Show off your Chickens! Post your favorite foul here...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week, Smokeythecat had a problem with his girls, and lots of members gave good (and not so good) advice... Got me to wonder...will this thread have chicken legs?

Here are my girls, Miss Pepperpot is the black and white Plymouth Bar Rock...
Sofia Eggara is the Americana...

image.jpeg

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice OV... I see Bar rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Americanas, and is that white one a Wyandot? Pretty girls!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice OV... I see Bar rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Americanas, and is that white one a Wyandot? Pretty girls!

There are 8. Two Buffs, two Barred Rocks, two Americanas, a Brahma and a Rhoad Island Red. I need better pictures.

DSCN0047.JPG

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to ask this, I just have to. Why would you name chickens and make them like pets? I mean, I have a cat, always have and I wonder about that. Is it because you get lots of fresh eggs? Or do you like keep them in line by sometimes frying up a member of the flock and that intimidates them? Please don't get mad. I live in a city of over a million(2,000,000 in the county) so I am never on a ranch anymore. My sister has a ranch, but she doesn't have chickens. I don't eat eggs, but love stuff they are used in. Isn't it just easier to go to the grocery and buy 6 or 12 eggs?:dontknow:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask this, I just have to. Why would you name chickens and make them like pets? I mean, I have a cat, always have and I wonder about that. Is it because you get lots of fresh eggs? Or do you like keep them in line by sometimes frying up a member of the flock and that intimidates them? Please don't get mad. I live in a city of over a million(2,000,000 in the county) so I am never on a ranch anymore. My sister has a ranch, but she doesn't have chickens. I don't eat eggs, but love stuff they are used in. Isn't it just easier to go to the grocery and buy 6 or 12 eggs?:dontknow:

2 million People? I don't think my state has that many! :laughing7: My town has 6,000 people...
I thought an egg was an egg until I tried fresh eggs. Much better! 25 eggs a week is our average.

DSCN0021.JPG

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because I am a supportive husband who wants nothing more than for his wife to be happy happy... Our chickens are pets. Ft. Myers for who knows how long has had an ordinance preventing backyard chickens. That changed in November, when after years of hard work, we were able to spearhead a movement that allows a pilot program to encourage folks like us, to keep egg layers for personal consumption. We are limited to 4 hens, no roosters...but we only have 2 girls for now. The chickens are indeed pets, we love them just as much as our 3 dogs, 2 cats, 3 birds, and our fish, whose name is Antonio Banderas...

My chickens are still pullets, too young to be laying eggs, probably in a month or so they should start squeezing out some samples...Have you seen the price of a dozen organic, free range eggs? Almost $6 at our Publix store, compared to the generic white eggs, mass produced in cruel facilities, still $3 or so...and it's really not about the money, it's about personal preference...

and there is nothing like fresh eggs...the yoke is a dark yellow, almost orange color, and the taste is so much better.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you eat fresh eggs you can't go back. They are good for allergies and ailments of all sorts. I can't help but buy fresh eggs from the farmers around here.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Farm fresh eggs is just like anything home grown or home made. Its just better. I've lived my whole life in farm country, I can hardly eat fruits and veggies that come in tin cans. Home canned and home frozen fruits and veggie are a million times better.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I don't have birds of any kind right now. I've been getting my eggs (last couple years) from friends and neighbors. Many of them have just started raising small flocks. Partially because they eat ticks, and ticks and lymes disease has become a problem locally.
For several yrs before that, I bought eggs from old order mennonites (horse and buggy mennonites) which I am surrounded by. Not a bad thing.
I haven't raised layers for awhile. I've raised meat chickens and turkeys a couple yrs that the mennonites kill and clean for me. I have also raised chickens for their hackle. And have raised pheasants and quail for dog training. I've been tempted to get guineas again because they make perfect watch dogs.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duck eggs are even better, if you like a dark rich yolk. Some folks say they are better for baking.:thumbsup:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, thanks. That answered my question totally and now I understand. Forgive me for doubting...

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok guys and gals.... Post those chicken pics! I know you are out there!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duck eggs are even better, if you like a dark rich yolk. Some folks say they are better for baking.:thumbsup:

I have to ask: Are the ducks eggs or the ducks are better for baking? Do ducks lay eggs every day or almost everyday?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For people like myself, who buy eggs in stores. Don't be fool, and buy Jumbo eggs because they are the same size as extra large, but more expenses. If you do not believe me, check the sizes in the store.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask: Are the ducks eggs or the ducks are better for baking? Do ducks lay eggs every day or almost everyday?

I don't bake Sam....but I've heard duck eggs are better in baking, such as pies, cookies and cakes. I think, but not sure, ducks only lay eggs when they are breeding??:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread