Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your purchase!This is how it went for me bought a a ace 150 kept it 2 days traded it back in and got a ace 250 ( all the time knowing I like this hobbie and im not rich either so money is a issue) kept it for awhile a month gave it to my son in law and got a at pro and the at pro blew the first two out of the water once I got it down pat now I found some killer finds with it. SO as I climbed the money scale the machines got way better it did matter! Now here comes the kicker loved the at pro but after awhile started getting the bug to buy another detector so I started selling all my fishing collection as I dont fish much anymore detecting knocked that out and I started researching detectors IM a relic hunter so I needed one thats good in iron and they claimed the at pro is and I thought it was and it is to some extent it is but it has its limits,now when all was said and done i bought an xp deus most money ive ever spent even sold my at pro to get money so I had to sacrifice to get it.Now heres the moral of this story how far do you want to go for me it has been a journey and a fun at that ! Will a 1200.00 detector out hunt a 500.00 0r 200.00 detector yes by a long shot but if your just hunting coins in a park or relics your gonna find them too with the other machines but if you discover you love this hobbie and want to become more effective in pulling targets from the ground then save your money because in this case for me it was money well spent ! congrats on the tesoro silver i looked at tesoro when I was researching lifetime warranty is great . I agree with the post above your experience level will dictate your finds and I would not recommend someone buying a top end detector to start it would have been a major mistake for me I needed to learn how to detect first and understand the fundamentals of how detectors work and their limits and their strong points. happy hunting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I also look at it from a cost/return point of view. I might very well get my $160 back out of the machine. Then again, might not. Neither of us are in good health - neck injuries, age, etc. We may find that it just isn't worth the effort to us - especially as we live in an area that has never had much traffic, never had much population, is water-logged most of the time(!!) and the ones that were here were dirt poor. ...On the other hand, I'm forever dropping nuts and bolts into the snow when it's -30 outside! :laughing9: So I'll ALWAYS keep this machine, I suppose. However, only time will tell if we want to have more bells and whistles. Considering how we are, I'd guess not. BUT, might end up upgrading to a Tejon some day!! :thumbsup:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro detectors have a lifetime warranty. Make sure you check on that since you purchased it used - may not transfer. But certainly give it a try!

And, as stated above, you won't go wrong with your choice of that machine - provided it works of course!

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a $50 charge to transfer the warranty. But at $160 for the machine, I doubt I'll ever worry about that.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're warranty in NOT transferable period. Only the original owner has the lifetime warranty There is a $50 charge to diagnose/checkup your Tesoro. I just spent $300 on a tiger shark to replace a bad coil.

Last edited:

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll put a vote in for one of the Garrett machines that are in your price range... I have used the Ace 250 for a while now and have found an awful lot with it. It's simple and pretty good at finding items up to 6-8" deep. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Dinkleman

Apr 12, 2016
Rochester ny
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, pro pointer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lifetime warranty is great and the reviews your allowed to see are great for the teroso. However after having the chance to use the machine myself i was not impressed. Does it find burried items sure and does have a decent depth, however after searching my blind test area (20 x 20 sandbox) which i did not place items so i did not know what was there, i found 4 items with my ace that were missed by the tesoro. Also not a huge fan of the low quality sound or lack of a digital display.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had your budget I'd get a used F2 from an online auction site. I see one current bis is $106.50. If you are lucky you might be able to get one and still have enough to buy a used Garrett Pro Pointer.

3rdMarDiv

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch Craigslist

Go to Craigslist and look for a used Detector that meets your needs.
Marvin

Patience will pay off. Keep checking Craigslist in your and surrounding areas. Might take awhile, but is a great way to save money and keep trading up models. I just picked up an X-Terra 705 with extra DD coil for 400. Still has 8 months warranty. The user kept it in like new condition. I quickly sold my ACE 250 for 180. Good luck...:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread