Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We've heard that Robert McDaniel is THE best in the business and have seen examples of his work here on Treasurenet where he fixed a sweet belt buckle for Buckleboy that had been bent in half and the work he has done for Quindy, part of the Tennessee Trio. We also sent him my first noteable CW relic, my US breastplate as well as my husband's breastplate found within weeks of each other. Both had gouges on the rims which were easily fixable.Robert started working on my plate the day he got it and so far said step one in bending it straight is working and the metal seems strong. I'm getting minimal work done to it except that I want the hooks that are missing rebuilt. I know some people feel restoration devalues an item but I don't plan on ever selling it. Robert said in looking at my buckle it was most likely tossed by a soldier and not hit by a plow which makes finding it even sweeter in my eyes,I know those Confederate soldiers were proud of their buckles. I will post pictures in the restoration forum when we get them back.

See the back fresh out of the dirt?

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product! If I ever find anything worth getting restored, I will probably ping you for info.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Post it here also lady.... I'll forget to look in the restoration forum.

Do ya think this guy could restore my horseshoes? :laughing7:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who once had a super CW belt buckle collection I am sorry to hear this. Putting new hooks on the back requires brazing and a total loss of the buckle's original patina and integrity. I am sorry that you would prefer a restored piece over an original, especially because you found it in the state it was in before "restoring" it. You may never sell it but somewhere down the line, maybe in a hundred years it will likely get sold onto the market and someone will likely get burned. Coily, I suppose I am a purist when it comes to CW belt plates and this is not meant to offend you, I just hate to see these "restorations" which most serious collectors call destruction of fine relics.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As someone who once had a super CW belt buckle collection I am sorry to hear this. Putting new hooks on the back requires brazing and a total loss of the buckle's original patina and integrity. I am sorry that you would prefer a restored piece over an original, especially because you found it in the state it was in before "restoring" it. You may never sell it but somewhere down the line, maybe in a hundred years it will likely get sold onto the market and someone will likely get burned. Coily, I suppose I am a purist when it comes to CW belt plates and this is not meant to offend you, I just hate to see these "restorations" which most serious collectors call destruction of fine relics.

I can understand where you're coming from and no worries. I think if I ever did sell it of course I would be upfront and honest and let the buyer know that it was straightened a bit and the two hooks reworked. He doesn't plan on doing much at all to the natural patina because I don't want him to. I've seen this type of dug buckle be a reddish brass color and dug green like mine and I want to keep that original patina. Restorations are kid of like facelifts( not that I would know of course,lol) You want the object to look like itself,only better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread