Asking for advice

BismarckDon

Jul 5, 2016
Bismarck, North Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody. I'm a brand new member and brand new to the hobby. My wife and I want to enjoy metal detecting together. We live in Bismarck, North Dakota. We just purchased our first detector and are waiting for it to arrive. It is a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger that was on deep discount online. Since our detector hasn't arrived yet, I have no experience with it yet. We are looking at buying a second detector, and I want the second machine to be at least as good or better than the first. We will be searching locally. No beaches or salt water. Our ground is primarily black dirt. We will be searching for coins, jewelry, etc in parks, river banks, etc. can anyone give me some advice or opinions regarding our second machine? Thanks!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with a detector that did not have a VDI. I mainly dig by sound, but seeing numbers on a screen can aid in the decision to dig or not. I am also a big fan of the DD coil. Being that your both beginners I would look at some videos of these models

Fisher F2, F22 & F44
Teknetics Delta & Euro Tech Pro
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Whites Treasuremaster

Most of these have present ground balance since you are planning on primarily hunting in Loam I do believe the presets should work fine. The Land Ranger Pro is the best bang for the buck and has ground balance capabilities, but all listed are $300 or less except the LRP it's a few bucks more.

If you can afford about $500 I'd look at the classic T2 or Garret AT Pro.

I used the Kellyco site to review detector spec side by side. I have also bought some accessories from them and never had a problem.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; A few suggestions. Make sure you get a GOOD set of headphones for each detector. You can't find what you can't hear ok. I recommend the Grey Ghost or Killer Bees Headphones. They run $75 & $125 respectively. You will NEVER need another set EVER ok. Next you need a good digging trowel. Get a Lesche Digger. I love it. Next you want to get a PinPointer. Being new you will NEED to practice pinpointing with your detector. Then the pinpointer will locate the target EXACTLY so you "know" where to dig ok. I recommend the Garrett Propointer AT. It works great. Has the best abilities to "accurately" pinpoint your finds as well. Very accurate. It runs $125. It will save you a TON of time digging. That way your not digging a large hole for a penny ok.
Get a digging apron to put your finds in as you dig. Stops having a lot of dirt and trash in your pocket. A trick I use is I being a big guy cut the straps of a second apron and then tie each strap to each strap tightly on the good apron. This way you can tie the apron on in front of you instead of having to try to tie it on in the back which is a real pain in the neck ok. You will want to get a 10x Magnifying glass called a Jewelers Loupe ok. $10. With these items for each detector you are very ready to go digging. Also you will NEVER need anything else for your detectors.
You do want to get a detector that has a VDI Screen and Auto Ground Balance. Ground Mineralization can throw your detector way off. Give you a LOT of false signals and seriously reduce your Depth. The Auto Ground Balance does a great job of stopping that ok. The VDI will closely tell you what the target is before you dig it. Great asset to have. Seriously reduces digging pull tabs and foil and trash ok.
NOW: You need to learn how to dig a hole PROPERLY ok. Anyone can dig a hole but to dig one PROPERLY is an Art form. What I do is I pinpoint the target with my detector. I push my trowel into the ground a few inches away from the target and dig a small round plug around the target and flip the plug over. I then use the pinpointer, ( I'm getting one), to accurately locate the target. If it is a little deeper dig out the dirt by digging around the edges of the plug and then place the dirt in a NEAT pile right beside the hole. Recover the item. Recheck the hole with the pinpointer to make sure there are no more targets in the same hole. Push ALL of the dirt back in the hole and reset the plug back in place. When you stand back up, step on the plug to push it down. You are now done and no one will see the hole you just dug. Also no pets will get hurt from stepping in your hole and hurting their legs ok. One CARDINAL RULE here is to fill in ALL of your holes no matter where you are "EVER". We are adamant about this ok. Good Luck and Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome to TNET!

Good luck as you pursue a new and fun hobby. There should be a lot of older homes and sites there in Bismarck and Mandan. If you have the chance don't forget forget to check out some of the old abandoned farm sites in the area.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet!
You have just entered into a hobby that will stay with you for a LONG time - its an addictive pastime! :thumbsup:
Black dirt, probably mineralized soil, so you need to ground balance your machine for better performance.
There are so many makes out there, but get one with good warranty, tough and powerful.
A mid-range/priced machine, maybe a water-proofed one, but get something that once you have it, use-it a-LOT,
learn it well, and it will provide you and yours with endless enjoyment!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome,

Many have already given excellent advice, so I will only mention a few.

Digger: "Predator tools" - Raptor 31 C
Garrett Pro pointer II
A GOOD treasure/trash pouch

" If you're not digging nickels, pull tabs and foil; you're not digging GOLD."

Always remove your trash from your plug and if you see a pull tab or screw top on the surface; pick it up. Why dig it later when it has time to sink a bit.

Most of all HAVE FUN!

GL & HH

Doc

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would get another just like the one you have so that you can both learn the same machine together and learn from each other. Then when you are ready to upgrade go with the AT Pro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread