Prospecting
OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is flood gold that replenishes every so often you could build gold traps all along the waterway. Big rock riffles bars do alot to catch gold.
If you have nuggets then buy a detector.

I actually took an excavator and dug a big hole about 5 foot deep and 4 foot wide and it's been there for about six months. It's already filled in and is only a couple of feet deep now.

I also have these huge boulders and when I say huge I mean huge. Like three people good sit on it. Few feet across and fee feet wide.

I was thinking about taking my winch on my truck and putting some straps around it and moving those boulders to see what's underneath it. But I haven't even started looking yet at all. The first place I'll start is my bed rock that goes down into the creek, I need to see if anything has fallen in the cracks.

It's not a big Creek at all but at times it can be a pretty good water flow. For the most part it just rambles along but when it rains it can move at a pretty good pace. The creek average is about 6 foot wide and it's really shallow but has a few waterfalls air in there several feet high.

My main problem is I'm not educated to be able to tell what gold looks like in it's raw state much less rubies and emerald. Yes I could research this and learn but again I just don't have the time for it right now. I would rather someone who's well experienced and can look at a chunk of rock and identify it as an emerald ruby or gold. I just don't have a clue about any of that stuff.

If they made a detector that was only hit on gold, great. But from what I hear that just hasn't been invented yet!

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I would bump this back up to the top again, to see if anyone’s interested? Been well over a year since my last post. I did buy a new excavator, a Kubota KX 40 which would come in real handy for moving boulders and bigger rocks out of the way! Anyway, if somebody wants to put up a tent along the creek and camp out for a week or three, let’s talk and see if we are a good match!

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just thought I would bump this back up to the top again, to see if anyone’s interested? Been well over a year since my last post. I did buy a new excavator, a Kubota KX 40 which would come in real handy for moving boulders and bigger rocks out of the way! Anyway, if somebody wants to put up a tent along the creek and camp out for a week or three, let’s talk and see if we are a good match!

Here's a thought for you if it is Flour Gold. Stake down a wool Blanket in the stream bed late this fall. Wait until the spring rains have come and gone and pull up the blanket. The wool will trap the fine gold. Use a metal detector or just burn the blanket and pan the ashes. This "Trick" has been done for 100's of years, normally using Sheep Fleeces. They still do it in Turkey. Just a thought for you.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you start by looking for black sand or buckshot (it is often white because it corrodes.) when you find either of those dig out the sand and gravel and pan them. If you find some fine gold particles then advance on with your plans. If you don't find an fine gold particles then you likely don't have a gold bearing stream on your property.

have fun panning.

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a thought for you if it is Flour Gold. Stake down a wool Blanket in the stream bed late this fall. Wait until the spring rains have come and gone and pull up the blanket. The wool will trap the fine gold. Use a metal detector or just burn the blanket and pan the ashes. This "Trick" has been done for 100's of years, normally using Sheep Fleeces. They still do it in Turkey. Just a thought for you.

Wow! Great idea! I like :) But you threw me when you said metal detector, as my understanding is there’s not one that will specifically target gold, but a mixture of many other metals, which makes it hard if not to impossible to differentiate it? Does that still hold true, as has been many moons since I’ve owned one!!!

Still, because of my lifestyle and being a full-time caretaker of a sick wife it’s very difficult for me to get out there and do anything. I’d much rather someone else come along and try!!!

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to come next year and would like to spend a week there. Im sorry to hear about your wife. She comes first. Dont worry about staying in touch frequently, I think most of us would understand. In the mean time. keep us updated on any new details.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have considerable experience hunting gold in north ga so I will share my experience. 1st step are you in gold country? has anyone found gold in your creek upstream or down stream?

typically in north ga, gold can only be found between two major faults that determine the gold area. you can move 100 feet to the west or east of this gold belt and not find gold and no gold has ever been found.

you need to learn to read your creek and find the drop line in the creek. It is not on the inside bend that erodes the bank but on the other side where gravel is accumulated. dig about 1-3 feet from the water in the gravel belt until you get to bedrock.

do more research. why let others do it when you can learn to do it. that is if your creek is in a gold belt or gem area. some other person with knowledge and skill could come in and wipe you out. once creek gold is gone it is basically gone for 10 to 15 thousand years. Gold gets in creeks erosion. stones with gold are washed down from either hillside and the gold bearing stones are worn and crushed by the high water and gold drops out and goes down to bedrock cracks or clay. that is pretty much the dynamics of southern gold deposits in creeks and rivers.

good luck.

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have considerable experience hunting gold in north ga so I will share my experience. 1st step are you in gold country? has anyone found gold in your creek upstream or down stream?

typically in north ga, gold can only be found between two major faults that determine the gold area. you can move 100 feet to the west or east of this gold belt and not find gold and no gold has ever been found.

you need to learn to read your creek and find the drop line in the creek. It is not on the inside bend that erodes the bank but on the other side where gravel is accumulated. dig about 1-3 feet from the water in the gravel belt until you get to bedrock.

do more research. why let others do it when you can learn to do it. that is if your creek is in a gold belt or gem area. some other person with knowledge and skill could come in and wipe you out. once creek gold is gone it is basically gone for 10 to 15 thousand years. Gold gets in creeks erosion. stones with gold are washed down from either hillside and the gold bearing stones are worn and crushed by the high water and gold drops out and goes down to bedrock cracks or clay. that is pretty much the dynamics of southern gold deposits in creeks and rivers.

good luck.

Trust me, if it could be done I would be doing it :) But I’ve been here three years and I haven’t gotten around to it yet as I have explained the many reasons! This has nothing to do with the education of how to do it. Appreciate the advice but I’ve already done that and can say there is at least a possibility of gold yes. Not to mention the TONS of rubies, sapphires, etc. that I couldn’t spot if it was sticking in front of my face. A rockhound would also be a great person to come out here!

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to come next year and would like to spend a week there. Im sorry to hear about your wife. She comes first. Dont worry about staying in touch frequently, I think most of us would understand. In the mean time. keep us updated on any new details.

Is it next year yet? :)

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have mineral rights on your property??

I’m 99% sure. In North Carolina the mineral rights automatically come with the land unless they reserve it but they have to announce that with a special form at closing and I don’t remember anything like that happening! And even if it doesn’t, I’m so remote nobody would ever know anyway lol

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After checking I do have mineral rights. In actuality I probably have a much better chance of finding gemstones as they are way more popular but identifying what they look like in their raw state amongst the millions of other rocks in my creek I think one will have to be an expert.

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumped with an update!

I had somebody come out for a look-see and pick ONE single spot, on a gravel bed, dug down, and after ONE pan, looked fairly excited and said there was a lot of black sand (meaningless to me) and pulled up a small gold flake! (Meaningful to me)

Here is the problem to anyone that’s interested. I’ve only got another couple weeks and then I’m gone and this house is going to be owned by someone else.

So if anyone is interested in a partnership NOW is the time while I own it!!! And maybe I’ll change my mind and KEEP IT!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheaperrooter..you might consider reserving the mineral rights when you sell it.
Then come up once a year to do some mining..or at least get a share of the profits if someone else wanted to mine it.

I know people that reserved right to things such as water, mineral, grazing, timber, ect when they sold.

Sounds like it may be too late for that.

I have to wonder why someone would take a pan down to the creek and wash a single pan of gravel from one spot...get excited then leave without trying a couple different spots??

Last edited:

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I cant believe none of you are jumping on this opportunity :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was once owned by Jacob Waltz

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheaperrooter..you might consider reserving the mineral rights when you sell it.
Then come up once a year to do some mining..or at least get a share of the profits if someone else wanted to mine it.

I know people that reserved right to things such as water, mineral, grazing, timber, ect when they sold.

Sounds like it may be too late for that.

I have to wonder why someone would take a pan down to the creek and wash a single pan of guravel from one spot...get excited then leave without trying a couple different spots??

You make it sound like it was THEIR choice LOL! It was me. I didn’t get a good feeling about the person. Showed up with no announcement, knocking on the door, horrible timing for me as I was in the middle of packing to go out of town and leaving in the next hour.

Really pissed me off as it took a long time to find somebody and they had my number and I am not the easiest house to haphazardly come across. I’m buried in the mountains on 25 plus acres. Not to contact me before coming was just stupid!!!

Mainly however was not putting out good vibes, etc. etc. simply my gut feeling, hairs on the back of the neck, blah blah. It just didn’t seem right and I told them I would get back with him.

The house is being given up, back to the bank :( but it doesn’t have to be if there is color here!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread