jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pittsburg dispatch. (Pittsburg [Pa.]), 29 May 1892.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

Pittsburg dispatch. (Pittsburg [Pa.]) 1880-1923, May 29, 1892, Page 19, Image 19 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

OP
OP
GA_Boy

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, what the inventor didn't know was that he could do just as well with a forked stick or a pebble hanging from a thread. Dowsing has been around for Centuries. :icon_thumleft: I might add that some are very successful at it.
Marvin

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first machine I used was a Whites gold master in 1975 - one of the biggest boxes out there - I had to used 2 hands to swing -I was 12

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
If anyone is in Oregon with some spare time on their hands, you could find worse ways to spend that time than at Whites in Sweet Home. They have a small 'museum' on site that has some of their machines from the times when they were making uranium detectors, then switched when to metal detectors when the government stopped buying it.
Alexander Graham Bell would be proud, no?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jeff, what the inventor didn't know was that he could do just as well with a forked stick or a pebble hanging from a thread. Dowsing has been around for Centuries. :icon_thumleft: I might add that some are very successful at it.
Marvin

Marvin, that list seems to start in the late 1970s or early 1980s for Fisher. Aside from the "m-scope" mention, nothing is said about their '70's models and earlier. For example: The T-10 , T-20 and Orion 120. I'd have liked to have seen some introduction dates for those.

And as for the dowsing doing "just as well" as detectors: I'll bite: Can you show us citations or links of anyone doing coin-hunting that way ? Ie.: beaches, parks, schools, etc... with forked sticks, or pebbles hanging on strings ? Sheesk, I coulda saved a lot of money using those to detect. Versus these expensive detectors I've been buying ! (silly me).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If anyone is in Oregon with some spare time on their hands, you could find worse ways to spend that time than at Whites in Sweet Home. They have a small 'museum' on site that has some of their machines ....

Would love to see that. Whites did assemble a list of all their offerings of detectors. However, unfortunately, it lacked dates of introductions :( If you clicked to see the instruction manual, you could sometimes deduce a publication date. However, that wasn't necessarily the date of the introduction of that/those particular models. It could simply be a revision, or re-printing, etc.... :/

OP
OP
GA_Boy

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marvin, that list seems to start in the late 1970s or early 1980s for Fisher. Aside from the "m-scope" mention, nothing is said about their '70's models and earlier. For example: The T-10 , T-20 and Orion 120. I'd have liked to have seen some introduction dates for those.

And as for the dowsing doing "just as well" as detectors: I'll bite: Can you show us citations or links of anyone doing coin-hunting that way ? Ie.: beaches, parks, schools, etc... with forked sticks, or pebbles hanging on strings ? Sheesk, I coulda saved a lot of money using those to detect. Versus these expensive detectors I've been buying ! (silly me).
Me thinks (Me knows)you missed the point entirely. My comment was to Jeff concerning the article he posted on the guy using a baited divining device.
Marvin
PS, You didn't waste any money.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my late fathers old "Coinmaster".... I think it uses around 100 D-cell batteries (maybe less but a lot). I think he bought it in the early 70's.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Would love to see that. Whites did assemble a list of all their offerings of detectors. However, unfortunately, it lacked dates of introductions
sad.gif
If you clicked to see the instruction manual, you could sometimes deduce a publication date. However, that wasn't necessarily the date of the introduction of that/those particular models. It could simply be a revision, or re-printing, etc.... :/

try here
White's Electronics

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just gave me an idea!
If i camouflage my detector as a large forked stick....maybe the general public will totally ignore me thinking i'm a "strange".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Why would you poke fun?:dontknow: Inquiring minds would like to know.
Marvin

No. I said YOU were "Poking fun" at dowsing, not me. So now you're saying you were serious ? Ok then I refer you to post #8 again.

Do you have any examples of someone coin-hunting with dowsing ? Either pre-detectors or currently ? NOT TALKING jars, caches, treasures, lost mines, etc... (which will simply be a bash-fest). I'm talking coin-shooting. Ie.: in the fashion of how there's no shortage of us hobbyists plying the beaches, parks, schools, cellar holes, etc.... in search of fumble fingers coins & relics.

If dowsing is able to do the same venue of detecting (even if only for certain "gifted" invidividuals), then I'd love to see the story of any such cases.

But to my knowledge, any time the subject of dowsing comes up, it's for treasures of cache caliber. Not coin-hunting for individual solo coins. Oddly though, they will claim there is an ability to chase individual coins or rings. Yet curiously, there's never any citations of anyone actually doing it. For solo individual coins, as in park or beach fashion.

OP
OP
GA_Boy

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dear friend Tom_in_Ca----------I do not hunt coins with a pendulum, however some do. I find that it takes too long so I stick with my detector for coins, jewelry, and relics. Some folks do coin hunt at times with pendulum, rods, etc. rather than use a detector.
I have found underground stuff with Pendulum and Rods---------------as a matter of fact was employed by a Construction Company and part of my job was to locate underground utilities.
It makes no difference to whether you or anyone else believes or disbelieves in dowsing, however, this is generally a detector related forum although it is General.
Do some research and you will see what others claim, but with respect to this forum I'll try not to mention Dowsing anymore.
Marvin

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Some folks do coin hunt at times with pendulum, rods, etc. rather than use a detector.

Yes. You are merely confirming what I said in post # 16, that the claim is out there. That it's NOT just for water, caches, etc.... That , as you yourself say, that some do it for individual fumble fingers losses (rings, coins, etc... in the same fashion that many do with detectors).

Yet, curiously, no examples of this exist. And curiously, you too fail to give any examples, though you say "some do it".

Let's put it this way GA Boy: The "today's find" section of this, and all other md'ing forums, is FILLED with us md'rs doing our show & tell of our finds. Right ? We LOVE to show off our trophies, right ? Hence the finds forums are FILLED with hobbyist show & tell fumble fingers stuff, right ? Coins from stage stops, park turf, beach, cellar holes, etc... Right ?

Ok, ask yourself: Where are all the show & tell from those using plumb-bobs and dowsing ? Curiously, they're not there. Do I hear the sound of crickets now ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread