kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all. While I, personally, do not have a great interest in MDing, my wife has quite the desire. We're not "well off", so gonna have to place a cap of $200 on our initial MD. We both have neck injuries, so weight is an issue. We need frequent breaks, so going forever on a charge isn't important. We will not be working in town, but rather on our own property - which is probably littered with iron and copper trash! House is literally in the middle of nowhere and sat abandoned for 20+ years.

Would prefer a detector that doesn't show us what coin is in the ground. I'd much rather trust numbers and tones. Won't be diving, but is a very wet area, so coil needs to be waterproof. Also, don't figure we will be in 'gold nugget'-potential areas very often. More of a starter unit than anything else.

Would like to find a decent used MD, but there's nothing to be found in this area - NOTHING!! Any ideas/tip/suggestions?

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is a hair over $200, but have been considering the Fisher F22. ...Guess I should respectfully adjust that cap to $250.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't give you a MD suggestion $200 and under, but I'm pretty sure you won't find a detector that will tell you what coin is in the ground. And careful you may become addicted if you find some good goodies!

Have fun what ever you get. HH:thumbsup:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i were you I would save up and buy a AT Pro. You can find them for around $550 or so. The reason being is that in my experience you buy a "Starter machine" and after a month or so you start wishing that you can upgrade so you can start finding the "better, and deeper" treasure. I started out with a Tecnetics Delta 4000 i believe and it was a decent machine. I am much happier though with my At Pro.

Dinkleman

Apr 12, 2016
Rochester ny
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, pro pointer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the Garrett ace 250. You can shop for prices but I believe the 250 discovery pack is about $212 from metaldetector.com . Its a great low cost machine

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Craigslist and look for a used Detector that meets your needs.
Marvin

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
The F22 is probably a good choice. I have the F44 and love it. I use it at times instead of my more expensive detectors. Also, it is weatherproof, so you can hose it down after hunting out in the mud.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is just for a little fun try one of the Go Find Series from Minelab.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the suggestions!! Have been considering the F22, but have also been looking at an Ace 350 that Kellyco has - a demo model. According to MetalDetectorReviews.net, the F22 sees down the deepest. However, have seen some great reviews on the Ace 250 and 300.

Haven't read as much as I should have into detecting wet ground, but that's pretty much what we have here. The water table is quite high much of the time. Right now, if you dig a 6" hole and wait an hour, it will have 2" of water! The ONLY reason I'm wanting to get this somewhat soon is so we can become familiar with it before going to some area that would have better detecting conditions - like Black Hills, South Dakota for example.

Also, what about the age of the technology? The F22 is the newest model, having come to market in 2011. Yet the older models still get the job done. Any thoughts on that?

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
The F22 didn't come to market until like July 2015. The Ac3 250/350 are being replaced right now. If you are set on one of these, look into the new series, 300 or 400.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Oddjob - the Minelab Go Find series looks really interesting. I like how it collapses for easy transport/storage. Unfortunately, went to Minelab's website and clicked on their link for Further Information, but the link was no good.

Hopefully I can make a decision within a couple weeks - just want to get the best model for our needs. ...You know, the detector that can find a 21 oz. gold nugget right here in NW Minnesota. I might be willing to go $300 for that model!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, my mistake - Thanks for the catch Caveman. The F22 is 2015 and it was, I think the Ace 350 that was 2011?

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to Craigslist and look for a used Detector that meets your needs.
Marvin

Been to Craigslist. There are no...I repeat, "NO" used detectors in my area!! There's a couple down in the Twin Cities area, but we're up by Canada.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Change of plans. After a lot of research (and still reading, so decisions might still change), it seems that Tesoro is going to be our brand to learn on. We're not high-tech people - hoping that will include not having the bells and whistles that are on the F22 and Ace 250 to 350.

Thanks again for all the input!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab X-terra series will do what you looking for. A new 305 is close to your price range. If you shop around for a used unit you might find a 505 around $250.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, no used 505's on eBay, and new 505's are $600. The 305's are running at $350 or so.

It will get here next week, but made a purchase. After MUCH research covering all of the major brands (including well out of my price range), I saw a Tesoro Silver uMax being sold not by an individual, but by a retail store. It looked in very good condition and it was said to be in "very good" working order. It looked practically new, according to the photos. Final price was $148.50 + $18 shipping.

I'm sure the "bells & whistles" detectors are a perfect fit for many people. ....We may end up going that route as well, but want to give the Tesoro a try first. There's just too many posts I've run across about someone liking and using their Silver uMax more than their bigger, more expensive detector. Also lots of posts about people NOT liking their really expensive detectors. Sometimes I wonder if they think that spending that much money is supposed to make the coins/relics just jump right out of the ground.

As this detector is "meant" for the wife, I can't say I'll use it enough to provide an accurate review. As with anything else worthwhile in life, this will take practice.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Change of plans. After a lot of research (and still reading, so decisions might still change), it seems that Tesoro is going to be our brand to learn on. We're not high-tech people - hoping that will include not having the bells and whistles that are on the F22 and Ace 250 to 350.

Thanks again for all the input!
Tesoro good choice ..... DSCN0810.JPG

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been totally blown away at all the positive feedback, reviews and praises that I'v read about the Silver uMax. Even folks that own the Tejon or Lobo say they often prefer the Silver. Have even read a couple where folks upgraded to a better Tesoro and later wished they had kept their Silver. One guy mentioned he was planning on downgrading back to a Silver again. So it stands to reason that a design that has been on the market since 1983 with only a few slight changes must be doing something right! ...Am actually hoping the wife isn't all that interested. :laughing7: But more than likely, we'll both be out there together. ...Might end up having to get another Silver - sort of a 'His' and 'Hers'. :thumbsup:

bigchz

Jun 9, 2014
Northern New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 previously, now I own a Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100% on the Garrett AT pro. I'm a beginner as well, and WOW the performance and ease of use! The AT pro has far exceeded my expectations, and already have been getting some awesome finds! Good luck :)

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with this statement. I own two metal detectors both of which I purchased in March. I absolutely love my Fisher F5 and Si Roberson TC2X both are excellent machines and I have had great success with both. I am now on the quest for the AT PRO myself. However I believe you can find a Bounty Hunter for around $200. Initially I was considering purchasing a more cost effective metal detector because I wasn't sure if I would like the hobby or not. Instead I rented one from A to Z rental. It was a Garret 250 and while I enjoyed my day of hunting with this machine I only found one penny. Keep in mind that I had never even swung a coil before and didn't have much time with the 250. None the less I was hooked, but my mind was made up. My logic was that I wanted to purchase a metal detector that I could grow into as well as experience some success with early on. Both metal detectors I purchased really facilitated this well. It is important to note however, that experience plays a large role in how much success you experience. The early going can be rough, I kind of liken it to golf. If you are an experienced golfer the brand of clubs or other equipment you purchase may make a difference in the fine tuning of your game. A newbie however can not realistically expect to buy a set of Nike Tiger Woods clubs, and a Tag watch and expect to golf like Tiger. In reality its up to the purchaser to decide whats right for them. Check reviews, Look at Kellyco Metal Detectors and other retailers websites. Check out the selection they offer and watch videos about the metal detector on Youtube. That's what I did, and honestly it was no quick decision. I decided I wanted a metal detector about a year before I actually purchased one.

In any case good luck!

Oh and make sure you get a decent pin pointer! It saves loads of time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread