All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just got my excal and was very surprised by the laws of NC concerning water detecting in navigable waters. ...

Do you have a link to laws that cover "navigable waters in NC", that say md'ing is a no-no ?

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a link to laws that cover "navigable waters in NC", that say md'ing is a no-no ?
Yes. That is why I am asking the question.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any NC boys?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Best thing to do is get out and hunt it. And stay away from Historical parcels. Most of the time, people will call the police, the police will come and not know the laws, then they will have to call the department of Natural Resources and all they do is tell you if you can or not. My best tip is to go hunting when the least amount of eyes are around. I try and go during the week and early, not on holidays or weekends to the sensitive spots.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yes. That is why I am asking the question.

Well if the answer is "yes" (that you have a link) can you give that link to us ? What do you have that is saying md'ing is a no-no in navigable waters of NC ?

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if the answer is "yes" (that you have a link) can you give that link to us ? What do you have that is saying md'ing is a no-no in navigable waters of NC ?
121-22. Title to bottoms of certain waters and shipwrecks, etc., thereon declared to be in State.-- Subject to chapter 82 of the General Statutes, entitled "Wrecks" and to the provisions of chapter 210, Session Laws of 1963 [121-7, 121.8.1 to 121-8.3 and 143-31.2], and to any statute of the United States, the title to all bottoms of navigable waters within one marine league seaward from the Atlantic seashore measured from the extreme low watermark; and the title to all shipwrecks, vessels, cargoes, tackle, and underwater archaeological artifacts which have remained unclaimed for more than 10 years lying on the said bottoms, or on the bottoms of any other navigable waters of the State, is hereby declared to be in the State of North Carolina, and such bottoms, shipwrecks, vessels, cargoes, tackle, and underwater archaeological artifacts shall be subject to the exclusive dominion and control of the State. (1967, c.533, s.1)

This article is what had me confused. last line " underwater archaeological artifacts shall be subject to the exclusive dominion and control of the State. (1967, c.533, s.1)" Since, I have contacted authorities and they said this article has to do with sunken ships and boats. Then there was the penalty and fines. 3yrs in jail up to $5000 in fines. Had me spoked. Thanks for the replies guys

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... This article is what had me confused. last line " underwater archaeological artifacts shall be subject to the exclusive dominion and control of the State.....

Can: Thanx for the cut & paste. That's dealing with shipwreck salvor stuff. Not fumble fingers beach goer recreation stuff. Are you searching shipwrecks, ala Mel Fisher type fashion ?

If your'e just doing beach hunting for coins/rings of recreational beach-goer stuff, then how do you figure that applies ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Try this: See if you can find similar wording for any ocean front state. I bet you can find similar wording. And then look and I'll bet there's ample people md'ing the beaches. Hence that's why I say: Not meant to apply to non-wreck type hunting.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom thanks for the help. I was confused when reading the articles "for shipwrecks and boats" on the bottom with collecting "scattered relics". I made a call to the state archeologist for proper clarification. Still getting a handle on the definition on relics, artifacts, and archeology. Still not sure what the difference is.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... I made a call to the state archeologist for proper clarification.....

Well let me guess: He will no doubt say the verbage applies to individual wheat pennies, merc dimes, etc.... What did you expect to come from a purist archie ?

So too could we probably get the same answer from a state-of-CA archaeologist, re: the state beaches here. Yet you can hunt them till you're blue in the face.

To ask such a person, is kind of like asking a PETA rep: "Can I leave my pet bunny in the car while I run into 7-11 to get a slurpee?". They would screech "Neeoo! The bunny could suffer in the sun! You can be arrested for animal cruelty! Your car can be confiscated!" etc... (and probably even cite dire sounding laws to back up what they're saying). But seriously now: What did you expect coming from an animal rights wacko advocate? Did anyone else beside them really care ? Of course not. Hence I also don't put much stock into what some archies say on the meaning or threat of the law.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, just the opposite. He was really cool. Just stay off the wrecks, stay out of identified historical areas, and finally enjoy the hobby. He also asked me if I find any sunken wrecks to let him know. I told him of one I found while bass fishing. He was interested. Remember this original question has to do with inland waters(which the state owns the bottom and everything on it) not ocean.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
No, just the opposite. He was really cool. Just stay off the wrecks, stay out of identified historical areas, and finally enjoy the hobby.....

Can, well you've found and asked a non-purist archie who interprets the law as I had previously in this post. Good going.

But just sayin' you could just as easily have gotten one that's a purist . And screeched "no". Someone else or higher up in that same dept. could say "no". Depending how the question is worded. So just sayin': "be careful" .

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY WATER RELATED QUESTIONS - YOU SHOULD ASK ON THE BEACH FORUM - IM SURE THERE ARE SOME NC GUYS THAT CAN ANSWER TO THEIR EXPERIENCES

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread