is this a old military buckle

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in washington state the park near western state mentel hospital was a civil war fort i dug this up last week i was told its probrobley a military buckle from around the civil war 20160416_213854.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are thousands and thousands of small buckles in the ground and it is not really likely yours is military, and there is no possible way to identify it's maker, history, or use. It looks to be about the right size for a dog collar, but there were and are small buckles on many many things, no way to know for sure. As you hunt more you will find more buckles, they are all over the place. I throw mine away, just keep at it and find the good stuff!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was next to a sqaure nail

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20160417_182737.jpg heres a other pic

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
No way to tell, depends on where you live too. If you found it in a place close to known battlefields there is a better chance of it being military. If you found it in a place like where I live, where no military activity ever happened, chances are very likely that it is not military. Your profile says you live in Washington, which did not have much military activity. In that case, It is unlikely that the buckle you found has to do with the military. Though there's a chance that a soldier from Washington could have fought overseas in a war, and brought back some clothes or other objects from the war to his hometown and may have lost a buckle. This is very unlikely though, and I would conclude that this buckle is probably civilian, not sure what it is from or a certain age too. It could be horse related, or like said above, dog related.

Anyways, cool find nonetheless, I love finding stuff like that and wondering the story behind it. It may not seem like much, but there is history behind every nail that is found

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The parki foind it at was a old civil war fort

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is the buckle made of brass? Often the older military buckles are made of brass such as back pack types.

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think its iron i found it next to a squared nail

Top Member Reactions