Explain it like Im 5...please!!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For Adults Only! You have to understand inductance.

Science is the definition of units. Math is the accounting of those units. The coil has a property called inductance. The unit of inductance is the "Henry". If you put a conductor (metal) near the coil, you change its "inductance". Inductance by definition is the ability to oppose a change in current flow. Capacitance is the ability to oppose a change in voltage. The "capacitor" of your detector is in the detectors control box. The detector creates a "radio frequency" that is determined by the inductance of the coil and the capacitance value of the capacitor. If you put metal near your inductor (the coil) you change the inductance. Two equal coils of wire have the same inductance. A coil with metal in it will have more inductance than a coil with out.

So basically you have a radio in your hands when you metal detect. The radio is tuned by coil and a capacitor. When metal changes the coils inductance, you hear a beep from the detector! There are many ways to use the property of inductance to detect metal. I can't go into all of them. So in a nutshell the detector just measures a change in inductance. Maybe somebody else can come up with a simpler explanation...

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sooo...how does a television work?...

I think I just learned that if you wave a search coil in front of it, it might not work. If that is true, the correct answer can only be "don't wave a search coil in front of it".

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2016-06-19_18-57-25.jpg

finderskeepers likes this