1st post - Need advice

xpauliber

Jun 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been an active outdoorsman all my life in central-PA and I've come across quite a few old homesteads and I've always been intrigued by the history of who lived there, when, what happened to the place, etc.

I even got into solo backpacking this spring and actually spent the night in one of the cellar holes that I found and reflected on how so many memories were probably made there by someone and I was still making memories there. I found the old spring house where they probably drew water from and even found some old broken glass farther down the spring.

Anyways, I started thinking about what it would be like to find some old relics or pieces of history from some of these places I've found and I started searching online and found this site along with many videos of people doing this on YouTube. It's started to consume more and more of my time thinking about it and I actually had a dream the other night (or nightmare rather) about this one particular site from the late 1800's I found where someone beat me to it and discovered all of the buried items. And keep in mind, I DONT EVEN HAVE A METAL DETECTOR YET!!

So my question is, should I even embark on this new journey or will full-blown addiction quickly ensue?? I may already be there. :laughing7:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
So my question is, should I even embark on this new journey or will full-blown addiction quickly ensue?? I may already be there.
laughing7.gif

yes and yes, welcome to Tnet and the Md hunting addiction

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
So I've been an active outdoorsman all my life in central-PA and I've come across quite a few old homesteads and I've always been intrigued by the history of who lived there, when, what happened to the place, etc.

I even got into solo backpacking this spring and actually spent the night in one of the cellar holes that I found and reflected on how so many memories were probably made there by someone and I was still making memories there. I found the old spring house where they probably drew water from and even found some old broken glass farther down the spring.

Anyways, I started thinking about what it would be like to find some old relics or pieces of history from some of these places I've found and I started searching online and found this site along with many videos of people doing this on YouTube. It's started to consume more and more of my time thinking about it and I actually had a dream the other night (or nightmare rather) about this one particular site from the late 1800's I found where someone beat me to it and discovered all of the buried items. And keep in mind, I DONT EVEN HAVE A METAL DETECTOR YET!!

So my question is, should I even embark on this new journey or will full-blown addiction quickly ensue?? I may already be there. :laughing7:

LOL, if you are already having dreams about treasures and especially someone beating you to them, it's too late to turn back! You've been bitten by the Treasure Bug and the only way to keep from having withdrawal symptoms, is to continue to feed the need to find treasure. First off, get you a metal detector...some diggers...small shovel...a good knife...gloves and lots of treasure magazines. Second, continue the research...find out who owns the properties...get permission to hunt the properties and as always, follow the Laws and Rules no matter where you hunt.

Good luck and happy treasure hunting and by the way, welcome to Treasure Net!

Frank

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry to say, it appears you've caught the fever. Once you pull silver out of the ground or a great old relic it will become an instant addiction. As with most addictions, it's a hard one to break. I've been at it for more than 35 years and it only gets worse. Unfortunately for you, you're in central PA which is one of the oldest sections of the country. You are bound to come up with colonial era coins, buttons, buckles and a load of other great things. The addiction will only get worse.

Good luck!

Don

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.....find out who owns the properties...get permission to hunt the properties ...

Frank, just wondering: If the O.P. has already been there hiking around there to have seen these foundations and cellar holes. And he even spent the night there camped out no less. Then ... who gave him permission to be standing there to have seen these things ?

If it's just random woods that persons hike or walk their dog in (such that his walking there was innocuous), then why is md'ing somehow evil or harmful enough that it needs further added permissions ?

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey we all could be investing time in other activities that aren't as innocent as digging trash & treasure from the earth. You've already done the scouting for awesome sites and might as well pull the trigger on a detector and other gear in pursuit of enjoying your passion.

GL & HH

I look forward to seeing your 1st "Today's Finds" post.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep.... You have all the symptoms. Only antibiotic is an MD buddy. Welcome to T-net. I too look forward to your first post in "Today's Finds"... :occasion14:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard and can't wait to see your first post. You are already hooked.

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in central Pa. too, don't buy that detector ! Just show me those spots and I'll let you know what I find. LOL

OP
OP
X

xpauliber

Jun 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in central Pa. too, don't buy that detector ! Just show me those spots and I'll let you know what I find. LOL

LMAO....Bruce, were you the guy in my nightmare??? Haha

OP
OP
X

xpauliber

Jun 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the replies and look forward to posting my finds!

Another thing that I'm so intrigued about is trying to preserve our history. A lot of these treasures are literally on the verge of being lost forever. I came to that realization after both my grandpas passed away and they took all their memories/stories with them and I was too young/stupid at the time and I didn't talk to them about their childhood and the past and so all of that is lost. There's something about the thought of picking up a 100 year old coin and knowing that I'm holding a piece of history that was almost completely forgotten.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another thing that I'm so intrigued about is trying to preserve our history. A lot of these treasures are literally on the verge of being lost forever. I came to that realization after both my grandpas passed away and they took all their memories/stories with them and I was too young/stupid at the time and I didn't talk to them about their childhood and the past and so all of that is lost. There's something about the thought of picking up a 100 year old coin and knowing that I'm holding a piece of history that was almost completely forgotten.
Bud, if you are already this passionate about history, you have to start detecting!! You just have to. Get a detecter, dig that flat button or old horse tack buckle. Build a fire and pitch that tent, lay there and watch the sun go down and think about the past. Better than any drug.[emoji482]

HH, Relic Nut

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your post is so spot on.... Get a good MD... "PLAY"... "LEARN"... and post the finds your first finds no matter how important they are.... Just jump in feet first guy... Your gonna do good!!!! :thumbsup:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet. Yep, it's got a hold on you and I'd say go for it!
The next nightmare will be wading through which detector to buy.

OP
OP
X

xpauliber

Jun 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet. Yep, it's got a hold on you and I'd say go for it!
The next nightmare will be wading through which detector to buy.

I've been already going through that nightmare but really leaning towards a Garret AT Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread