Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The original site of the city I live in is on a slight hill. Been a city about 150 years. It was an indian village with a river next to it. The river is only 2-3 feet deep there in many spots.
I can imagine people bathing and swimming there after it became a town and city.
Should I get in the river and detect there? Is it a stupid idea?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Safety first. Beyond that you won't know if it's worth it or not. Don't drown.
You could try magnet fishing it too.
If water allows visibility ,wade upstream so not to silt your line of sight when scooping,gloving stuff out.
Being a river and our history of dumping any and every thing into waterways in the past there will likely be everything in there. Wear good gloves and hard-soled footwear and be prepared to address cuts on your legs.

If you like crayfish you can soak a trap while you detect. Check laws first.
We only recently have been allowed to transport "rusty" invasive crays for eating, as they must be alive before use. Need a fishing licence here too.
Some places where the invasive's are out numbering natives ,only the rusties are kept by those trapping them.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff, I think you should at least give it a try. You don't want to be forever wishing you had. But, I'd be concerned about your detector. I've sure slipped on rocks and taken many spills into the water myself.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience you'll find a LOT of big iron junk in rivers. I found an old safe that was missing the door. I didn't find much, but the potential is very good if you have the patience. If its clay it makes it very difficult to find a target in the scoop.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's 2-3 feet deep I recommend a mask and snorkel and weight belt. Just fan down to targets and use your eyes. It's much easier than scooping

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous safety issues that have to be addressed before I would enter the water. I have seen waterways near the mouth of a bay that have enough muck to suck you down deep enough to know that the only way you're getting out is with the help from others,, to pull you out.
The speed and strength of the current can definitely cause loss of equipment and lead to possible injury or drowning. Not only should you have the proper protective wetsuit and boots, you should be aware of slippery bottoms and rocks.
The river may have dropoffs and slopes that can be dangerous.
Now if you're absolutely sure that the river is only 3 or 4 feet from shore to shore, and the bottom is safe, with a slow current, go get your water wings and have at it.
HH

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just know that where the river was back a century or two may not be where the river runs today. Heck they dig up old paddle wheelers in corn fields since the Mississippi river has change course slightly over the centuries. The inner banks on a river bend will be your best bet to find the older items IMHO.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see the bottom.
I will probably try it in july or august when it is lowest
I will use my beachscoop

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see the bottom.
I will probably try it in july or august when it is lowest
I will use my beachscoop

Damn Jeff... if I was closer I'd be the first to join you. I know / admit that what I did in the undocumented cave I found might have been risky I'd go with ya. Doesn't make it "right" but I'd have to know and/or try. But that's just me.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's 2-3 feet deep I recommend a mask and snorkel and weight belt. Just fan down to targets and use your eyes. It's much easier than scooping

while it may be most efficient, I cannot drink beer with a mask on ( hence my forgoing bank jobs)

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heck I may find a model a

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went looking, brought up a map of the USA. Clicked in PA and came up with a surrounding list:

BLUE HOLE BARRONVALE--PA

BUTTERMILK FALLS - HOMEWOOD--PA

CHAGRIN FALLS-CHAGRIN FALLS AREA-OH

CINDERS-NESHANNOCK CREEK AREA-PA

COOK FOREST S. P.--PA

CREEK FALLS--PA

DAVIDSVILLE--PA

EL RIO BEACH-NESHANNOCK CREEK AREA-PA

ELIJAH ROCK--PA

FAIRHOPE-FAIRHOPE AREA-PA

FLAT ROCK--PA

GOOSEBERRY-FAIRHOPE AREA-PA

HORSEFLY-NESHANNOCK CREEK AREA-PA

KELLETTVILLE--PA

KELLY STATION ROAD-FORD CITY AREA-PA

LITTLE SEWICKLEY CREEK--PA

LOLETA--PA

MEADOW RUN SLIDE-OHIOPYLE AREA-PA

NELSON LEDGES QUARRY PARK--OH

PAPER MILL BRIDGE-NESHANNOCK CREEK AREA-PA

PICNIC AREA-CHAUTAUQUA GORGE AREA-NY

PUNDERSON STATE PARK--OH

QUAKERTOWN FALLS--PA

ROBINSON HOLE--PA

ROCK FURNACE TRAIL-FORD CITY AREA-PA

SALAMANCA--NY

SKINNY DIP FALLS-CHAUTAUQUA GORGE AREA-NY

SQUAW ROCK-CHAGRIN FALLS AREA-OH

TATMAN RUN-TROUGH CREEK AREA-PA

THE TUBBS--OH

THORN CREEK--PA

TIONESTA--PA

TROUGH CREEK S. P.-TROUGH CREEK AREA-PA

WINTERGREEN GORGE--PA

WONDER FALLS-BIG SANDY CREEK AREA-WV

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ooook, I'm in central INdiana

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Put down the beer, put on the mask with the snorkle, go slow and look. Wear some gloves if you like, probably swim trunks too and enjoy. Water is crystal clear here in the hill country and even I have found points. And you get to see little fishes and even big ones swimming by. Plus, there is a bonus. Depending on the old "swimming hole" location(find this first)there are teenaged and college aged girls in bikinis to help you search and occupy your time. I don't recommend a camera though. The jail time is too steep, that is, if they don't drown you first...

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is bedrock exposure, just look for depressions or other "traps" that would catch dense metal and either fan away the silt or dig and sift, I've found lots of coins and a gold ring doing this in creeks. If it's a decent spot then there will be so much metal that detecting will be pointless.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It sounds like the river here in Arkansas my friend and I detect. The snorkel thing is way more trouble than it's worth. We have Pirate detectors we use in the water and wade out and work places with water up to our chests. Hit the places the swimming holes are and go slow. You will find lots of junk but a lot of this too...d2 001.JPG 004.JPG

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's what I'm talkin about

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the "Blue Money" you see is silver. The big coin is an 1853 half dollar best I remember. Our river turns silver the purtiest blue color. What you see in the picture is the first day last year in a new swimming hole. You are going to be amazed at what jewelry people wear in swimming and how much money and other neat stuff they will lose. One of my favorite things from last year out of this hole was a fur buying company watch fob from the 1920's. Be sure and post some pictures...d2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread