. This is MY special spot and you all should find your OWN horseshoe hot spot!!! Once I find the other 3 Golden Horseshoe's I might share this spot (Ga boy stole one).... maybe I'll share! I'll let you hunt T.C. I'm in a good mood today.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And I'll pile on here also.... I'm getting damn sick and tired of all the requests from all you T-netters calling and PMing me about my horseshoe hot spot. I will never tell you or anyone that it's behind my home on an old dirt road going toward the Duck River. So PLEASE.... everyone... now hear this. This is MY special spot and you all should find your OWN horseshoe hot spot!!! Once I find the other 3 Golden Horseshoe's I might share this spot (Ga boy stole one).... maybe I'll share! I'll let you hunt T.C. I'm in a good mood today.

Dang and just when I thought I was getting close to figuring out where your horseshoe honey hole was. I was getting tired of sitting up in this tree with binoculars like Arty Johnson. Slinking away now. :tongue3:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang and just when I thought I was getting close to figuring out where your horseshoe honey hole was. I was getting tired of sitting up in this tree with binoculars like Arty Johnson. Slinking away now. :tongue3:

Yea I saw ya.... I just didn't have the heart to say anything to ya. I put the 3 buckles I found back for you too find also.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairly new? Female? Loosen up, life is fun. Share, become friends, talk to people it won't hurt. I gladly give my locations out as I don't give a crap if someone finds something better than I. I do it for the fun of it and that's it!
I am always happy to give help/advise online. However, I will NOT tell anyone where I live and places I travel to hunt. I will NOT post my finds. I will NOT post my picture either.

People approach me regularly if I am in a accessible location. Most start talking to me and I can barely hear them with my machine on. I do try to act like I can't hear them, hoping they will see I cannot hear, am busy and trying to concentrate. But often I have to stop, remove my headphones, smile and politely say "I'M SORRY I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER MY MACHINE" (hint hint) and then they want to ask what I'm doing, if I ever find anything valuable, what's the nicest/most expensive thing I've found or some jug-head goofball tells me they "lost a gold band" (If I had a quarter for every time I hear that one).... This takes away from trying to concentrate on what I am doing.

My answer to people about my treasure finds- "coins, trash and LOTS of pull tabs".

Being helpful to other "detectorists" is good. If I posted details of my finds, I'm very certain I will receive messages from people wanting to find where I live and hunt and then it wouldn't be treasure hunting anymore. I'd be giving copies of "the map with the big :cross: on it" away (FINDS) and leave myself open to potential theft.

Consider this- Wouldn't it suck if after you spent a lot of time and money plus countless hours of researching an area for days or weeks, found a great piece ad decided to brag- went back and found 2, 3 or more people waving detectors in the place(s) you put so much effort in figuring out and pulling what YOU had hoped to find?

I know some of you nice folks feel an irresistible need or urge to show off your finds. It makes you feel special. Some of you I'm sure would like to be looked at and revered as the metal detecting bad ass of your area, this site or Youtube. Just remember, be careful with your words & pictures. Good luck to all (No bad intentions to hurt feelings were present when I typed this....Maybe a little sarcastic humor.) and I hope 2016 brings all who work hard for it- lots of treasure. Whether it be gold, artifacts or MEMORIES. You can still be a bad ass. Silence is GOLDEN..... LOL- literally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread